Conclusion-Synthetics are the best to use in Urals

Start oil threads here so they can be ignored and/or ridiculed by most of us (except for those hardcore few that live for that kinda stuff).
Forum rules
Here's the place for you to debate what oil is best. Post your oil related topics her so we don't clutter up the other sections. Most people avoid oil threads like the plague.
Leftka
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Re: Conclusion-Synthetics are the best to use in Urals

Post by Leftka » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:43 am

cliffh wrote:There are those who don't like synthetics, and there are those who do like synthetics.

There also a few facts about synthetics are difficult to deny:
1) They cost more.
2) They are far more stable than standard oils, as in heat stable and tolerant.
3) They retain their stated viscosity even when at 0 degrees and flow immediately when the engine is started.
4) They are just more slippery than most standard oils.
5) The most expensive motors and engines in the world come standard with them.
6) The average Ural user, under normal riding conditions, may never notice the difference if they use synthetic oils.

So let's see then, stuck in traffic with a VERY hot engine....bet you wish now you had synthetic oil in the crankcase. Same if you do winter riding. "Normal" riding...well, you have to decide if the extra cost is worth it. I sure do not believe it would hurt the engine in any case.
+1 from city driver in SWFL
Leftka
Naples, FL
2012 "Red October" Tourist, Ursula
128/40 Jets
Harmonized at 10" hg
Dynojet DNO106 Needles, 3rd Notch From Bottom
Leftka 3, ALLuminum Custom Airbox
K & N MG 200 Filter Element
7/64" Drilled Carb Slides
Power Arc Ignition with VOES Advance/Retard
Mod Top Mufflers on Stock Headers
Parabellum Scout Fairing
Retro Lighting
Left Hand Throttle, Front Brake and Clutch

Peter Pan
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

Post by Peter Pan » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:09 pm

I agree with Cliff,
just would add one important point.
There are engines that were from their design on dedicated to mineral or synthetic oil use.

Indicators for synthetic use are.
Highly precise production tolerances applied to the grade that the fits are practically ready for racing.(on those bikes the factory indicates break in periods of less than 2500km)
pistons and cylinder sleeves surface treated (Nicasil...)
Esther resistant seals.

On at least the first two points we have to negate that they apply to Ural.
All of us have seen and applied to their purchase decision that our Soviet heritage is roughly machined grey cast iron that needs a good hand and certain touch to free up and become an educated reasonably reliable bike.
On the third point I saw there are only 3 seals specified in Viton.
Ain't that a few too less?

There is one thing I can definitely rely on. Sophie is the one who decides and dictates the speed we travel at.
Sometimes Datscha speed and lately often hoppla here come I and get out of my way speed for not to over heat or burn my clutch - A speed at which I often have to raise my prayer frequency to call my guardian angel a little closer.

Main reason for my top wish: low gear range / "pig's gear."
Sven
Sophie Travelair
Patrol 2013 a Jim Petitti special.(RIP)
8 weeks 12.000km Oregon - Alaska - Oregon, now in CR 41.000km and counting.
With a DIY foam air filter the rig runs well even in tropical rain. The air box looks then like an aquarium. :moto:
Final drives: 1. at 5000km, 2. at 34.000km(+friction plates)
transmission: 1. 40.000km. 2. installed

The Avatar are 2 rice grains stating life's essence:
"The most important you cannot see!"
=> Attitude makes the difference!

tx2sturgis
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by tx2sturgis » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:48 pm

chaos2 wrote: My gripe with synthetics is with the short change intervals many of the advantages and cost justifications of synthetics are lost.

Yeah that!

:beerchug:
---Brian
Republic of Texas

2013 Ural Solo sT

markhas
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by markhas » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:15 pm

BillyG wrote:Hook, line and sinker.....
+1
markhas
AMA member
ABATE Wisconsin
06' Tourist 41167/over 75,000Km, 91" 750 Honda Nighthawk sold to my buddy Ernie, we keep in touch.

cliffh
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by cliffh » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:22 am

I still don't get the controversy...if you want to use synthetic, use it. If you don't want to...don't. Simple.

Heck, you own your bike, use olive oil if you want to. Everyone has the right to be as smart or dumb on this subject as you want to be.

Just don't read this thread or ones like it, or do a little research and make an informed decision. There are millions of vehicles on the road today with each, so you will likely be just fine either way.

Personally, I enjoy reading informative posts and find the "dumb, smart a$$" remarks to be, well, just that.
Cliff
'98 Tourist (kick start only)
'97 Suzuki DR200
'99 Suzuki DR350
'90 Honda Pacific Coast
'93 Honda Goldwing

Trevorski
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin
Location: Adamant, Vermont, USA (yes, it's really a place name)

Post by Trevorski » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:35 pm

cliffh wrote:I still don't get the controversy...if you want to use synthetic, use it. If you don't want to...don't. Simple.

Heck, you own your bike, use olive oil if you want to. Everyone has the right to be as smart or dumb on this subject as you want to be.

Just don't read this thread or ones like it, or do a little research and make an informed decision. There are millions of vehicles on the road today with each, so you will likely be just fine either way.

Personally, I enjoy reading informative posts and find the "dumb, smart a$$" remarks to be, well, just that.
Interesting article here:
http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Rea ... -synthetic

I plan to run conventional for a while, then switch to synth., at least in the final drive. Overall I follow the approach I learned from an old timer- less fancy oil changed more often is better than more fancy oil changed less often.
2014 Asphalt Gray Gear Up: "Drastic Measures"
PNW Engine Guard, Biltwell "Tracker" handlebars, Depner 2-lever gated quadrant shifter... more in progress....
1976 Kawasaki KE125
2009 Royal Enfield AVL Scrambler- someone else's uncompleted project that I'll someday finish...
1995 Ural Tourist = "The Red Menace" owned 2007-April 2014.

cliffh
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by cliffh » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:32 pm

ALL oil seems to be "fancy oil" priced anymore!

Anyhow, interesting short article.

I think the industry would have been much better off to refer to "synthetic" oil as "modified" oil since that much better describes it. This would have reduced much of the confusion.
Cliff
'97 Suzuki DR200
'99 Suzuki DR350
'90 Honda Pacific Coast
'93 Honda Goldwing

craig wood
Comrade
Comrade

Post by craig wood » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:58 pm

what are the old timer bikes using?.....i use just reg oil, but i'm a cheap bastard and i change the oil so frequently, i dont wanna put something in it that i know when i drain it out, will still look new.....and its my daily driver when ever possible, with way too many damn miles in a day, thru all kinds of road conditions.....with no problems (knock on wood).
2012 gear up...forest fog.

cliffh
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by cliffh » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:52 am

I just use what ever 20W-50 is on sale sometimes, but normally Castrol in my '98 and '01. No problems as far as I know. If I lived where I had to do a lot of stop and go traffic riding in hot weather, I'd probably use synthetic. Let's face it, a Ural w/sidecar is like one motor pushing TWO motorcycles :shock: Not an easy life.

I do use synthetic oil in my vehicle that I use all winter so that the oil flows immediately when I start up. That HAS to be an advantage. Regular oil flows like molasses when cold.
Cliff
'97 Suzuki DR200
'99 Suzuki DR350
'90 Honda Pacific Coast
'93 Honda Goldwing

thumper05flstsc
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by thumper05flstsc » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:44 am

I love oil threads :clap: :boogie:

What I need to do is find someone that uses Synthetic and changes their oil on a relatively frequent basis and ask them to save it for me so I can use it in my rig........Yup, that's the ticket!
Forrest fog 2013 Gear Up. "IT"........GONE Replaced with an Indian Springfield.

"Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse" (SB)

barnone
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by barnone » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:18 am

Has anyone ever sent their oil sample off to have it analyzed?
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Doc
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Doc » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:57 pm

Leftka wrote:
Peter Pan wrote:I doubt synthetic is a good thing before 15.-20.000km in the engine. They come too tight from the Factory.
In transmition and final drive too its better to get things smooth and clean with mineral oil first, but 7500km for those 2 boxes is good enough.
Sven
Big disagree here...full synth 2500 km service on...Royal Purple in crankcase, redline lightweight in gear box, redline heavyweight in FD. At 24,000 kms the rig runs smooth, strong and gets great milegae. In the heat of SWFL she runs cool and pulls like a mule, runs like a deer and purrs like kitten. Gotta say full synth was a great move.
Well since we seem to have a difference of opinion, what are your thoughts of this? Has anyone used this?

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=121&pcid=21
HMCS(DSW/SCW) USN Retired
2015 Ural Gear-Up
2003 Indian Chief
Iron Indian Riders Association
"IF YOU CAN'T DODGE IT, RAM IT"
http://s145.photobucket.com/home/satdiver00/index
Las Vegas, NV :cheers:

chaos2
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by chaos2 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:16 pm

Doc wrote: what are your thoughts of this? Has anyone used this?

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=121&pcid=21
No. Motor seems to have broken in fine all by itself

I wonder if you could get 2 quarts worth of 20 different additives and just run on that. Imagine all the advantages!
past afflictions include TR motocars and bikes, R60/2 & a R65, MGs, and a Citroen.
Now a 2012 FF GU and an 87 K75s
dual K&N cones on PVC intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles
Modtop exhaust
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

Peter Pan

Post by Peter Pan » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:40 pm

Not even heard of it. How Sophie behaved in Salem hot summer with stop and go and on top with a bent clutch lever at 500 km. With Amsoil "break in oil" I go back to my old concept. Use the oil you head for to use from start on and do not play too much with brands. And if you want to go with synthetics, smoothen up the engine with mineral oil from the same brand.
Little stubborn but got confirmed in my opinion today by somebody who has broken 2 of his engines while runing synthetics.
Funny one 4 striker and one Jawa 2 stroker. Just as mine did get killed when running with synthetics.
Sorry have to run, more later.
Sven
Sophie Travelair
Patrol 2013 a Jim Petitti special.(RIP)
8 weeks 12.000km Oregon - Alaska - Oregon, now in CR 41.000km and counting.
With a DIY foam air filter the rig runs well even in tropical rain. The air box looks then like an aquarium. :moto:
Final drives: 1. at 5000km, 2. at 34.000km(+friction plates)
transmission: 1. 40.000km. 2. installed

The Avatar are 2 rice grains stating life's essence:
"The most important you cannot see!"
=> Attitude makes the difference!

commiezilla
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by commiezilla » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:19 am

Well I have been running Redline since I was at 1000km. Buddy of mine has had over 100+ motorcycles, repairs them and sells them. Never would think to run synthetics, tells me he has hard that there is advantages but figured if he changed the oil regularly that would make up for it.

Me however, I tried the syn and I am switching back to dino oil for a while and see how the bike runs. Federal government mandates that all oils whether synthetic or dino oil be able to be interchangeable I figure whats the point then.

So going back to dino oil tomorrow. Try it out again. I just bought a house so I need to save a little money. $15 a quart for Redline, paid $3.49 per quart for valvoline 20w50. I can hear it now...how much is your engine worth? Plenty but with the quality of oil refinement today it ought to be fine.
2011 Ural Gear Up :: Gobi Desert

"All 2WD is good for is getting you stuck further away from help!!!"--Scott

Tractor Supply: "The Ural Speed Shop"

"OPEC's bike of the year"

"Ural is BMW's Bastard Brother"

Ural-When I go on rides out past where Jesus lost his sandals....