EFI mapping....yea or nay ???

Woe unto you that bought the first model year of a major remake, perhaps this section can help address any 2014 and later model Ural "imperfections". Here's a special section for folks with the latest rigs to discuss 2014 and later model-related topics such fuel injection, 3-wheel disc brakes, hydraulic steering dampers, spin-on oil filters and other anomalies that don't belong on true Russsian motorcycle ;-P We've gone from using big hammers and greasy wrenches to needing computers and Ouija boards in order to fix our rigs.
Forum rules
Please keep this section specific to issues pertaining to 2014 and later models such as fuel injection, sidecar and rear disc brakes and so forth. Ask general or non-2014 and later specific questions in the main Hammerin' & Wrenchin' section.
54vintage
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

EFI mapping....yea or nay ???

Post by 54vintage » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:20 pm

I've been reading some threads here and to my recollection there were differing opinions on doing the mapping to the bike. Mine spits and farts a bit, not that bad I think, but one would think an EFI system would be nice and smooth. Is there any new news on what Ural is up to when it comes to working this bug out?

As of now I have about 200 klicks on the rig and loved every second of it....having the EFI set up right would just be icing on the cake :cheers:
Chuck Loftin
2002 1150 GSA with 2005 Ural tub
1985 K100RT

2014 Sage Green GU....off to a new home
1974 R90S----gone
2009 G650GS---outtahere

rivers
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Re: EFI mapping....yea or nay ???

Post by rivers » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:22 pm

If I lived as close to the dealer as you do, I'd have'm get it right. Granted it's still a Ural but for the price of a 2014 it should good right out of the box. Just my opinion.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by gobium » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:30 pm

"Granted it's still a Ural but for the price of a 2014 it should good right out of the box. Just my opinion."
sorry Joe
what's planet r u fr? :lol:
old saying in Russia.
It will take 3 generations to get ural right.

chaos2
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by chaos2 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:00 pm

I'd wait for the 500km service. FI may need an update but consider it a work in progress rather than a finished piece out of the box.
Past afflictions include limey motocars and bikes, R60/2, R65ls, & a Citroen.
Now a DB Haanjo and Canyon CF SL Endurace, '87 K75s,
and a rusty 2012 GU bought new
dual K&N cones on homemade intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles, Modtop exhaust, E starter delete
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

Xradrider
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Xradrider » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:29 pm

Based on my experience wait until the next update version. I had it done on mine and off idle hesitation is worse than without the update. :x
XRadRider
Weston, FL
2014 BMW S1000R
2014 Ural Gear Up (SOLD)
2011 BMW R1200RT
2011 BMW G650GS
IBA #46323

rivers

Post by rivers » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:45 pm

gobium wrote:"Granted it's still a Ural but for the price of a 2014 it should good right out of the box. Just my opinion."
sorry Joe
old saying in Russia.
"Earth to Joe, come in" so prolly not from Earth I guess. Wouldn't expect it to be perfect or never break. It doesn't surprise me the EFI has a stumble issue. It took years and a couple model changes for BMW to get rid of the EFI stumble on the oilheads so I'm not bad mouthing IMZ/IMWA but I've priced an 014 and with the options I want I'm looking at near 20 grand. Sorry but I'm retired with not many 20 grand chunks of cash laying around and don't see any major raises in social security on the horizon so a new Ural would be my last hurrah economically .Again I don't expect perfection but for 20 grand I do expect a damn good running motor cycle from day one at least that doesn't need to go to the dealer every month for the latest greatest possible fix. I haven't ridden an 014 so have no idea how bad the stumble really is. If it's a slight stumble/burp ok but if every time you roll the throttle on it craps itself. Who mapped this thing Microsoft? On the carbed bikes it's normal for folks to massage them to their needs/expectations. That's acceptable but since EFI is supposed to be so great and trouble free system. Making repeated trips to the dealer for who knows how many tweaks/trips it'll take is not an acceptable trade off to setting up your own carbs. It'd be different if the owner could work on it but for that kind of money, having to be tied to the dealer is not sales feature. Being able to fix'em yourself w/o a dealer was one of Urals attractions for me.
Maybe the off idle stumble is exaggerated or even overly perceived but for 20 grand "It's a Ural, what did you expect...just take it to your dealer" don't fly with me. I'm sure it'll all get worked eventually but so far I'm glad I held off on spending the kid's inheritance.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

Xradrider
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Xradrider » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:34 pm

rivers wrote:
gobium wrote:"Granted it's still a Ural but for the price of a 2014 it should good right out of the box. Just my opinion."
sorry Joe
old saying in Russia.
"Earth to Joe, come in" so prolly not from Earth I guess. Wouldn't expect it to be perfect or never break. It doesn't surprise me the EFI has a stumble issue. It took years and a couple model changes for BMW to get rid of the EFI stumble on the oilheads so I'm not bad mouthing IMZ/IMWA but I've priced an 014 and with the options I want I'm looking at near 20 grand. Sorry but I'm retired with not many 20 grand chunks of cash laying around and don't see any major raises in social security on the horizon so a new Ural would be my last hurrah economically .Again I don't expect perfection but for 20 grand I do expect a damn good running motor cycle from day one at least that doesn't need to go to the dealer every month for the latest greatest possible fix. I haven't ridden an 014 so have no idea how bad the stumble really is. If it's a slight stumble/burp ok but if every time you roll the throttle on it craps itself. Who mapped this thing Microsoft? On the carbed bikes it's normal for folks to massage them to their needs/expectations. That's acceptable but since EFI is supposed to be so great and trouble free system. Making repeated trips to the dealer for who knows how many tweaks/trips it'll take is not an acceptable trade off to setting up your own carbs. It'd be different if the owner could work on it but for that kind of money, having to be tied to the dealer is not sales feature. Being able to fix'em yourself w/o a dealer was one of Urals attractions for me.
Maybe the off idle stumble is exaggerated or even overly perceived but for 20 grand "It's a Ural, what did you expect...just take it to your dealer" don't fly with me. I'm sure it'll all get worked eventually but so far I'm glad I held off on spending the kid's inheritance.
:thumbsup:
XRadRider
Weston, FL
2014 BMW S1000R
2014 Ural Gear Up (SOLD)
2011 BMW R1200RT
2011 BMW G650GS
IBA #46323

redtails
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by redtails » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:37 pm

I'm guessing that you have the "1.3" version, not the 1.6 (latest) version. Next time you talk to your dealer, ask about the version and let him know you'd rather skip the 1.6 and wait for the next revision.

Thing is, in my humble opinion, the 1.3 is not that bad, the bike cold/hot starts great, has a few stumbles off idle when cold but cleans up for the most part and runs fine when warm. When the EFI is sorted, its like electronic igition, you can just ride and forget about it.
- Jon
2014 Patrol Red/White "Uranus"

54vintage
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by 54vintage » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:37 pm

Thanks for the input guys. To me it's not such a big deal, I know what the bike is going to do, so I'm ready for it. It is just an off idle thing, even when it's all warmed up. But runs great heading down the highway. True I wish it didn't do the off idle thing, but I'm sure a fix will come. It is still has the factory mapping, not the update. I'll stick with it as it seems there isn't much stock in the "new" mapping.
Chuck Loftin
1985 K100RT

1974 R90S----gone
2009 G650GS---outtahere

Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by Albuquralque » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:50 pm

Everyone with a pre-2014 Ural will tell you that each Ural is an individual....no two Urals run alike, they all have their quirks.

Well guess what, the 2014's are pretty much the same. The 1.6 upgrade works great on some bikes....but there are those out there where it doesn't work so great. Out of four 2014 Urals in Colorado today, two had 1.6 upgrade and two others had it at one time and then went back to 1.3.

My bike doesn't like the 1.6 upgrade and runs better with out it. The only way you will know is to have it upgraded to 1.6 and drive it some for yourself. You have to drive it for a while so the EFI can go through it's learning cycle. You can always go back to 1.3.
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM), 2014 Patrol

irondad01
Party Member
Party Member

Post by irondad01 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:16 am

Do the throttle bodies have an air bleed screw ? I was reading on the ADVrider site that some Ducati models have an idle surge/hesitation and the fix was to take out the tamper proof plug and adjust the bleed screw. Turn it in to limit the air going in. They tried electronic fixes but didn't cure it. Some thought the system was designed to run best with the screw all the way in and then was adj. out to lean the mixture to pass testing. Carl
Ural tub on Yamaha 1300
VW trike
Suzuki S-40 rebuilt to look like 50s-60s British single

n3303j

Post by n3303j » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:33 am

How hard would it be to retrofit these things with carburetors? :lol:
Ron Cichowski

1998 Moto Guzzi V11 EV STOCK
1996/2014 Ural Sportsman.
Severely Upgraded, Modified and Remanufactured.
1977 Moto Guzzi 850 T3-FB ALMOST STOCK

MartyL
Benevolent Emperor
Benevolent Emperor

Post by MartyL » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:52 am

Just a thought, but is there a possibility that perhaps this is just a symptom of an engine not broke in yet? Maybe things need to bed in alittle?
2010 Gear Up
1976 Yamaha XS650C
2018 H-D FLHXS
Peace.... God Bless our brave soldiers defending our freedom. God Bless America!
As I get older, I see the wisdom in Hannibal Lecter......
Ladies,Do your part! Prevent MSB often! Save mankind!!!

Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by Albuquralque » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:47 am

MartyL wrote:Just a thought, but is there a possibility that perhaps this is just a symptom of an engine not broke in yet? Maybe things need to bed in alittle?
Good point MartyL. With any adjustment/modification of the EFI, the "learned info" is erased and you have to start new. It takes time for the EFI to gather this info as you ride.
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM), 2014 Patrol

54vintage
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by 54vintage » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:13 pm

Coluralado wrote:
MartyL wrote:Just a thought, but is there a possibility that perhaps this is just a symptom of an engine not broke in yet? Maybe things need to bed in alittle?
Good point MartyL. With any adjustment/modification of the EFI, the "learned info" is erased and you have to start new. It takes time for the EFI to gather this info as you ride.
So what you're saying Darrell is that like Hal...someday the rig is going to get too smart and lock me out....I can just see it now..." I'm sorry chuck, but I can't let you ride today" :wink:
Chuck Loftin
1985 K100RT

1974 R90S----gone
2009 G650GS---outtahere