Is there a way to make way old posts where people can't respond to them?

If you are having a problem with the forums, try clicking on the "FAQ" link at the top of the page first. If that doesn't work, stop in here for help. Suggestions for site improvement are welcomed. For the love of Lennin, if you have a tech question about your rig, put it in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section below, not here.
Forum rules
This is the place to report problems with the forums, ask for help with the fourms and test posts. Techincal Support for Ural and Dnepr motorcycles is in the Hammerin' & Wrenchin' section.
Eric N
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Is there a way to make way old posts where people can't respond to them?

Post by Eric N » Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:57 pm

Not sure if there is an "archive" feature, but it's weird seeing something pop up from 2007 just because a spambot responded to it and then the peanut gallery goes crazy.

Perhaps posts after a year become archived, and if someone wants to add something new after a year, they can just create a new post. Keep the threads more current vs old ancient stuff rising to the surface.
2018 Gear Up 825cc
2013 Retro Solo
2001 Patrol - Sold

Yankee Dog
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Re: Is there a way to make way old posts where people can't respond to them?

Post by Yankee Dog » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:02 pm

Why would this be a good thing.... I haven’t seem any old responses that looked like a bot.
chaos reigns.

2019 Gear-up/Sportsman

stagewex
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by stagewex » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:01 am

You are mistaking real people for bots.
It’s funny when I’m reading not aware that the thread is growing moss and happen to see a comment by me from 10+ years ago, and don’t remember doing so.
Stagewex

2019 Honda CRF450L (Elec Start)
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)

Desantnik-VDV
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Desantnik-VDV » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:58 am

Yes, it can be done.
Like Becky Blosser does - " This topic is now closed to further replies."
Alex
2007 GearUp - BMD (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMD-3)
40 idle/130 main/ 1.5 shim (0.8 mm washer)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The rest is just history... 4 previous Urals with telescopic front ends, BMW airheads, bigger Hondas, bigger sidecars...

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tomcatfixer » Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:40 am

You are mistaking real people for bots
No, Mike. Eric is correct. It happens more than you may realize, but you probably don't notice, since the moderators usually ban the 'bot and delete the post (though, on occasion, I ban the 'bot and leave it's post, if I feel deleting it would create thread confusion).
- Chad

Gordonsville, Virginia, USA

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 2001 Ural Patrol "Little Red Bear", 1999 Ural Tourist "The RPOC", Mid-Nineties Ural Tourist "The Heap", 1994 Honda VFR750F, 2007 BMW K1200GT

Previous rides:
2007 Honda VTR1000 FireStorm (Super Hawk in U.S.)
2001 Buell Blast! - - - - - - - 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
1993 Honda CBR600F2 - -1984 Yamaha FJ1100
Two different 1986 Yamaha FZX700S Fazers

stagewex
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by stagewex » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:48 pm

Speaking of bots and not sure if it's regional or national, I was asking a question about an old 1970's bike on craigslist this morning. We all are aware that they now charge $5.00 for a listing. Still a deal but from free it's a big deal for some.

When you ask a question now you have to go thru the captcha routine before you can submit. I suppose "bots" were contacting sellers?
Stagewex

2019 Honda CRF450L (Elec Start)
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)

Snakeoil
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by Snakeoil » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:40 am

I just got caught by the thread time limit on Miata.net. I had done a search on a particular topic and wanted to add some info that would have helped the next guy. I got all done typing and hit SUBMIT and was told I could not do this because the thread was over X days old. Said I could get around this by clicking a box that was not there. Suspect they removed the box.

If all members were good at researching before starting a new thread so that related info was all in one thread, that would be a wonderful thing and make finding info much easier for everyone. But we all know that will never happen. So maybe locking old threads is not a bad idea. You could still find them and read them and if you wanted to refer to them, that would still be possible to do in a new thread.

I was not aware that CL is now charging. Been a while since I listed anything there because it has been invaded by scammers. I think what has happened is the scammers have outnumbered the true listers and CL has become useless. I know many who have been burned by scammers on CL and refuse to go to that site any longer. It was only a matter of time and I wondered if they were ever going to do anything to prevent scammers. Another issue was some people abused CL. There is some guy locally who sells used tools. He's clearly a business based upon his volume. But he lists as a private person so you cannot filter out his junk, and I mean junk. He posts 100's of individual ads for rusty old tools. I suspect he will disappear with the new fee structure. FB Marketplace is probably going to be the next one to impose fees. Although the FB weenies may simply accept scammers as part of their digital lifestyle. We have a local Want Ad Digest that started when I was a little kid and cost 25 cents long before the web existed. They are on-line now and their content is greatly reduced. But they still charge for ads. Their come-on is pay only if you sell. But it requires a real person give info in order to list. They make a comeback now that CL is charging.
Regards,
Rob
Proud member of the Peanut Gallery
Certified Blatherer
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".

BinDerSmokDat
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2021
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2021

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:28 pm

Some of the old post have a lot of useful information.
They are regurgitated by us non-bots all the time to update info or provide follow-up months or even years later.
If a blanket rule of banning responses is applied to posts over "X months" old, get ready to rehash a lot of topics.
We already have dwindling site users and traffic, I don't see any reason to further limit reasons for people to post in old or new threads.