Does anyone remember...

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
Kliff
Party Member
Party Member
Posts: 167
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:13 pm
Location: Martinez, GA

Does anyone remember...

Post by Kliff » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:21 pm

About 15 years back, a small group of URALists left the Irbit factory and travelled through Northern Russia, possibly Siberia, taking pics all along the way, with a really good narrative?

Does anyone still have a link to that adventure, if it still exists?
'20 Gear Up
'15 Gear Up
Pleasant memories:
'05 Gear Up
'04 Tourist
'12 Spyder
VW Trike (2)
2002 Suzuki DR600 w/ home made hack
4...KLR 650's
And about 30 additional, Harleys, Honda's, Kawasakis, Triumps, Nortons and Suzukis, spanning 53 years of riding...
Retired H-D Parts Manager
Martinez, GA

User avatar
Kilometers2
Comrade General
Comrade General
Posts: 684
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:14 pm
Location: Huntsville, Al

Re: Does anyone remember...

Post by Kilometers2 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:57 am

I cant remember the time frame but was that the group of mostly younger people riding 650 Urals and patching them up as they went? I remember this group, and another gentleman from New York who published on the ADV site using the subject line "Poor Man Uraling Across the U.S." to celebrate his 50th birthday. These made me realize that my worries of doing multi state 15 hour day trips were largely groundless (with the right preparation)
Miles aka Kilometers

Uralless for 3 years and regretting it the last 2 years I have owned a Doberman. Thinking of coming back rather than hacking the Harley...there is just something about Urals, this forum, and the 2WD I used infrequently while camping.....

Formerly owned 2007 GU, 2014 Patrol, and 2016 GU

User avatar
Lokiboy
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020
Posts: 4433
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:58 pm

Re: Does anyone remember...

Post by Lokiboy » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:59 am

Kliff wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:21 pm
About 15 years back, a small group of URALists left the Irbit factory and travelled through Northern Russia, possibly Siberia, taking pics all along the way, with a really good narrative?

Does anyone still have a link to that adventure, if it still exists?
Have you done a search in Ride Reports? It goes back quite along time.
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
110,000 km and counting

Kliff
Party Member
Party Member
Posts: 167
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:13 pm
Location: Martinez, GA

Re: Does anyone remember...

Post by Kliff » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:23 am

Yes...but having trouble coming up with a good search word.
'20 Gear Up
'15 Gear Up
Pleasant memories:
'05 Gear Up
'04 Tourist
'12 Spyder
VW Trike (2)
2002 Suzuki DR600 w/ home made hack
4...KLR 650's
And about 30 additional, Harleys, Honda's, Kawasakis, Triumps, Nortons and Suzukis, spanning 53 years of riding...
Retired H-D Parts Manager
Martinez, GA

User avatar
Lokiboy
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020
Posts: 4433
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:58 pm

Re: Does anyone remember...

Post by Lokiboy » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:00 am

Too bad that Kristof, who posted several excellent ride reports from Russia, has had all his posts deleted.
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
110,000 km and counting

Kliff
Party Member
Party Member
Posts: 167
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:13 pm
Location: Martinez, GA

Re: Does anyone remember...

Post by Kliff » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:32 pm

Kilometers2 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:57 am
I cant remember the time frame but was that the group of mostly younger people riding 650 Urals and patching them up as they went? I remember this group, and another gentleman from New York who published on the ADV site using the subject line "Poor Man Uraling Across the U.S." to celebrate his 50th birthday. These made me realize that my worries of doing multi state 15 hour day trips were largely groundless (with the right preparation)
YES...exactly. that's the one!
'20 Gear Up
'15 Gear Up
Pleasant memories:
'05 Gear Up
'04 Tourist
'12 Spyder
VW Trike (2)
2002 Suzuki DR600 w/ home made hack
4...KLR 650's
And about 30 additional, Harleys, Honda's, Kawasakis, Triumps, Nortons and Suzukis, spanning 53 years of riding...
Retired H-D Parts Manager
Martinez, GA

Kliff
Party Member
Party Member
Posts: 167
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:13 pm
Location: Martinez, GA

Re: Does anyone remember...

Post by Kliff » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:34 pm

Lokiboy wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:00 am
Too bad that Kristof, who posted several excellent ride reports from Russia, has had all his posts deleted.
Bummer...
'20 Gear Up
'15 Gear Up
Pleasant memories:
'05 Gear Up
'04 Tourist
'12 Spyder
VW Trike (2)
2002 Suzuki DR600 w/ home made hack
4...KLR 650's
And about 30 additional, Harleys, Honda's, Kawasakis, Triumps, Nortons and Suzukis, spanning 53 years of riding...
Retired H-D Parts Manager
Martinez, GA

WEGUNTER
Commissar
Commissar
Posts: 2999
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:12 am

Re: Does anyone remember...

Post by WEGUNTER » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:19 pm

They stopped by to visit Van (aka Gobium) in Annapolis MD and to get some repairs done. He posted a bunch of pictures of the visit. He may have a link. Kristof was not involved in this adventure.

rougaroo
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020
Posts: 3978
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:58 am
Location: NC

Re: Does anyone remember...

Post by rougaroo » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:34 pm

Maybe you're thinking of a group of young German artists who took off from Berlin and went around the world on old 650's. And with no Ural experience! They stopped off at IMZ HQ in Redmond, then crossed the country and stopped at Van's, finally cruising into NYC. They called their project "Leavinghomefunktion"

Here's a mention of them from IMZ: https://www.imz-ural.com/blog/2017/01/1 ... rld-to-nyc

Here's their website: https://www.leavinghomefunktion.com/en/home/ apparently they're making a film of their journey.

They wrote a big coffee-table book about it on their return, called On the Landway to New York. There was a copy in Redmond when Van and I were out there. I've tried repeatedly to order a copy from their website but have never gotten a reply. https://www.leavinghomefunktion.com/en/home/.

All that wasn't 15 years ago, though. You may also be remembering BigJames' trip on old Urals into northern Russia north of St. Petersburg and/or the summer trips to Irbit that used to be sponsored by the European Ural distributorship in Austria.

Rougaroo
2003 Tourist - lotsa upgrades
2004 Troyka - work in progress

User avatar
ReCycled
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin
Posts: 2498
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:10 am
Location: Broomall, PA

Re: Does anyone remember...

Post by ReCycled » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:07 pm

I saw the group of artists a couple of years ago when they came through after visiting with Van. It was an interesting presentation.

Two of our local riders, NJ Ken and Uraldude(JD) along with Sid Pollart joined a couple NW guys and the IMWA folks and went to Irbit+ back in '02(?). I've certainly heard some good stories around the campfire, but I don't recall a good formal write up... There may even have been some things they wouldn't have wanted on a permanent record :)
David B.
'07 Ural Twourist

Kliff
Party Member
Party Member
Posts: 167
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:13 pm
Location: Martinez, GA

Re: Does anyone remember...

Post by Kliff » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:09 am

rougaroo wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:34 pm
Maybe you're thinking of a group of young German artists who took off from Berlin and went around the world on old 650's. And with no Ural experience! They stopped off at IMZ HQ in Redmond, then crossed the country and stopped at Van's, finally cruising into NYC. They called their project "Leavinghomefunktion"

Here's a mention of them from IMZ: https://www.imz-ural.com/blog/2017/01/1 ... rld-to-nyc

Here's their website: https://www.leavinghomefunktion.com/en/home/ apparently they're making a film of their journey.

They wrote a big coffee-table book about it on their return, called On the Landway to New York. There was a copy in Redmond when Van and I were out there. I've tried repeatedly to order a copy from their website but have never gotten a reply. https://www.leavinghomefunktion.com/en/home/.

All that wasn't 15 years ago, though. You may also be remembering BigJames' trip on old Urals into northern Russia north of St. Petersburg and/or the summer trips to Irbit that used to be sponsored by the European Ural distributorship in Austria.

Rougaroo
That wasn't the expedition I was thinking about, but from what I could view on their site, it sure gave me that old wanderlust!
A feeling for that last big adventure...even if done here in the USA still haunts me...
Like finding a way to cross the States on as many dirt roads and cow paths as possible...could it be done?
How would I resupply with oxygen while crossing?
How could I keep a steady supply of meds coming?
Who, with another URAL, would want to drop everything, and join in for a year, maybe longer?

Questions that will never be answered, because I know it would be impossible for me to garner the support I'd need to make such a journey...

A wasted life.
'20 Gear Up
'15 Gear Up
Pleasant memories:
'05 Gear Up
'04 Tourist
'12 Spyder
VW Trike (2)
2002 Suzuki DR600 w/ home made hack
4...KLR 650's
And about 30 additional, Harleys, Honda's, Kawasakis, Triumps, Nortons and Suzukis, spanning 53 years of riding...
Retired H-D Parts Manager
Martinez, GA

User avatar
Lokiboy
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020
Posts: 4433
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:58 pm

Re: Does anyone remember...

Post by Lokiboy » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:15 am

Kliff... you can take the Trans American Trail if you want dirt roads and an adventure
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
110,000 km and counting

Kliff
Party Member
Party Member
Posts: 167
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:13 pm
Location: Martinez, GA

Re: Does anyone remember...

Post by Kliff » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:00 pm

Many thanks, joined their group, ordered maps and charts!
'20 Gear Up
'15 Gear Up
Pleasant memories:
'05 Gear Up
'04 Tourist
'12 Spyder
VW Trike (2)
2002 Suzuki DR600 w/ home made hack
4...KLR 650's
And about 30 additional, Harleys, Honda's, Kawasakis, Triumps, Nortons and Suzukis, spanning 53 years of riding...
Retired H-D Parts Manager
Martinez, GA

User avatar
Lofty
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020
Posts: 1686
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:17 pm
Location: Pennsylvania, USA

Re: Does anyone remember...

Post by Lofty » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:47 pm

Kliff wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:09 am
A feeling for that last big adventure...even if done here in the USA still haunts me...

Like finding a way to cross the States on as many dirt roads and cow paths as possible...could it be done?
It's already being done, in the relevant portions of the U.S. I've done a segment of it myself. They're called Backcountry Discovery Routes. They are abbreviated by region; e.g., "MABDR" is the Mid-Atlantic Backcountry Discovery Route. And so on.

The related BDR maps do cost a few dollars, but they're printed on proper stock and are chock full of relevant information. The publisher has been careful to advise that the maps are to be used in conjunction with GPS navigation, whether via a discrete device (like the Garmin Zumo that I use) or through a smart phone. This, I wager, would be the default position of most riders, anyway.

https://ridebdr.com/
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

User avatar
GoatTracks
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel
Posts: 269
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:13 pm
Location: Iowa
Contact:

Re: Does anyone remember...

Post by GoatTracks » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:22 pm

I use the 'dead reckoning" system of navigation....my destination is about 50 miles that way... so I'll just head that direction til I think I'm close, then figure it out from there. I hate GPS, it feels like cheating. Also hate stopping to have to squint at a tiny screen and turn-by-turn is lame and annoying to me. I do keep a paper map in the trunk and have a magnetic compass hanging from the windshield just in case I get hopelessly muddled.
"Dog is my Co-Pilot"

Central Iowa, USA
'07 "FrankenUral" Gear Up
'99 HD Bad Boy Custom
'84 Yamaha 175 Enduro
Mattel "Big Wheel"

Post Reply