Pedal Power - Bikes, lets see them!

Here's a place for the group to discuss their other brands of bikes, hobbies, and personal interests not related to Ural & Dnepr Sidecar rigs. But not politics...
Forum rules
Here's the place to chat about off-topic stuff, hobbies, and other toys you got. No political posts, they will be deleted and the poster warned. We're not always "politically correct", but the Steeds site is apolitical.
gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Re: Pedal Power - Bikes, lets see them!

Post by gobium » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:14 pm

chaos2 wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:37 am
gobium wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:29 am
Resized_20200708_201250.jpeg
2wd
I want to see a video of you riding that thing! :lurker: :D

chaos2
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by chaos2 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:31 pm

Thanks! that thing looks awesome!
Past afflictions include limey motocars and bikes, R60/2, R65ls, & a Citroen.
Now a DB Haanjo and Canyon CF SL Endurace, '87 K75s,
and a rusty 2012 GU bought new
dual K&N cones on homemade intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles, Modtop exhaust, E starter delete
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

lendrinkard
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by lendrinkard » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:51 pm

Van that is one amazing ride.
2012 Gear up - 130/40 jet, 3 shims, no mid-pipe, drilled slider, 2013 Branch pipes, all LED lights
2013 NOS Ural T - 130/42 jet, 2 shims, LED running lights, oil cooler

Desantnik-VDV
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Desantnik-VDV » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:06 pm

Lightweight last bike I still rode and stopped a few years ago. Hanging upside down in my garage. Picture was taken when new...installed clit pedals right away.

I liked 1980's still Colnagos. We use to wear leather shoes with aluminum clits riveted by our trainer. Did both - velodrome (trek) and roads in my teenage years. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alex
2007 GearUp - BMD (Боевая Машина Десанта)

The rest is just history.

cheeseheadmike
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by cheeseheadmike » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:34 pm

That Twicycle is pretty nifty.

That Colnago is nice. I used to do brevet rides with a guy that could snap the bottom bracket shell off of a Colnago. Not once but twice.

Something that is a when, not an if, for those of us that ride. My sister wiped out on a downhill Tuesday. She doesn’t remember the crash but broke a tibia and shattered a knee cap in the aftermath. She’s having surgery on the 26th. I asked her if she was trying to upstage me in the Spectacular Crash category (she’s damn close) and told her she was too old to be doing here own stunts.
cheeseheadmike

1973 Velosolex 3800-slow, 1977 Velosolex 4600-really slow
1979 Honda CX500-not slow at all
Various bicycles from 1947 to 2018-slow to fast, depending on my mood
2007 Ural Gear Up

Desantnik-VDV
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Desantnik-VDV » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:23 pm

cheeseheadmike wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:34 pm

That Colnago is nice. I used to do brevet rides with a guy that could snap the bottom bracket shell off of a Colnago. Not once but twice.

Something that is a when, not an if, for those of us that ride. My sister wiped out on a downhill Tuesday. She doesn’t remember the crash but broke a tibia and shattered a knee cap in the aftermath. She’s having surgery on the 26th. I asked her if she was trying to upstage me in the Spectacular Crash category (she’s damn close) and told her she was too old to be doing here own stunts.
At the start of 4 x 4 (from each side of the trek) pursuit race I was 1st and somehow managed to spin the rear sprocket on a trek bike when got up from the saddle and pushed hard at the start. My feet start spinning free after a few meters. Not that I was a super powerful racer. I think the threads on the wheel or the sprocket were already bad. We got our second chance when my rear wheel was replaced. :lol:

I also had a crush hitting another cyclist, who was getting off the trek at the time I was going full speed to do 500 meters. Tried to avoid going off the trek. Hit his bike rear wheel, came airborne, made culprit and landed. Next day came to the taining in a gypsum cast over my wrist.

4-5 years ago on the way back home (on another Italian bike - red Fausto Coppi) with a friend, who was following me after our short 15 mikes ride I was pedaling hands free due to lowerback pain...going over a bump 3 blocks before reaching home my saddle broke, I bum went behind the rear wheel, shoes cleats came off the pedals. I hit the ground with my bum, landed on my left elbow, lost a chunk of flesh, could see the bone. After a few cuss words got up, picked up my saddle, got on the bike and reached home in standing pedaling... Used some hydrogen peroxide, tweezers and small scissors to clean and pack the wound. I went to the ER later. It took a month to gain good flesh :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alex

cheeseheadmike
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by cheeseheadmike » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:22 am

My last race on the velodrome, luckily, never really got started. The outdoor track in Northbrook, IL did amateur racing on Thursday nights. There were about 30 of us lined up for a 25 lapper. We did the Roll Out lap and one guy jumped the gun coming out of the last turn. We restarted and coming into the third turn, all, and I mean all, the lights went out. There was a lot of squealing tires and “Oh, $#!+”. I don’t know how it happened, but no one went down. It would have been carnage if that one guy hadn’t jumped the previous lap. It was so dark, you couldn’t see the guy next to you. Folks in the infield used their cell phones so we could find our way off the track. This was back in the days of Nokia, so it was a green glow.

Turned out that although all the tees were crossed and the eyes dotted on the permit for the track to stay open for one more hour, no one reset the timer on the lights. That race that never was is now known as ‘The Night Terrors’

That was Thursday, the following Monday I was in the ER getting stitched up after getting bounced off the bumper of a Mitsubishi.
cheeseheadmike

2007 Ural Gear Up

tgtrotter
Commissar
Commissar

Post by tgtrotter » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:29 pm

The pet trailer is the new toy. Been thinking about a new Trek. A Verve II or another low entry MTB. Scott has some entry level MTB too. Anyone have experience with Scott ?
Screenshot_20200610-181137.jpg
Screenshot_20200826-142219.jpg
2007 Woodland Green Patrol :foilhead:
Powertrain OEM
2004 FLTRI :machinegun:
1992 Trek 830 :P

tgtrotter
Commissar
Commissar

Post by tgtrotter » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:46 pm

cheeseheadmike wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:34 pm

Sorry about your Sis. I hate that stuff. A few months ago I was coasting about 15 mph leaning into a downhill turn and my rear tire sidewall tore and collapsed. I freaked for a sec while I slid some. I didn't know it was happening until I parked about 5 mins later and seen this huge bulge. It was an aha moment. Maybe my pet trailer took some of the weight and helped it from blowing completely, I don't know. BUT since then I am using my helmet 100%. Can't stop thinking what if I crashed and got conked out with my dogs following or onboard. I have to be there for them.

I've had tons of crashes and a few races. Not sanctioned. The last race and crash I can remember was with a bus. I was 13. Mechanical failure, handle bars broke at goose neck. I lost. Cut my chin, chest and balls.
2007 Woodland Green Patrol :foilhead:
Powertrain OEM
2004 FLTRI :machinegun:
1992 Trek 830 :P

scottolds
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by scottolds » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:49 pm

I decided to stick with a 3 wheel theme, though there is no shortage of 2 wheel bicycles in my garage.

2009 KLR650
1987 Honda VF700C Super Magna
2011 Ural Gear-UP - отвлекающий маневр
1994 Kawasaki Voyager XII
http://www.rokkitrider.com

cheeseheadmike
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by cheeseheadmike » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:07 pm

Nice tadpole. An friend who is legally blind recently got one so he would not have to give up riding.
cheeseheadmike

2007 Ural Gear Up

phughes
Party Member
Party Member

Post by phughes » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:13 pm

Here is my Surly Long Haul Trucker on my trip across Indiana and Ohio last year. I had my wife drop me off at Indiana Dines National Park, and I headed back to Pittsburgh, with no plan. I ended up stopping in North Canton, Ohio for a couple of days to wait out some bad weather, rain, hail, high winds, and 60F temps, and stayed with a friend. My wife decided she wanted me home, so she drove out and picked me up there. I was only a couple days form home on the bike so I was okay with it. I ended up getting called to go to a ship for work the next day, so it worked out great. Great trip.

Here is it loaded up on my commute in Branson, MO when I was working out there.

And my 1984 Ross Mt. Rainier. I bought it new in 1984, and it is slightly older than my wife. :lol: I still ride the Ross. I changed the bars, but still have the stock bull moose bars, which are still in great condition, so I can put it back to stock if I want.

Desantnik-VDV
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Desantnik-VDV » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:55 pm

Historic pictures:
Back the old days in former USSR our trainers use to be the ones riding sidecar outfits.
In case of flat he would swap the tubeless tire and pump it with Ural pump. And to rich the group which was already gone far... we would pedal the bike for a short while and then trainers left hand would be behind our back. With his right hand he would give some throttle about 50 mph to rich runaway bikers. :D :D

Or we would get in the tub or behind the trainer (Ural or Dnepr rider) hold the bike sometimes just laying on sidecar if there was no rack... :lol:
Alex

cheeseheadmike
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by cheeseheadmike » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:01 am

Desantnik-VDV wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:55 pm
Historic pictures:
Back the old days in former USSR our trainers use to be the ones riding sidecar outfits.
In case of flat he would swap the tubeless tire and pump it with Ural pump. And to rich the group which was already gone far... we would pedal the bike for a short while and then trainers left hand would be behind our back. With his right hand he would give some throttle about 50 mph to rich runaway bikers. :D :D

Or we would get in the tub or behind the trainer (Ural or Dnepr rider) hold the bike sometimes just laying on sidecar if there was no rack... :lol:
Very cool.
cheeseheadmike

2007 Ural Gear Up

phughes
Party Member
Party Member

Post by phughes » Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:32 pm

Desantnik-VDV wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:55 pm
Historic pictures:

That is great. Thanks for sharing. Really interesting old pictures, and story.