Holopaw Ural trailer hitches

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
DanKearney
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

2WD trailer hitch

Post by DanKearney » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:25 pm

Whitey,

I was looking at the 2WD trailer hitch on your website, but can't see in my mind how it mounts. Have yu guys got any photos of one mounted on a Patrol?

Cheers,

Dan K.
Black Hawk, CO

Mud Pie
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Mud Pie » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:21 pm

I have one of Gene's hitches. Really well made, heavy duty hitch, glad my wife bought it for me for Christmas. The only thing I'd prefer is a box-type receiver instead of the ball only option, as it limits the trailer tongue height choices. It is higher than the 1WD hitch, naturally, because of the sidecar drive shaft.

Installation is simple. Two U-bolts and you're done.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2005 Ural Gear Up with DP-28 replica
Patriot Guard Rider

"I don't drive a Ural to make great time, I drive a Ural to have a great time."

"There is no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws." - Ayn Rand "Atlas Shrugged"

DanKearney

Post by DanKearney » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:19 pm

Mud Pie,

Thanks for the photos. That's exactly what I wanted to see. Hope you don't mind a few more questions, since you're the man with the experience.

I see that the mount is fastened to the hack frame via two U bolts. Have you ever noticed any tendency for the mount to twist laterally (Such as if the trailer you're pulling sways left and right)?

Or, since the mount is a square tube fastened to a round tube, have you seen any tendency for the mount to rotate counter-clockwise on the hack frame. I ask this because the tongue weight is off-center relative to the mounting point. Also, I don't see any provision for safety chains. I don't know if this would be required in my state (Colorado).

Do you have trailer lights wired in on yours? I didn't notice anything in the photo.

Lastly, in your experience, how much weight woul dbe a reasonable amount to tow before it too adversely effected the Ural's handling. My intention would be to pull the smallest trailer possible to carry my camping equipment. Now that I have a wife that wants to travel along, I can't fill up the tub with gear.

Thanks for your help.

Dan K.
Black Hawk, CO

Syzygy
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Syzygy » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:07 pm

Is it a new wife, or is her desire to tag along new? =)
If four wheels move the body and two wheels move the soul, then three wheels do what?

DirtyDR
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by DirtyDR » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:54 pm

Dan,
I bought one from Gene also. When I got mine I cut the angle out rewelded it straight so that the trailer would track right behind the rig and not stick out the side. I had to offset the tounge on the trailer a little but the trailer wheels track right behind the bike and hack wheels.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dana
Моё судно на воздушной подушке полно угрей
2006 Patrol in Blue

Proud member of the Patrol Patrol

Mud Pie
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Mud Pie » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:08 pm

DanKearney wrote:Mud Pie,

Thanks for the photos. That's exactly what I wanted to see. Hope you don't mind a few more questions, since you're the man with the experience.

I see that the mount is fastened to the hack frame via two U bolts. Have you ever noticed any tendency for the mount to twist laterally (Such as if the trailer you're pulling sways left and right)?
Nope. If you notice in one of the pics, you can see an angled bracket that rests against the frame, so it can't twist. I also got "manly" on the wrench and really torqued them U bolts !!
DanKearney wrote:Or, since the mount is a square tube fastened to a round tube, have you seen any tendency for the mount to rotate counter-clockwise on the hack frame. I ask this because the tongue weight is off-center relative to the mounting point. Also, I don't see any provision for safety chains. I don't know if this would be required in my state (Colorado).
Nope no safety chains. Made me go "Hmmmm" too.... :?
DanKearney wrote:Do you have trailer lights wired in on yours? I didn't notice anything in the photo.
No wiring for lights yet. I haven't even towed anything with it yet. I don't look forward to cutting into my russian wiring harness, it's a ticking time bomb as it is.... The american version of the wiring harness already has everything in place. Not so in my case.
DanKearney wrote:Lastly, in your experience, how much weight woul dbe a reasonable amount to tow before it too adversely effected the Ural's handling. My intention would be to pull the smallest trailer possible to carry my camping equipment. Now that I have a wife that wants to travel along, I can't fill up the tub with gear.
Can't answer that, haven't towed anything yet. But I did find out that it creates even more UDF.... :lol:
2005 Ural Gear Up with DP-28 replica
Patriot Guard Rider

"I don't drive a Ural to make great time, I drive a Ural to have a great time."

"There is no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws." - Ayn Rand "Atlas Shrugged"

ReCycled

Post by ReCycled » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:03 pm

Dana, I like the way you do 4-wheel drive!
David B.
'07 Ural Twourist

whitey
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by whitey » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:33 am

Good morning all , we can and do make receiver type hitches and can also make them to come straight out instead of at an angle..

Paul
2009 Black Royal Enfield Classic

81 El Camino ( 535 hp )

www.uralfla.com

Visit the webite or call on 407 892 1901

DirtyDR
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by DirtyDR » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:44 am

Paul,
In retrospect I would buy the straight one but I didn't know what I would need at the time and just like everything else I get from you guys the quality is great on it.
Dana
2006 Patrol in Blue

QBall
Commissar
Commissar

Post by QBall » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:36 pm

I am not sure why the hitch is offset. I figured it had something to do with the center of gravity of the side car rig. Maybe I am wrong (any input Gene or Whitey on Genes behalf?) I can say that I have loaded a trailer with over 300 pounds of weight and on hard braking it "pushed" straight. I have a narrow trailer and it does not seem to track out into the center lane at all.
QBall
2007 Gear Up - Yertle
2000 Triumph TBird

CURD Ambassador to Connecticut

whitey
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by whitey » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:24 am

Hi Dana and thanks for the feedback its always appreciated :)

The hitch is offset to center the load.

We made a straight receiver style recently for the purpose of carrying a wheelchair.

We will make anything to a customers specs if desired.

Happy towing

Paul :)
2009 Black Royal Enfield Classic

81 El Camino ( 535 hp )

www.uralfla.com

Visit the webite or call on 407 892 1901

berger
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by berger » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:06 am

DirtyDR wrote:Dan,
I bought one from Gene also. When I got mine I cut the angle out rewelded it straight so that the trailer would track right behind the rig and not stick out the side. I had to offset the tounge on the trailer a little but the trailer wheels track right behind the bike and hack wheels.
Dana, I am shocked and appalled! You have a Ural man! What do you need a Rokon for!! :lol: :D

I must admit, they are cool....
Berger

2007 Ural Patrol (1st Owner)
Many, Many Mods.

URAL CT
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Hitch from Gene

Post by URAL CT » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:42 am

[quote="bergerDana, I am shocked and appalled! You have a Ural man! What do you need a Rokon for!! :lol: :D ...[/quote]

Hi Berger..That's DD's back-up for the spare tire... :lol:
Charlie T... 8)
CT
2007 Patrol
Plano, TX

DirtyDR
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by DirtyDR » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:32 pm

I don't have a monkey to help me push like Spat does, of course that third wheel does come in handy sometimes: http://jmb64vols.smugmug.com/gallery/73 ... sd4uS-A-LB
Dana
2006 Patrol in Blue