Ok gentlemen I,m going through withdralls

Start oil threads here so they can be ignored and/or ridiculed by most of us (except for those hardcore few that live for that kinda stuff).
Forum rules
Here's the place for you to debate what oil is best. Post your oil related topics her so we don't clutter up the other sections. Most people avoid oil threads like the plague.
pierce
Comrade General
Comrade General

Ok gentlemen I,m going through withdralls

Post by pierce » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:59 pm

I feel the need for an other oil thread. I personally feel that Red line oil is the best out there.Now excuse me while I duck for cover. :wink:

Tin Man
Commissar
Commissar

Re: Ok gentlemen I,m going through withdralls

Post by Tin Man » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:27 pm

:foilhead: :foilhead: :foilhead: :foilhead: :machinegun: :foilhead: :foilhead: :foilhead:
Mike
2007 GearUp (Arctic #1)
130/45 jets, KTM rock solid mirrors, Delaware Dave's outstanding trunk lock, Mr. Cob's most excellent skid plate, Cycra Probend smashproof hand guards, Duro strong like bull 307's, RotoPax damn near bulletproof fuel cans, MKIII all but water proof air box and Dimples super duper magnetic drain plugs all around...oh yeah, and a manual fuel petcock.

.........if you see something that needs doing, just do it........

gflapg
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by gflapg » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:49 pm

nosepick.gif

LOOK OUT BELOW !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
May all beings be blessed by the three jewels
May the planet be at peace, and the earth stay beautiful
May all beings be happy
May all have good fortune

"When the mind is clear, one can sip tea; when the spirit is at ease, one can talk of aspiration."

2010 GU ( the year before that goofy Pecans and Cream Version)
2003 Raceway Custom Built Wolf
1993 Solo

sergeantbrown
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by sergeantbrown » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:24 am

DI-NO, DI-NO, DI-NO... :clap:

(Tastes Great/Less Filling)

Sarge :foilhead:
2004 Ural Retro Rig, "Boris Badenov"
1973 VW Thing "Das Kubel"
http://www.sidecarsarge.webs.com

markhas
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by markhas » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:11 pm

I just bought 4 quarts of the heavy duty gear oil and am using it in the FD. Thinking of putting it in the tranny also but not till next oil change. The best thing about the purchase was visiting with the guy who owned the shop where I bought it. We knew a lot to the same people and places, having many shared experiences with motorcycles, dune buggys, gocarts, auto racing, Road America and Lyndale Farms, and mechanics. He even knew what I was riding as he took a look out the window at my Tourist in the parking lot That visit alone was worth the outrageous price for snake snot...
markhas
AMA member
ABATE Wisconsin
06' Tourist 41167/over 75,000Km, 91" 750 Honda Nighthawk sold to my buddy Ernie, we keep in touch.

pierce
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by pierce » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:10 pm

Markhas all that I relate to is my personel experence. We were having trouble getting over 10.000 miles on our nortons, using castrol 20-50. Thought we would try redline 20-50 and see what would happen. To our suprise they ran strong 40.000 plus. If you know old Brittish motorcycles you can understand why I like redline. :cheers:

markhas
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by markhas » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:20 pm

pierce wrote:Markhas all that I relate to is my personel experence. We were having trouble getting over 10.000 miles on our nortons, using castrol 20-50. Thought we would try redline 20-50 and see what would happen. To our suprise they ran strong 40.000 plus. If you know old Brittish motorcycles you can understand why I like redline. :cheers:
Well I might find the Red Line snake snot to do the job as I suspect it will but I will never know about Brittish motocycles cause I have owned MG's and Triumph motor cars and worked on many Myford and the like machine tools, and from that experience I'll save myself the head ache of every getting near another Brittish piece of crap again in my life. They work nice till they need tuning up and then all hell comes to play, Russia could never, will never be any worse. and from what I see Ural doing they unlike the Brits are improving...
markhas
AMA member
ABATE Wisconsin
06' Tourist 41167/over 75,000Km, 91" 750 Honda Nighthawk sold to my buddy Ernie, we keep in touch.

gflapg
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by gflapg » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:27 pm

pierce wrote:Markhas all that I relate to is my personel experence. We were having trouble getting over 10.000 miles on our nortons, using castrol 20-50. Thought we would try redline 20-50 and see what would happen. To our suprise they ran strong 40.000 plus. If you know old Brittish motorcycles you can understand why I like redline. :cheers:
I would love to have a Norton to just ride around on. I agree when I was young oil was a terrible problem with Brit Bikes.
May all beings be blessed by the three jewels
May the planet be at peace, and the earth stay beautiful
May all beings be happy
May all have good fortune

"When the mind is clear, one can sip tea; when the spirit is at ease, one can talk of aspiration."

2010 GU ( the year before that goofy Pecans and Cream Version)
2003 Raceway Custom Built Wolf
1993 Solo

catfish
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by catfish » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:04 am

How the hell did you know oil was a problem with Brit bikes??The BSA's and Triumphs that I remembner back in the early 70's would crap out almost every time out and it usually was the Lucas Electrics that crapped out.They never put enough miles on in one summer to need to change the oil.I hauled most of my friends bikes back to their houses on Friday nights.I cannot remember a Friday night when we could take a run to the beach and back without one or more of those Brits breaking down and they were all 1 or 2 year old bikes. :lol:

CATFISH

pierce
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by pierce » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:57 am

catfish wrote:How the hell did you know oil was a problem with Brit bikes??The BSA's and Triumphs that I remembner back in the early 70's would crap out almost every time out and it usually was the Lucas Electrics that crapped out.They never put enough miles on in one summer to need to change the oil.I hauled most of my friends bikes back to their houses on Friday nights.I cannot remember a Friday night when we could take a run to the beach and back without one or more of those Brits breaking down and they were all 1 or 2 year old bikes. :lol:

CATFISH
Catfish I,m 72 years young and I have a hard time recalling those problems. :mrgreen:

MartyL
Benevolent Emperor
Benevolent Emperor

Post by MartyL » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:49 am

Lucas Electronics is a tool of the Devil.... :twisted: :roll: :lol: My Brother in law restored a MGB. The first thing he did was rip out ALL the Lucas wiring.... I had buddies with Triumph Bonnies. Ultimately, we got rid of as much wiring as we could and started over. It really was the simplest way of dealing with it...
2010 Gear Up
1976 Yamaha XS650C
2018 H-D FLHXS
Peace.... God Bless our brave soldiers defending our freedom. God Bless America!
As I get older, I see the wisdom in Hannibal Lecter......
Ladies,Do your part! Prevent MSB often! Save mankind!!!

pierce
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by pierce » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:32 pm

As fore reliabiltity your right, they were bad. But look what we had to compare to back in the 50 and early 60ies harley. The cars were not very depenable then eather. I bought a new harley electra glide in 1965 could not get out of town with the damn thing. :(

Hogmaine
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Hogmaine » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:14 pm

I feel the need for an other oil thread. I personally feel that Red line oil is the best out there.Now excuse me while I duck for cover.
Please read 2,3, and 4 I think apply here :lol: :lol: :lol:

mas·och·is·tic  [mas-uh-kis-tik, maz‐] Show IPA
adjective
Psychiatry . having a condition in which sexual gratification depends on suffering, physical pain, and humiliation.
gratified by pain, degradation, deprivation, etc., inflicted on oneself either by one's own actions or the actions of others.
tending to be self-destructive.
tending to find pleasure in self-denial, submissiveness, degradation, etc.
“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” Leonardo da Vinci
2008 Patrol
2016 Versys 650 LT
2011 Gear Up

cdscoot
Order of Victory
Order of Victory
Location: The lower southern tier of central upstate NY ,Binghamton,NY

Post by cdscoot » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:29 pm

I think oil is good!
Craig
Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again. Every morning is the dawn of a new error .
2010 Patrol T
2016 BMW R1200GS

JohnBG
General Secretary
General Secretary

Post by JohnBG » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:23 pm

This year I fried my turkey in the cheaper Lou Anna combination sunflower/peanut oil. It wasn't as good as the straight peanut oil... :(
John Grocke aka "JohnBG"
Site Administrator - sovietsteeds.com

Current Rides:
'06 Ural Raven - "Vorona"
'09 Kawasaki KLR650 - "Madea"

History:
'98.5 Ural Tourist - "Valentina" - Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Harley Road King FLHPI
1997 Harley Electra Glide FLHTPI
Honda Nighthawk 650 from the mid-80's
1980 Suzuki RM125T
1970 Honda CL100

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle.” ― Hunter S. Thompson