Will be out of the URAL community for a while

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
shiftless
Comrade General
Comrade General

Will be out of the URAL community for a while

Post by shiftless » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:49 am

Word came 2 weeks ago, involuntary job transfer to midtown Atlanta. Big changes in all life plans all at once. Have already turned in plates on Ural and my convertible, which will go into storage for a few years (gas drained). Another sedan will be sold off "soon", with my pickup hanging around as long as required to participate in the move, then it has to go. In a couple months I will have gone from a full parking lot with garage at my house to a single sedan in a parking garage below an apartment. Too young to retire, too old for this %$^#!

No place to tinker, keep a spare can of oil, and likely prohibited in the lease from turning a wrench. Major lifestyle change for a few years, hard to say how many. Someone is bound to say "That's not a bad place." Perhaps it isn't. I do know it's not "my" place, and it's not in "my" plans. By the time my convertible emerges from storage it will have gone classic, and the Ural may well be obsolete.

My state is doing it's best to make it irresponsible for business to stay, and my employer has kindly offered to let us all move to a cheaper area and enjoy the suitably reduced pay. Changing from paid off house with no neighbor issues to expensive apartment with people only a wall or ceiling away. For decades if I thought it needed fixing or replacement I could do it and I had only myself to blame if it was done slow or half ash. Now I will get to call (or email) and wait for someone to figure out that dripping sink I reported last month is somehow related to the peeling ceiling paint report that just came in from another floor

In any case, advice from Soviet Steeds went far to keep my Ural rolling, and likely will be sought again when it is time to pull off the dust cover.

Thanks again for the support in past years, and for the advice I will surely need years from now.
Still like Charlie Chaplin's 1940 talkie "The Great Dictator"; had to abandon it as the inspiration for the theme of my Ural's paint scheme. People can't seem to tell satire from support. Too much public education.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Dictator

2011 Gear Up from V.T. CYCLES, Pwr Arc Ignition, sprayed USMC 383 Green w/blacked engine/exhaust

hillbillybob
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Re: Will be out of the URAL community for a while

Post by hillbillybob » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:50 am

Wow....That's a crappy hand you've been dealt. Giving up so much to stay with a company, isn't something I could do. Sounds to me like changing employers would be easier....and a lot less stressful.
Current Rides:
2006 Ural Troyka "Boris"
2000 BMW R1200C "Schultz"
1999 BMW R1200C "Dooley"
2011 Chinese 150cc Scooter "Johnny" (16,338 breakdown free miles)

hotflash44
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Post by hotflash44 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:31 am

shiftless wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:49 am
Word came 2 weeks ago, involuntary job transfer to midtown Atlanta. Big changes in all life plans all at once. Have already turned in plates on Ural and my convertible, which will go into storage for a few years (gas drained). Another sedan will be sold off "soon", with my pickup hanging around as long as required to participate in the move, then it has to go. In a couple months I will have gone from a full parking lot with garage at my house to a single sedan in a parking garage below an apartment. Too young to retire, too old for this %$^#!

No place to tinker, keep a spare can of oil, and likely prohibited in the lease from turning a wrench. Major lifestyle change for a few years, hard to say how many. Someone is bound to say "That's not a bad place." Perhaps it isn't. I do know it's not "my" place, and it's not in "my" plans. By the time my convertible emerges from storage it will have gone classic, and the Ural may well be obsolete.

My state is doing it's best to make it irresponsible for business to stay, and my employer has kindly offered to let us all move to a cheaper area and enjoy the suitably reduced pay. Changing from paid off house with no neighbor issues to expensive apartment with people only a wall or ceiling away. For decades if I thought it needed fixing or replacement I could do it and I had only myself to blame if it was done slow or half ash. Now I will get to call (or email) and wait for someone to figure out that dripping sink I reported last month is somehow related to the peeling ceiling paint report that just came in from another floor

In any case, advice from Soviet Steeds went far to keep my Ural rolling, and likely will be sought again when it is time to pull off the dust cover.

Thanks again for the support in past years, and for the advice I will surely need years from now.
had a friend once that lost his motorcycle spot, he got a small ground floor storage unit worked pretty good as a temporary hanger. just a thought hope all works out! :( :cheers:
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:29 am

"...and the Ural may well be obsolete".

HaHa, that was the case way before you bought it.

Hang in there. Moving & staying with a company with such a drastic lifestyle change sounds like something you feel is important. So the very, very best of luck to you in your new digs and location.

And, you don't necessarily have to be riding a Ural to hang-out here either.
Stagewex

Current Herd all running amok:
2019 Honda CRF450L (Elec Start)
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
2006 Honda "Big Ruckus" PS250 (Elec Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)

cheeseheadmike

Post by cheeseheadmike » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:09 am

Oh boy. I feel for ya. My company moved from IL to SC two years ago. I could do a hundred page essay on how well that’s worked out. Only bright spot in the whole cluster, as a field service mechanic, is that I didn’t have to follow. I work from home now. Or, I should say, I work from O’hare airport. That’s it’s own set of new headaches for an old guy.

As mentioned before, don’t need a Ural to hang out here.
cheeseheadmike

1973 Velosolex 3800-slow, 1977 Velosolex 4600-really slow
1979 Honda CX500-not slow at all
Various bicycles from 1947 to 2018-slow to fast, depending on my mood
2007 Ural Gear Up

snowymonkey

Post by snowymonkey » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:50 am

Why not rent a storage place as suggested. There is a ton of good riding / convertible driving area not far outside Atlanta.

Either way you decide. Good luck with the move and change.
“ The music moves me, but it moves me ugly” - Nickoli

2008 Ural Patrol - “Toothless”

Lake City Florida

Lokiboy

Post by Lokiboy » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:52 am

Good luck. Lots of nice things about the Atlanta area. Too bad about the living conditions, however.

Don’t forget to fog your cylinders.
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
100,000 km and counting

Marine Corps Codu

Post by Marine Corps Codu » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:51 am

Best luck in this new chapter of your Book of Life. Hopefully you can look back, at some future time, and say it was a great move.
Be safe!
Keith Birkhofer
Marine By Choice
2018 Gear Up
Former Bikes:
1947 Cushman Motor Scooter
1958 Cushman Motor Scooter
1964 Yamaguchi
1965 Honda 250
1968 KZ100
1960 Honda 55 (2 of them)
2002 Honda Gold Wing
2006 Ural Patrol
2005 BMW GS1200
2018 Ural Gear Up

chaos2
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by chaos2 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:04 pm

I've shifted from a house and garage to an apartment several times, not something I'd want to do again. Hope it's not too long term.
Past afflictions include limey motocars and bikes, R60/2, R65ls, & a Citroen.
Now a DB Haanjo and Canyon CF SL Endurace, '87 K75s,
and a rusty 2012 GU bought new
dual K&N cones on homemade intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles, Modtop exhaust, E starter delete
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

shiftless
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by shiftless » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:03 pm

The general area has lots of bicycle and apartment smash and grab theft (kick in the door) and vehicle break ins reported in reviews of places I considered renting. If I had got around to acquiring a MG for my sidecar mount I might have been able to tour the neighborhood with the monkey trained on a modest belt-fed. Then there is the can't work on a vehicle restrictions, so if I rented a space in an apartment parking garage, how long before I needed to tinker? I would have a small apartment, no place for spares. I will have an 8.5x24 car hauler withing weeks, and stuff it full of stuff that isn't going with me, left at a relative's property. A plan is coming together, because I don't have a hell of a lot of choice. Technically I could retire now, and survive on savings until SS age. By then, my savings would be gone, so broke for life. Not a real alternative. General agreement is tech jobs in my state might pay half what I had, so staying means a worse pay cut. If I have to move, this is the way to do it. Rental trailers out of CT to ATL $455, other direction ATL to CT is $155, so the $300 difference is because all the trailers are leaving the state. Think high taxes and heavy regulation chasing away the better jobs, followed by the people who need jobs. I can't live on WallyMart wages. My company has legitimate reason to run, and run screaming. My employer did not shaft me, my tax the state into oblivion "representatives" created a situation no business can accept forever.
Still like Charlie Chaplin's 1940 talkie "The Great Dictator"; had to abandon it as the inspiration for the theme of my Ural's paint scheme. People can't seem to tell satire from support. Too much public education.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Dictator

2011 Gear Up from V.T. CYCLES, Pwr Arc Ignition, sprayed USMC 383 Green w/blacked engine/exhaust

Harbinger
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Harbinger » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:38 pm

Sorry to hear about out this man. I'm lucky I own a tech company in a part of the industry where I'm pretty protected just because of the nature of what we do. BUT it wouldn't take much to really shake things up. My pillow is the fact the we manage a few law firms and they seem to survive any change in the economy.

All I can do is wish you the best . I've been in a similar situation and was able to survive and I'm sure you can do. Life can suck at times and the best advice is situate yourself and evaluate the situation. Then look for escape routes and options. If you are prepared to move again you can get out of this. 55 isn't that old anymore. It pains me to see what has happened to so many jobs in tech.
Cascade Green 2019 Ural GU.
Downtown Toronto, ON

jaybird
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov
Location: The foothills of the Forked River Mountains, West Barnegat NJ (Do It In The Pines!) 08005

Post by jaybird » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:16 pm

Think high taxes and heavy regulation chasing away the better jobs, followed by the people who need jobs. I can't live on WallyMart wages. My company has legitimate reason to run, and run screaming. My employer did not shaft me, my tax the state into oblivion "representatives" created a situation no business can accept forever.
Sorry for your troubles Shiftless.
We're having similar problems in New Jersey, the cannibals are thick here too.
It's a real problem for me as I'm running three businesses that don't easily move, I own real estate, and I have "very" deep roots here, I'm still trying to figure out what to do about it.
For me, it's disappointing to watch The direction my State, and my Country are moving in.

Good luck in your journey.

Happy trails,
Jaybird
2005 Gear-Up, Mr. Nat_ural 108,000+ Kilometers and counting
2013 Retro, Black beauty, AKA Lucky "13"
1995 Olive Tourist
1975 Enfield Diesel Bullet
2008 Enfield Bullet 500
1974 BMW R 75/6
Etc.

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:00 pm

My parents left Jersey back in the late 90s to escape the property taxes. They're pretty high here in Washington too, but we don't have a state income tax.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018/20 M70

Urtigeral
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Urtigeral » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:16 pm

I made the move from Ca to ATL a couple years ago and live close to where you will be. I did rent some storage for my bikes before I bought my house. Hit me with a PM if you’re interested in where, I do think it would be a good solution for you. You’ll want to ride north of the city anyway and so it’s not a bad idea to keep your bikes a bit northward.