WTB 2 into 1 headers/exhaust system for late 750 carb motor

Got some Russian bikes or parts you want to buy or sell? Advertise your wares here. Individuals only - No dealers in this section please.
Forum rules
This section is for individual forum members to buy, sell, or swap bikes, parts or accessories. Once the item has sold, please edit your post and put "SOLD" in the topic subject title. Dealers and other commercial entities need to post in "The Gray Market" section. All listings must be motorcycle related, preferrably for Urals or Dneprs. No guns, real estate, etc. All items must have an asking price or what you are willing to trade for. No auctions or bids here. If you want to auction an item, put it on eBay and post a link to your item's auction on eBay here.
Waffl6
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

WTB 2 into 1 headers/exhaust system for late 750 carb motor

Post by Waffl6 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:58 pm

Hello everyone,

Too long don't read: I am looking for a 2 into 1 header or full exhaust system. High or low mount. Must fit a 2011 carb model bike.

With recent off-road excursions, my rig has now come down with a dented left muffler. I figure this is as good a reason as any to get rid of the stockers and put a system on for better sound, and off-road clearance.

I know that the Raceway header system exists but with seeing long term reviews of it, I am not enthusiastic about buying it. If I must, I will, but I really don't want to have to sit down, prep it, and coat it.

Does anyone here have a system that they wouldn't mind parting with? Or, does anyone here have the ability/want to make a setup for me?
Probably the youngest guy in the room.

Current bikes: 1987 Rebel 250, 1990 Ninja 500, 2009 Honda Shadow 750, 2006 CBR600F4I, 2011 Ural Patrol T - A real POS

Past bikes: 1994 Katana 600

Fairfax Virginia

Jack'D

Re: WTB 2 into 1 headers/exhaust system for late 750 carb motor

Post by Jack'D » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:30 pm

:lurker:
2012 Black Truck Bed Liner Spray Can Gear Up 8)

siberman1

Post by siberman1 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:34 pm

FWIW-
You could buy just the front 2>1 header pipe from Raceway and then make the rest of it yourself. You have to decide which side you want the muffler to be on.

In some areas, Harley stores have piles of brand-new mufflers, pipes, heatshield, clamps, etc in a junk pile. In my area, they are free if you ask for some set(s). The only catch is you have to take ALL THE PIECES as they don't disassemble anything. They just unbolt from cylinders and throw these sets away to get "LOUD CRAPPY PIPES. These are all good OEM mufflers, and all the added pieces help the budget. Personally, I have black muffler on my GU, and a nice squarecut chrome muffler on my woodsplitter (called a "Pro-Stock" woodsplitter by some). I also used black HD clamps for a rope tube for Maasdam Puller.

A knowlegable muffler shop that actually has someone who knows how to bend pipe could make the pipe from the front header (right side preferred JMO) for a reasonable cost. I had pieces of stainless pipe and had them bend the "S" curves and make expansion part connectors, and there was no charge at all for a few pieces. I welded all the other straight stainless pieces together. A shop would make 1 piece to bend, curve, whatever to get to the back muffler. I only have an old AC stick welder, but it did the job just fine. You can find these older stick welders in yard sales (if lucky!) in the $50 range, and is a handy thing to have around for metal repairs.

Currently I have 5 or 6 brand-new HD mufflers in a box, and use various heat shields and clamps in both of my installations. I even gave away 2 sets of HD mufflers to a fellow from Denmark. He repacked his suitcase to get them back to Denmark. Unfortunately, mufflers are a little heavy and I think shipping would be $$$.

Contact someone like Tomcatfixer or others in your area who fiddle with nuts & bolts. It isn't rocket science, ya know.

If you have a will, there is a way somehow to get your 2>1 system. It just takes effort.

YMMV
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sent from my laptop using OEM fingers, ordinary Mouse, and LCD-screen
2014 полынь зеленый гU
Сибирь Экспресс #2

Zero payments

Waffl6

Post by Waffl6 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:24 pm

siberman1 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:34 pm
FWIW-
You could buy just the front 2>1 header pipe from Raceway and then make the rest of it yourself. You have to decide which side you want the muffler to be on.

In some areas, Harley stores have piles of brand-new mufflers, pipes, heatshield, clamps, etc in a junk pile. In my area, they are free if you ask for some set(s). The only catch is you have to take ALL THE PIECES as they don't disassemble anything. They just unbolt from cylinders and throw these sets away to get "LOUD CRAPPY PIPES. These are all good OEM mufflers, and all the added pieces help the budget. Personally, I have black muffler on my GU, and a nice squarecut chrome muffler on my woodsplitter (called a "Pro-Stock" woodsplitter by some). I also used black HD clamps for a rope tube for Maasdam Puller.

A knowlegable muffler shop that actually has someone who knows how to bend pipe could make the pipe from the front header (right side preferred JMO) for a reasonable cost. I had pieces of stainless pipe and had them bend the "S" curves and make expansion part connectors, and there was no charge at all for a few pieces. I welded all the other straight stainless pieces together. A shop would make 1 piece to bend, curve, whatever to get to the back muffler. I only have an old AC stick welder, but it did the job just fine. You can find these older stick welders in yard sales (if lucky!) in the $50 range, and is a handy thing to have around for metal repairs.

Currently I have 5 or 6 brand-new HD mufflers in a box, and use various heat shields and clamps in both of my installations. I even gave away 2 sets of HD mufflers to a fellow from Denmark. He repacked his suitcase to get them back to Denmark. Unfortunately, mufflers are a little heavy and I think shipping would be $$$.

Contact someone like Tomcatfixer or others in your area who fiddle with nuts & bolts. It isn't rocket science, ya know.

If you have a will, there is a way somehow to get your 2>1 system. It just takes effort.

YMMV

Unfortunately I don't have the space/ability/time to custom fabricate it myself. I am working out of a storage unit at the moment that has no power hookups, so welders are definitely out of the question.

I already know what muffler I'm using more or less, I'm putting an Akrapovič slip-on from a sportsbike onto it. This could be the first time an akra has been on a Ural. (I just did a search and it looks like this is the first time it has even been said on this website...)

Tomcatfixer doesn't know how to weld, so he is out of the equation as far as I know. Nobody else in the immediate area that will have the knowledge/skill to build one, and to be honest I don't want to burden Bindersmokedat with yet another one of my big plans...perhaps Jaybird is around.

Really I was just hoping someone would offer to sell me a set of custom headers or an already built full system because I have heard that the Raceway headers like to rust out and I really don't want to do the prep work to stop that immediately after spending $400 on them.

Also, is it an okay idea for you to have that high mounted exhaust near the fuel can...? Have you ever worried about that?
Probably the youngest guy in the room.

Current bikes: 1987 Rebel 250, 1990 Ninja 500, 2009 Honda Shadow 750, 2006 CBR600F4I, 2011 Ural Patrol T - A real POS

Past bikes: 1994 Katana 600

Fairfax Virginia

makarov

Post by makarov » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:18 pm

Seeing how you are riding it off-road I'm guessing you aren't a waxer and polisher type. Have you considered just leaving the stock muffler to get hammered in to the point of no return?

I rode my 2004 Gear Up off road a lot. That was half the fun! Those low pontoon mufflers were/are silly. I thought a lot about getting a 2-1 high pipe or custom building a new system. Once the left muffler gets dented in and the muffler clamp is "re-adjusted" by terra ferma it leaves the muffler higher up and also closer to the swingarm. I never did do a custom exhaust and just laughed about the crushed muffler. It's on the bottom and can't be seen anyway. Mine was so crushed on the bottom but I can't seem to find a photo of it (I know I took one). I've seen other Ural rider's have the left muffler pulled off by a rock on the trail but I had "adjusted" mine so many times I guess it was clamped on real tight because it never happened to me.

Anyway, just a thought. Leave the pontoon, let it assume a new shape, and save some money and effort.
2016 Ural Gear Up 2WD
Ural owner since 2009

eastbloc

Post by eastbloc » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:28 am

I see getting rid of the left pontoon as an essential modification. Besides catching on stuff off-road, It's useless, heavy, gets in the way of pusher tire changes, and makes the rear of the bike buoyant in deep snow.

I can't in good faith recommend the Raceway headers since the finish is so crappy. I had mine coated with Jet Hot which seems to be holding up much better so far but it almost doubled the price.

If I was to do it over again, I would go with having the stock headers modified -- they're stainless and will last forever, and the cost should be less than just the Raceway headers alone.
'14 Gear Up
'02 Patrol
'00 Bavarian Classic

siberman1

Post by siberman1 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:14 pm

Waffl6 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:24 pm
...snip....

Really I was just hoping someone would offer to sell me a set of custom headers or an already built full system because I have heard that the Raceway headers like to rust out and I really don't want to do the prep work to stop that immediately after spending $400 on them.

Also, is it an okay idea for you to have that high mounted exhaust near the fuel can...? Have you ever worried about that?
I have had no issue where the HD muffler is located. I can feel the can and hold it no problem.

I can say that if I had to "pay someone" for what I have built, it would be expensive. My entire idea was to make something better than the stock muffler setup for as low a cost as I could manage. Think mufflers flying off in Moab. Luckily I have "some space" to do these projects. I have a garage with 110v/220v outlets, lights, propane-tanktop heater, some tools, my AC buzz-box welder, and a few odds and end. The car has to go outside for project space.

Besides all of that, so what about coating on Raceway stuff? Use it, let it wear, then fix it. That is what we do with a Ural anyway. Gobium has done some amazing things with next to zero fancy equipement. You will have to try different ways to solve your needs or wants. Just think out of the box for ways that make sense for what you have and can do, or expand your skills as well. JMO

(not my photos...)
YMMV
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2014 полынь зеленый гU
Сибирь Экспресс #2

Zero payments

Cecilsan
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Cecilsan » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:42 am

siberman1 wrote:
FWIW-

YMMV

Did you paint your Harley muffler or is it black from OEM? I tried painting mine but that VHT paint is either crap or the fact that the mufflers are chrome keeps it from adhering well.

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tomcatfixer » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:26 am

Did you paint your Harley muffler or is it black from OEM? I tried painting mine but that VHT paint is either crap or the fact that the mufflers are chrome keeps it from adhering well.
VHT paint is quite good. Very few paints will reliably stick to chrome, especially hot chrome. You'll need to acid etch or sandblast that chrome off of your mufflers to get a good bond between the paint and the metal.
- Chad

Gordonsville, Virginia, USA

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 2001 Ural Patrol "Little Red Bear", 1999 Ural Tourist "The RPOC", 1994 Honda VFR750F

Previous rides:
2007 Honda VTR1000 FireStorm (Super Hawk in U.S.)
2001 Buell Blast! - - - - - - - 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
1993 Honda CBR600F2 - -1984 Yamaha FJ1100
Two different 1986 Yamaha FZX700S Fazers

mod_rocker
Comrade
Comrade

Post by mod_rocker » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:39 pm

Waffl6 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:58 pm
Or, does anyone here have the ability/want to make a setup for me?
Since you are in Fairfax, I recommend that you check out Urban East in Newington. Brian and his crew do all kinds of work (he removed a broken stud from my FD about 6 weeks ago - In my attempt, I left part of the extractor in the stud and he was able to fix it cleanly!)
Kevin
Washington, D.C.
@sidecar2school
'12 Yamal "Plaustrum"
'73 Triumph Tiger
'68 BSA Starfire "resting in pieces"

54vintage

Post by 54vintage » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:22 pm

see if this is something that interests you.....all stainless and uses the original header tubes from factory

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=49959&p=630383&hil ... rs#p630383

scroll down in the link to see how I put the system together

Chuck
Chuck Loftin
2002 1150 GSA with 2005 Ural tub
2014 Sage Green GU....off to a new home

1974 R90S----gone
2009 G650GS---outtahere

siberman1

Post by siberman1 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:30 pm

Cecilsan wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:42 am
siberman1 wrote:
FWIW-
....snip.....

YMMV

The HD mufflers are finished in a semi-gloss black. It is an Extremely nice finish and nothing seems to affect it. I have had it on my GU for 2 years I think. In rain, snow, hot Moab weather, muddy crap and so on, nothing changes the finish.

Whatever some may say about HD folk, the HD finish is on bikes is supurb. Something else may suck, but paint is usually flawless, and any muffler parts are equally flawless. Their chrome finish is just outstanding, but probably too quiet(ing), which is why I have a few sets... Just my observations...

YMMV
2014 полынь зеленый гU
Сибирь Экспресс #2

Zero payments

rivers

Post by rivers » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:49 pm

Waffl6, I think you're worrying too much about the Raceway header.
A: the Raceway header works/fits well. B: finding a used one someone is willing to give up won't be easy or quick. C: granted the finish coating isn't last forever bulletproof but adequate for years. Granted I'm just in rain country so don't live in the rust belt/road salt part of the world but I've run the Raceway 2 into 1high right on 3 urals, 06, 011 and 014 and they held up just fine on and off pavement. Will you scratch up the finish? Prolly but by the time you might need to refinish the header you'll likely have moved out of your storage shed to where you have electricity and room to work comfortably. To pay shop time to have a shop custom build you a direct no tweaks needed bolt on header you'd be money ahead just buying a new Raceway header and bolting up whatever exhaust pipe, can, brackets you like/need. If it were me and I were to lose the lame 2 into 2 stock Ural pontoons on another Ural I would just spring for the header and and exhaust pipe, NOT the entire exhaust system(too expensive) and hang/adapt the can of your choice. For looks, size and sound I like the used OEM HD Sportster cans. If you're just going for loud including a very nagging drone ad hwy speeds go with a Dunstal knockoff or even an el cheapo tractor muffler. Dealing. with winter road salt sucks for sure but that's a local issue not a Raceway issue.
On a sidenote: whatever header/exh you go with and using a really low restriction can like a Dunstal, tractor, modtop or the Akra plan on rejetting(richening) the carbs. Wear your woolins in the storage shed. ;)
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

Lokiboy

Post by Lokiboy » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:03 pm

+1 what Rivers said.

I’ve got the Raceway 2-1 and yeah the nice black finish is now gray whereas the muffler itself still looks new, however. The pipes look a bit pitted because I didn’t clean it after the JDH so now I have permanent NJ mud. Looking for the show room look, they are easy to remove and repaint. If you’re going to ride and not be overly concerned then Raecway fits the bill perfectly.
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
100,000 km and counting

eastbloc

Post by eastbloc » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:15 pm

Grey? I wish it went grey. My Raceway header finish lasted exactly one winter and after that it peeled off completely, to be replaced with rust.
'14 Gear Up
'02 Patrol
'00 Bavarian Classic