New to me 2011 Patrol, still the same bad luck.....

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
Emoore
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Re: New to me 2011 Patrol, still the same bad luck.....

Post by Emoore » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:42 pm

Mr Wazzock wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:42 pm
RC20 wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:21 pm
Can you post the link to the 2017 troubles.
This might be it. (?) There may be other(s) :o

Why I Hate my 2017 CT
That was just the beginning. One new engine, 2 throttle bodies and numerous bits and parts later....one break down after another. That bike left me stranded more times than ide like to admit. Like I said, those that know me know the story.
It was cursed.....
Ernest
2012 Ural T Olive (Roulette)
2011 Patrol (OTTO)
Yamaha FZ07 ( My need for speed )

Wake Forest, NC

John Wayne - Life's Hard. It's Even Harder When You're Stupid.

Emoore
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Emoore » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:50 pm

rougaroo wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:00 pm
Bill's did the same thing up in the Blue Ridge - just a lack of power and a kind of out-of-balance vibration. Those main bearings are pretty stout and can take a lot of abuse. But when they ultimately fail it is a lot more costly than what you're facing right now.

As Bill said, take off the cylinders and see if you get any lateral play in the rods. If there isn't any big play, then all you're facing is the end bearings. If you do have rod play, then it is time for a new crank as well as the main bearings.

At that point, like the monkey said while peeing in the cash register, "This seems to be running into money."

Rougaroo
I will try what Bill said and see if there is any play.
Probably sometime over Thanksgiving.
I appreciate it.
Ernest
2011 Patrol (OTTO)

Wake Forest, NC

Emoore
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Emoore » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:54 pm

WEGUNTER wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:48 pm
What Bob said. I think I ran round for about a year with the rear main bearing going south. i did start to hear a whirring sound out the back end and thought it was the clutch. Not sure what "pro" you are talking about. If I were you I would get on Facebook and give Van a shout. he is about a 7 hour drive. Other option would be ship to Terry or out to Heindl but it will cost you. Not sure if you have a place to work on it, but I would determine what is wrong first. Get your self a stethoscope and give a listen to where the trans mates up to the engine. If it is a rear main bearing then you might be able to hear it.
Pro I was referring to Terry or Heindl.
I have no problem performing the work, but my space is limited as is my funds. I don't want to end having this bike in pieces while I wait for parts money.....know what I mean. I can afford a couple of gaskets and take the jugs off and check for play, but right now no matter the outcome I can't do anything about it........
Just my pi$$ a$$ luck.
Ernest
2011 Patrol (OTTO)

Wake Forest, NC

WEGUNTER
Commissar
Commissar

Post by WEGUNTER » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:16 pm

Ernie: Based on previous info do the following:

1. Drink a beer and then take a nap. Everything looks better after a nap.
2. Try and get the bike's previous work history
3. Ride the bike and put 2-3 hundred km's on it. Listen for whirring sound or grinding noise. Try listening to the engine with a work stethoscope (auto parts store has them) dump the oil in a clean and clear container. Look for additional chunks, look for silver flecks or sparkling powder in the oil. Find either of these and you have a problem.
4. Drop the oil pan. look for additional chunks. If you have a bearing disentergrating, there will be more chunks.
5. If you found what was described above, then pull one of the heads and do the wiggle test to the conneccting rod. If you get left to right movement then your crank is toast. If no movement (you dodged a bullet) then focus on the rear main bearing.
Take a look at Bill Glasser' site to see what is involved.

Lofty
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by Lofty » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:37 pm

WEGUNTER wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:16 pm
If you found what was described above, then pull one of the heads and do the wiggle test to the connecting rod.
The word "heads" keeps being used here, but shouldn't it be "cylinder"?
Would like to know for my own knowledge base.
I can't envision how the connecting rod could be tested for lateral movement with the cylinder in situ and just the piston crown being visible after removal of the head.
Cheers.
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

Lokiboy

Post by Lokiboy » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:41 pm

Lofty,

You are correct. The entire cylinder has to be removed so you can grab the piston rod for the “wiggle” test
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
100,000 km and counting

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:53 pm

Have you dropped the sump yet to look for more bits? Could possibly get a look at the main bearings as well.
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

RC20

Post by RC20 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:15 pm

That was just the beginning. One new engine, 2 throttle bodies and numerous bits and parts later....one break down after another. That bike left me stranded more times than ide like to admit. Like I said, those that know me know the story.
It was cursed.....
With that kind of stuff coming out it should not be ridden. Damage may be limited at this point, wiping out the whole engine is not going to make things better. Pulling the pan is a first step and a full on inspection. Then decisions made from there.

While not the same magnitude, I got a bicycle like that. Full. suspensions, about $1200 which was a bit deal for me. I think everything but the frame wound up getting replaced on it (mostly under warranty, phew). It was a royal pain taking it to the dealr and picking it up each time trying to time between rides (it was my main summer mode to work)

Once I got it sorted it was a reliable steed. So there is always a calculation if you have it sorted and worth keeping.

Bless the bike shop, when the forks had to go in a couple of times they put on a spare set, not as good but did the job while the factory worked on the originals.

What I don't get is the expectation of a better outcome with the move to an older Ural.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

WEGUNTER
Commissar
Commissar

Post by WEGUNTER » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:17 pm

yes pull the cylinder as well as head. ride it first and then dump the oil and drop the pan. don's see how you could view the bearings in this manner.

WEGUNTER
Commissar
Commissar

Post by WEGUNTER » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:20 pm

in terms of Ernie's previous rig, he indeed had a basket case from the start. I am pretty sure the dealer he bought it from was partially responsible