Russian haters ....

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
EASirider
Party Member
Party Member

Re: Russian haters ....

Post by EASirider » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:49 am

BigJames wrote:........Wow, didn't know he pi$$ed them off that much. :D
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Have fun now, while you still can.

sixbennetts
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by sixbennetts » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:11 pm

IKR!? Friends like you, who needs enemas! :lol:
I have a funny wife. Hilarious, really.
I love her, she loves me.

"I'm slow and like to go old."
Plattsburgh NY

shiftless
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by shiftless » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:53 am

rougaroo wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:34 pm
Yeah - they can say all they want until you stick it into reverse and back out of a parking space. Then their jaws drop...

Rougaroo
I have routinely pointed out that "It's the fastest production motorcycle in the world, in reverse!

My favorite UDF was likely the first. Rode to DMV on a temp plate to get a real one. Someone in the parking lot walked over with a girlfriend and asked "What year is it?", so I answered "2011". He said "No, I meant the bike".
Perhaps he thought I had just mistaken him for a time traveler stopping to ask directions?
Still like Charlie Chaplin's 1940 talkie "The Great Dictator"; had to abandon it as the inspiration for the theme of my Ural's paint scheme. People can't seem to tell satire from support. Too much public education.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Dictator

2011 Gear Up from V.T. CYCLES, Pwr Arc Ignition, sprayed USMC 383 Green w/blacked engine/exhaust

Birdy
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Birdy » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:07 pm

I have never had a real rider of any brand give me any hate no matter what I was riding. Every time Someone has ragged on me it's a wannabe without a bike of any kind OR a weekend warrior with their fake leather vest and riding club patch. I took a friend to pick up H-D after a service and a hand full of H-D rides came over and ask questions about my Patrol. The easiest to answer was The "Why didn't you get a H-D" answer "They don't make a sidecar rig anymore". Most didn't even know that H-D had made one ever.
2017 Ural Patrol, Lenin's Revenge
2012 Kawasaki Versys, Mini Me
2008 Royal Enfield...the money pit, undergoing restoration

tgtrotter
Commissar
Commissar

Post by tgtrotter » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:28 pm

Birdy wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:07 pm
......"They don't make a sidecar rig anymore". Most didn't even know that H-D had made one ever.

Sad, but true. You gotta feel something for the less enlightened.
2007 Woodland Green Patrol :foilhead:
2004 FLTRI :machinegun:
1992 Trek 830 :P

Birdy
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Birdy » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:39 pm

The only reason I knew that they did was one of my fishing friend's father had one. He lost his left leg in 'Nam and had a H-D sidecar with the bike converted to RH shift. It was the only one I ever saw.

vito lich12
Comrade
Comrade

Post by vito lich12 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:37 pm

I don't want to put hate on any group, but to a degree I do agree, the HD group is now mostly made up of 45 to 50 year old guys that in there youth could not afford the bike they always wanted. Now in this world of small down payment "how much can you afford a month" they now can ride there dream bike. Let's face it, how many guys today buy a Harley and actually turn wrenches on it? My guess, less than 10%. Now they have abs, fuel injection, cruise control, all run from a CPU. I'm 50 now and just sold my 89 Softail that I purchased new as a punk kid. My friends and my girlfriend at the time thought I was nuts when after owning the bike for 2 weeks I disassembled it, stroked, bored, and cammed it, sold the wheels and forks for customs. This was all before the Orange County choppers show and the other copycat shows that popped up after. Now you go to your local HD dealer purchase your 58% American custom bike and get your first Tattoo at the ripe age of 50 so you can meet your buddy who is a stockbroker at Starbucks for some Frappuccino fu fu coffee drink. Sorry, I think this last part was just a rant.
Vito Lich 2006 troyka

Obo Scribe
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Obo Scribe » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:49 am

vito lich12 wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:37 pm
I don't want to put hate on any group, but to a degree I do agree, the HD group is now mostly made up of 45 to 50 year old guys that in there youth could not afford the bike they always wanted. Now in this world of small down payment "how much can you afford a month" they now can ride there dream bike. Let's face it, how many guys today buy a Harley and actually turn wrenches on it? My guess, less than 10%. Now they have abs, fuel injection, cruise control, all run from a CPU. I'm 50 now and just sold my 89 Softail that I purchased new as a punk kid. My friends and my girlfriend at the time thought I was nuts when after owning the bike for 2 weeks I disassembled it, stroked, bored, and cammed it, sold the wheels and forks for customs. This was all before the Orange County choppers show and the other copycat shows that popped up after. Now you go to your local HD dealer purchase your 58% American custom bike and get your first Tattoo at the ripe age of 50 so you can meet your buddy who is a stockbroker at Starbucks for some Frappuccino fu fu coffee drink. Sorry, I think this last part was just a rant.
It's the same in the UK. I sometimes go to the Preston HD branch on my Ural, or '75 Honda, just to take the pi$$ out of them.
2003 750 Dalesman, 1975 CB400/4, '91 Mille GT, 2012 DL650, 91 Ducati 750SS, 1970 Raleigh Runabout . Thirty bikes in the last seven years, my missus thinks I have a bike problem. :boogie: ..
Chorley, Lancashire, England
'Oboto Sobatmas' - sponsored by Deuchars, fuelled by stupidity. http://obotosobatmas.blogspot.co.uk/

tgtrotter
Commissar
Commissar

Post by tgtrotter » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:22 am

I have yet to meet a Russian hater. Yet I'm more of a riding type of guy and less of a hanging out and posing type. Nothing the matter with gathering, and I do. ure I stop and gawk and talk. But not as a destination. I like riding more.

In defense of those who don't wrench, I know some real riders that don't wrench.

The last two post caught me off guard but I was at the HD dealer a few days ago ( been a while ) and I did a double take as I walked past a waiting room by the Service desk. Looked like a Salon. Yes there were some guys just a waiting on their bikes.

I never pay attention to any hater. Don't give them life with any reply. Two wheels is two wheels.
2007 Woodland Green Patrol :foilhead:
2004 FLTRI :machinegun:
1992 Trek 830 :P

shiftless
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by shiftless » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:41 am

vito lich12 wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:37 pm
This was all before the Orange County choppers show and the other copycat shows that popped up after. Now you go to your local HD dealer purchase your 58% American custom bike and get your first Tattoo at the ripe age of 50 so you can meet your buddy who is a stockbroker at Starbucks for some Frappuccino fu fu coffee drink.
Sorry, can't do that. I have never stepped inside a Starbucks, mostly because I know I would just get blank stares if I ordered "A big mug of coffee." What kind? "You know, regular black coffee." I an just not sure if they know what normal coffee is or have the stuff to make it. I have heard they don't want to hear large or small. I also prefer not to order a coffee that requires me to obtain a co-signer on the loan.

My wife is currently back in her hometown, an hour or so from Irbit, where it has been snowing. When I told her we had hurricane Michael here she said she knew, and pointed out we had lost planes at Tyndall Airbase. I said I was not a Russian spy, so I didn't have those details. Whenever she talks Russian with her friends, I refer to it as "secret code". I did have to agree that while planes are portable, and could be moved from a storm's path, this was government, and leaving millions of dollars of equipment at risk was quite likely.
Still like Charlie Chaplin's 1940 talkie "The Great Dictator"; had to abandon it as the inspiration for the theme of my Ural's paint scheme. People can't seem to tell satire from support. Too much public education.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Dictator

2011 Gear Up from V.T. CYCLES, Pwr Arc Ignition, sprayed USMC 383 Green w/blacked engine/exhaust

Boog
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Boog » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:10 pm

I have not got my Ural yet but over 38 years of riding, I have seen lots of love/hate go around within the motorcycle brotherhood.

I took possession of my 29th machine a few months ago and personally, any bike, any rider is good by me.

I don't tolerate the haters for long though and have put away old friends who are brand purest due to their unreasonable / disrespectful attitudes. I'm pretty sure I won't lose anymore friends when the Ural finally graces me with its presence...
2014 Triumph R3T - Brahma
1981 Yamaha XS650SH Project
Dumfries, VA

BigJames
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Post by BigJames » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:52 pm

tgtrotter wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:28 pm
Birdy wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:07 pm
......"They don't make a sidecar rig anymore". Most didn't even know that H-D had made one ever.

Sad, but true. You gotta feel something for the less enlightened.
True that, so here is the primer for the less enlightened. Prior to 1911 HD sourced sidecars from Goulding and other vendors as needed. 1911 until 2010 the made about 900 a year for 99 years (even during the depression, police loved them back then. Kept the motor company alive.), sold every blasted one. Then some marketing genius, my guess Willie G's less than enlightened daughter (the same one who booked Elton John for the 100th Celebration), figured there was no market for them, so closed up shop and converted the sidecar line to 3 wheelers. And that is per my 96 (or 97) year old HD dealer who apparently owns the last one they made. I know this because I bought a 2010 RoadKing with plans of putting a side car on it in 2011, when I could afford it. Dealer (Grover Sassaman) looked all over for one, bugged the hell out of the HD brass as only a dealer hired by one of the founders can do (Arthur Davidson hired him as a dealer before WW2 then made sure he got a dealership after he served in the Marine corps as one of the lead mechanics for, of all things, the Black Sheep Squadron. Search out his interview on YouTube) and was not able to come up with one. Made him and I both a bit angry. Him probably more than me. Saying that, made me so angry that I traded my beautiful, comfortable, relatively fast and excessively dependable Road King for my Retro and never looked back. Grover really likes my Urals, especially Myrtle... Have ridden my Urals in every local HD function, save one, it was my venerable very high mileage Harley's turn, since 2011... No one says a word, but I am one of the old crusty riders now, if they do, I tell them to bugger off and go find some other kids to play with. I have no time for them... :foilhead:

End of lesson.
BigJames
19 Ural Gear Up
11 Ural Retro (108K and counting)
95/79 Bural Sportsman (Myrtle)
88 HD FLHS Watsonian Cambridge (232K and counting)
51 HD Servicar

Claus

Post by Claus » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:37 pm

From 2000 to 2004 I used to work in a HD workshop in hamburg as a mechanic. I test rode the bikes with my helmet I always wore: a leather covered German police helmet, my girlfriend made for me with a checker flag along from front to back and a embossed Ural logo on each side. The Harley customers made my boss talk to me that I should not ride their bikes with that Ural helmet :loco: . After a couple of months continuing to use that helmet my boss had a serious word to me that I had to stop. I decided to pack up with that company and my girl again had a great idea (she´s the politic part of our partnership). She made me a leather covered helmet with large carved and embossed leather Hermes Wings on each side, the god of travelers, thieves and speed. :lol:
Useless to say that I looked absolutely stupid with that helmet, I stored it in the shop and used it only to test ride customers´ bikes. Imagine a 6'3" guy weighting 350 lb with a long beard, 35" pigtail and a winged helmet .
There was a lot of arguing about that but no one could blame me for dishonouring their brand of bikes. Well, it was just a laugh how these old men with their fresh tattoos and ironed blue jeans got excited about that. :bs:
When I packed up in that company in 2004 I cut off the wings and I still use the helmet about daily. It always reminds ma about a good laugh I had in my former job...
owned bikes: 93 Ural rig domestic model, 95 Suzuki DR 650 RSE, BMW R100GS, Suzuki GSX1100G rig, BMW R100R rig with Ural sidecar, Ural rig with BMW drivetrain under construction,

hotflash44

Post by hotflash44 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:53 pm

Claus wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:37 pm
From 2000 to 2004 I used to work in a HD workshop in hamburg as a mechanic. I test rode the bikes with my helmet I always wore: a leather covered German police helmet, my girlfriend made for me with a checker flag along from front to back and a embossed Ural logo on each side. The Harley customers made my boss talk to me that I should not ride their bikes with that Ural helmet :loco: . After a couple of months continuing to use that helmet my boss had a serious word to me that I had to stop. I decided to pack up with that company and my girl again had a great idea (she´s the politic part of our partnership). She made me a leather covered helmet with large carved and embossed leather Hermes Wings on each side, the god of travelers, thieves and speed. :lol:
Useless to say that I looked absolutely stupid with that helmet, I stored it in the shop and used it only to test ride customers´ bikes. Imagine a 6'3" guy weighting 350 lb with a long beard, 35" pigtail and a winged helmet .
There was a lot of arguing about that but no one could blame me for dishonouring their brand of bikes. Well, it was just a laugh how these old men with their fresh tattoos and ironed blue jeans got excited about that. :bs:
When I packed up in that company in 2004 I cut off the wings and I still use the helmet about daily. It always reminds ma about a good laugh I had in my former job...
Yeah, times change growing up after the war and also the cold war some of the adults at the time had biases and probably for a good reason in their minds im sure post war Germany had their own thoughts on things. think the so called modern crowd has for the most part moved on . i personally havent had one nasty remark about my Ural actually just the reverse. i like the thought of a HD rider claiming he/she will only ride American,they should do some research on the outsourced HD componets. :cheers:
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

Birdy
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Birdy » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:57 pm

Well I for one don't care what you are riding, From a H-D to a Vespa it matters not. After all we're on the same road with the same dim wits who seem to try and run over us at times. Same rain, same windy day, same hot and cold weather, Same hail, same gravel and sticks smacking us. Any body out with me I'll wave at and not give them Sh*t. Even the twits on Crouch Rockets or even the Posers.