QuickSilver Synthetic

Start oil threads here so they can be ignored and/or ridiculed by most of us (except for those hardcore few that live for that kinda stuff).
Forum rules
Here's the place for you to debate what oil is best. Post your oil related topics her so we don't clutter up the other sections. Most people avoid oil threads like the plague.
WEGUNTER
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

QuickSilver Synthetic

Post by WEGUNTER » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:18 pm

Saw this 20/50 Full Synthetic at the auto parts store for a really good price. Says its specifically for large displacement 4 stroke motorcycles. Anybody ever heard of it? Also think you could use it in the Ural? First time running synthetics so I was not sure.

Bill

INSUBORDINATOR
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Re: QuickSilver Synthetic

Post by INSUBORDINATOR » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:50 pm

I have been told that oil especially formulated for motorcycles is better - but I wouldn't know because the only synthetic I can afford is MOBIL 1, which I have used in all my bikes & cars since I retired, & could no longer afford AMSOIL (which I used close to 20 years). So far the MOBIL 1 has been fine. A special bike synthetic should be very good, possibly even better than MOBIL 1.
Current Motorcycles: 02 Ural Tourist, 2010 modified Royal Enfield G5 Deluxe.

"Be who you are & say what you feel. Those that matter won't mind, those that mind - don't matter."

chaos2
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by chaos2 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:10 pm

MC oils are usually formulated with wet clutches and gearboxes in mind, but even with a Ural's dry clutch it should be fine in the engine or tranny. I don't bother running synthetic in the summer, but in freezing weather a 5-40 synthetic (Rotella T6) makes starting MUCH easier.
past afflictions include TR motocars and bikes, R60/2 & a R65, MGs, and a Citroen.
Now a 2012 FF GU and an 87 K75s
dual K&N cones on PVC intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles
Modtop exhaust
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

URAL CT
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by URAL CT » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:12 pm

Amsoil peddles this Z-Rod 20W-50 synthetic motor oil with ZDDP (Zinc additive) which I believe is suitable for the flat tappet crowd. I think our Urals have flat tappets being hammered by the cam shaft. It is not motorcycle specific but back in the old days there were no motorcycle specific oils & my 1968 /2 is still running strong :mrgreen: . Anyone tried this Amsoil Z-Rod oil??? :?
Currently I feed my Ural "Castrol Actevo Xtra 4T motorcycle oil, 20W-50" & seems OK. When I did the trip to Colorado, I had to top the oil & was out of the Castrol. I got a hold of Amsoil 20/50 premium motor oil with zinc. Quieted the engine some & I think it may be the Zinc. Lately I added 2oz of ZDDP additive to the oil & the motor seem to quiet down. I'm still evaluating it. YMMV
CT
2007 Patrol
Plano, TX

chocolatehauler
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by chocolatehauler » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:45 pm

I just ordered some Z rod ,we will see.
Green 06 patrol - Grandpa's Toy
Chocolatehauler

INSUBORDINATOR
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by INSUBORDINATOR » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:42 am

My AMSOIL salesman was very knowledgeable & recommended a different product. I think it was the oil for diesel trucks - but this may have been before they made the Z-rod oil. I do appreciate the way MOBIL 1 keeps my engine clean & sludge free.
Current Motorcycles: 02 Ural Tourist, 2010 modified Royal Enfield G5 Deluxe.

"Be who you are & say what you feel. Those that matter won't mind, those that mind - don't matter."

phliparoonie
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

Post by phliparoonie » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:39 am

URAL CT wrote:.... Anyone tried this Amsoil Z-Rod oil??? :?
I tried it once because the "added zinc". Noticed no appreciable difference between that, Redline products or Castrol 20w/50; except the price. I would rather use the Castrol recommended dino oil and use the savings for more filters and change the oil more frequently.
It is important to keep an open mind. But not so much that your brain falls out. Carl Sagan
I am old, but I'm happy. Cat Stevens
It's a tractor, not a Ferrari. Holopaw Gene

2004 Tourist "Charlie" 25,036 km - 18/04/24
stock: pipes, carbs, airbox, fuel petcock, tractor seat
new/add: windscreen,hack headlight,4 head stud holes,pistons,rings,starter,FD splined hub,clutch actuator bearing, clutch arm,donut,drive shaft,Ducati ignition,tank xover dscnect

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:37 am

I use a Quicksilver synthetic in my boat but it is a Mercury Marine Product and has been for many years. Strange someone would use the same name of such a well known marine product.
Dino in all my bikes with the exception of the new little TW200. Previous owner used Mobil1 and while I have not changed the oil yet I'm thinking about staying the same.
Stagewex

2007 Ural Patrol, 2006 Yamaha TW200, 1995 BMW K75, 1969 BMW r60/2US

WEGUNTER
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by WEGUNTER » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:05 am

Well now. This is the first time I have used a synthetic and I did it on a whim. Have put a couple hundred km's on the bike and have noticed to difference. No change in idle. Did have a little bit of leakage though and went around and tightened various nuts. Will run this until the next oil change and then go back to regular dino.

Snakeoil

Post by Snakeoil » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:32 pm

This is the same Quicksilver that makes the oils used in Mercury Marine engines. Walmart even lists this motorcycle oil. Looks like they are branching out into other motorsports areas based on their website.

https://www.quicksilver-products.com/en ... lubricant/
Regards,
Rob
Proud member of the Peanut Gallery
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".

Niteblues
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Niteblues » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:19 pm

WEGUNTER wrote:Well now. This is the first time I have used a synthetic and I did it on a whim. Have put a couple hundred km's on the bike and have noticed to difference. No change in idle. Did have a little bit of leakage though and went around and tightened various nuts. Will run this until the next oil change and then go back to regular dino.
I thought that once you go synthetic, you can't go back. I though it had something to do with the residual coating on internal parts that is left by the synthetic being problematic when dino oil is "mixed" with it.

...see if that Amsoil guy can field this question, will ya?
Scott

2004 Ural Patrol

"You can ride farther in one hour than you can walk in a day"

"Media bias contributes to erosion of the perception of truth." Tanya Marcum

Buckhorn

Post by Buckhorn » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:17 pm

Niteblues wrote:
WEGUNTER wrote:Well now. This is the first time I have used a synthetic and I did it on a whim. Have put a couple hundred km's on the bike and have noticed to difference. No change in idle. Did have a little bit of leakage though and went around and tightened various nuts. Will run this until the next oil change and then go back to regular dino.
I thought that once you go synthetic, you can't go back. I though it had something to do with the residual coating on internal parts that is left by the synthetic being problematic when dino oil is "mixed" with it.

...see if that Amsoil guy can field this question, will ya?
I checked with Shell about 12 years ago, about switching back and forth between conventional and synthetic oil. They said as long as I did a complete oil and filter change, there was no problem. Quaker State says the same thing, complete change no problems. :)
2013 Ural Gear Up Gobi camo
Raceway 2 into 1 right side high exhaust, with Two Brothers muffler
Dimple drain plugs
Shorty left side directionals
2010 Harley Fat Boy
:)

chaos2
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by chaos2 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:05 pm

Most big oil names have "blends" of synthetic and conventional that hit a price point cheaper than full synthetics. I've mixed leftover dino and syn many times and never had a second thought about it.
past afflictions include TR motocars and bikes, R60/2 & a R65, MGs, and a Citroen.
Now a 2012 FF GU and an 87 K75s
dual K&N cones on PVC intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles
Modtop exhaust
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

Niteblues
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Niteblues » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:07 am

Thanks- another old wives tale silenced by reason.
Scott

2004 Ural Patrol

"You can ride farther in one hour than you can walk in a day"

"Media bias contributes to erosion of the perception of truth." Tanya Marcum

Snakeoil

Post by Snakeoil » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:41 am

There are still a lot of urban legends out there about syn oils. I personally believe some of them were started by oil companies that did not have syn oils at the time. Others were created by folks who did not understand why their vehicle started exhibiting something different after switching to syn.

Syn oils were created by the Germans, I believe, during WWII because they were short on crude sources. Later, syn oils were further developed for use in jet engines because the temps were so high that crude based oils would deteriorate rapidly.

There was a big stink about the term "synthetic" being used to describe oil when all the oil companies started making them. Many were making them from crude basestocks. The end result was the term "synthetic" can be used if the oil meets certain properties. It does not mean it is made from synthetic base stocks which are normally esters and not crude. So, all syn oils are not created equal.

A couple of early urban legends were that syn oils will make your engine leak and cause ball and roller bearings to skid rather than rotate.

The leak thing is true in that older engines with worn seals are often still leak free because deposits are creating part of the seal now. When you install a syn oil, it's cleaning properties will clean out the crud and the seals begin to leak. Returning to crude based oils will not stop the leaks. Even Amsoil reps will tell you to not switch to their oil if you have over 75K miles on the engine.

The bearing skidding thing is almost comical. Jet engines all run on roller bearings. Syn oils were developed for jet engines. Needless to say, it is not true. I tend to think this one came from one of the non-syn oil companies when Mobil 1 and Amsoil first hit the market.
Regards,
Rob
Proud member of the Peanut Gallery
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".