Pedal Power - Bikes, lets see them!

Here's a place for the group to discuss their other brands of bikes, hobbies, and personal interests not related to Ural & Dnepr Sidecar rigs. But not politics...
Forum rules
Here's the place to chat about off-topic stuff, hobbies, and other toys you got. No political posts, they will be deleted and the poster warned. We're not always "politically correct", but the Steeds site is apolitical.
cheeseheadmike
Comrade General
Comrade General

Re: Pedal Power - Bikes, lets see them!

Post by cheeseheadmike » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:09 pm

chaos2 wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:53 am
cheeseheadmike wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:20 am

Urals curtailed, or enhanced, my riding, depending how you look at it.

Glad you got better. My Ural drastically cut the mileage I put on the BMW (down to a couple tankfuls of gas a year) and now my newfound obsession with pedal bikes has cut into my Uraling, about 1,000 miles on the Ural this year but about 1500 on the bicycles. I gave up cars long ago, except for emergencies like when it's raining or snowing and I have to pick the kid up from school :lol:
1500 already is dang good. I’m guessing 2012 was the last time I had serious mileage.
cheeseheadmike

1973 Velosolex 3800-slow, 1977 Velosolex 4600-really slow
1979 Honda CX500-not slow at all
Various bicycles from 1947 to 2018-slow to fast, depending on my mood
2007 Ural Gear Up

cheeseheadmike
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by cheeseheadmike » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:54 am

Back when the fixed gear craze hit a decade or so ago(I was a part of it), there was a saying in the community that went, “I’m old, I’m old, I shall wear my pant leg rolled.”
I’m old but I didn’t roll my pant leg high enough.

Good thing I can roll it back down, elsewise the missus would be pi$$ed.
cheeseheadmike

2007 Ural Gear Up

RC20
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by RC20 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:56 pm

I am still struggling with having quit work that was my biking. Winter interferes and it was a cold one and lots of 1 inch snow falls so could not get into any swing of store and library (back when library was open!)

We got dried out and need to put the summer tires on, week of rain forecast, ungh. Usually is pretty nice this time of the year. It goes with how the rest is going. Drats. Can still swap the tires, good inside rainy day project and have space again ow the water heater is replaced (had to move my re-loading bench to access and need to get a rolling tool chest.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

robp
Comrade
Comrade

Post by robp » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:11 pm

Spray some BRAKLEEN (brake parts cleaner) on the grease stain - it's basically dry cleaning fluid in a can and will remove just about anything from fabric. My niece dropped a lipstick down the front of her new, white prom dress and my brother-in-law used BRAKLEEN to remove the stain without a trace.

I've used it on car upholstery where idiot dealership mechanics left greasy handprint smudges.

a1930ford
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by a1930ford » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:56 pm

i am currently assembling my Adult trike and will be putting either a 2-cycle or 4 cycle engine on it. I also have two other bikes that will have engines put onto them, as well. My Nel Lusso was originally to have a friction-drive engine, but I am rethinking that project. My Dynacraft is maybe too small for such engines, but my Roadmaster seems to handle it okay. The Roadmaster has some parts on order, as the throttle cable assembly was broken when I got it. The virus crap has slowed down parts deliveries pretty significantly on a lot of the conversion kits and parts. All of this motorized bike stuff is new to me, but fun projects to get out into the garage and piddle with while on this quarantine situation. I just got the Royal London adult trike in yesterday and it had enough bubble wrap around all the parts to float a boat with.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"There is a reason Dogs do not live as long as we do. They are our resume in Heaven."
"Cheapest, most efficient and longest distance wifi in the world is prayer."

2005 Troyka "The Dog Taxi" - Wichita Falls, TX.

a1930ford
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by a1930ford » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:31 pm

One of the very first mods I am making to the motorized bikes is to sort of personalize them a bit with a pocket watch attached to the gas cap. I got this idea from someone at a motorized bike site and decided I'd give it a go. They are only about $8 bucks at WalMart, so not a big investment. They have different types, but this was the one my wife wanted me to try out, first. I roughed up the surfaces on both the back of the watch and the top of the gas cap. I then used JB Weld to secure it into place. Not sure how long it will hold up, but cheap to replace the gas cap if it all fails. My last pocket watch like this lasted me for well over a year before the battery need replacement. The watch is almost cheaper than a new battery. It kept perfect time, too. Even if the watch stopped functioning, it still looks cool in a mod like this, so I would leave it in place. It has a long chain, but I am not so sure I want to add that or not, as i don't want any rattling from it dangling. :-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"There is a reason Dogs do not live as long as we do. They are our resume in Heaven."
"Cheapest, most efficient and longest distance wifi in the world is prayer."

2005 Troyka "The Dog Taxi" - Wichita Falls, TX.

chaos2
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by chaos2 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:54 pm

1300 miles on my Canyon since I unpacked it 74 days ago. Interestingly, it cost almost exactly 1/2 of what I paid for my BMW K75s 33 1/2 year ago.
Past afflictions include limey motocars and bikes, R60/2, R65ls, & a Citroen.
Now a DB Haanjo and Canyon CF SL Endurace, '87 K75s,
and a rusty 2012 GU bought new
dual K&N cones on homemade intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles, Modtop exhaust, E starter delete
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

cheeseheadmike
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by cheeseheadmike » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:40 am

robp wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:11 pm
Spray some BRAKLEEN (brake parts cleaner) on the grease stain - it's basically dry cleaning fluid in a can and will remove just about anything from fabric. My niece dropped a lipstick down the front of her new, white prom dress and my brother-in-law used BRAKLEEN to remove the stain without a trace.

I've used it on car upholstery where idiot dealership mechanics left greasy handprint smudges.
I will need to remember that.
cheeseheadmike

2007 Ural Gear Up

cheeseheadmike
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by cheeseheadmike » Sat May 02, 2020 9:28 pm

Got the bikes to the new place and started doing tune ups as most have been neglected for several years. Just posting pics of the bike I have had the longest and the one that cost real money.
I got this one fifty years ago this month. It’s a Robin Hood, which is a low buck Raleigh. It saw a lot of use as a long distance rig in the eighties. Going to need new tires.

American Family Insurance paid $4000 for this one in ‘07 after one of their insured hit me from behind. It’s a Rivendell Bleriot and the first bike I was actually fitted for. Original plan for this was another attempt at Paris-Brest-Paris but it took me almost ten years to fully recover from the wreck. By then, I was 61 and had lost interest. Still, this is a very sweet ride. As all the bearings in this are sealed all that was needed was air in the tires and a few drops of 20W in the rear hub.
cheeseheadmike

2007 Ural Gear Up

cheeseheadmike
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by cheeseheadmike » Mon May 18, 2020 9:01 am

Got out for 20 miles on the Raleigh Superbe Saturday morning. It was a nice day for a bicycle ride and explore this area I moved to.

You do see a lot more on a bicycle. I’ve driven and motorcycled up and down this road many times and never noticed this Howitzer in the Kaneville cemetery.

The south western part of Kane county in Illannoy is pancake flat. What we lack in hills is made up for in wind. A plus, because one can see for miles, is seeing summer squalls at a distance and riding around them.

Flat tires always result in “Aw, crap”. Then you find a spot to pull off and fix it. Kinda like with a Ural.

Did a bit off road, too. Once to avoid bridge construction over the UPRR double main and also to check out the MUP in the local forest preserve.

Although, only 20 miles, my quads burned like no tomorrow. First real ride in almost a year’ll do that to ya. Still, a nice little jaunt.
cheeseheadmike

2007 Ural Gear Up

robp
Comrade
Comrade

Post by robp » Mon May 18, 2020 10:16 am

Cheesehead -

Nice pictures from my old stomping grounds (Kaneville, Elburn, Big Rock, Shabbona, Oregon - were all waypoints on my BMW weekend riding circuits). Used to live in Wheaton, now reside in TX. Have you been to Ream's Meat Market in Elburn yet? Amazing variety of jerky, sausage and types of meat.

cheeseheadmike
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by cheeseheadmike » Mon May 18, 2020 10:27 am

I’ve been to Ream’s in the past but not since we’ve moved to Elburn. My son in law swears by the place, though. We tend to favor Hedon & Sons in Creston, just east of I-39 and 38. Mostly for their Packer Brats and Packer Burgers, laced with cheddar cheese and smokin’ jalapenos. But it’s also a nice ride on the Ural with a cooler on the rack.
cheeseheadmike

2007 Ural Gear Up

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by gobium » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:29 am

Resized_20200708_201250.jpeg
2wd

chaos2
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by chaos2 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:37 am

gobium wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:29 am
Resized_20200708_201250.jpeg
2wd
I want to see a video of you riding that thing! :lurker: :D
Past afflictions include limey motocars and bikes, R60/2, R65ls, & a Citroen.
Now a DB Haanjo and Canyon CF SL Endurace, '87 K75s,
and a rusty 2012 GU bought new
dual K&N cones on homemade intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles, Modtop exhaust, E starter delete
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

Happytrails

Post by Happytrails » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:56 pm

Just lookin at it confuses me :o
-JR