My Dnepr MT-11 Story

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
jaybird
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov
Location: The foothills of the Forked River Mountains, West Barnegat NJ (Do It In The Pines!) 08005

Re: My Dnepr MT-11 Story

Post by jaybird » Wed May 20, 2020 12:23 am

That really turned out great, ride in good health :cheers: It looks like you have a really good dog there too.

Happy trails,
Jaybird
2005 Gear-Up, Mr. Nat_ural 108,000+ Kilometers and counting
2013 Retro, Black beauty, AKA Lucky "13"
1995 Olive Tourist
1975 Enfield Diesel Bullet
2008 Enfield Bullet 500
1974 BMW R 75/6
Etc.

Orangecicle
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by Orangecicle » Fri May 29, 2020 10:50 am

Copying over from a separate thread where I asked this question:

I bought an aftermarket long exhaust set for my bike. The flange of the pipes aren't perfectly round, and they are maybe 1mm larger than the original pipes. Are there any suggestions of what to do? I was thinking of running them down to a local muffler shop to see if they had a tool to pinch them down just a little. Otherwise, I think the solution is more slowly filing away at the flanges and working them into the aluminum head ports. I think this will result in the pipes digging into the aluminum a bit but not really removing much material in the process.

Thoughts?

Claus

Post by Claus » Fri May 29, 2020 12:25 pm

I would widen them a tad by beating a thick walled steel tube in. This way it becomes round and you can mount it with a piece of aluminium sheet metal rolled to fit and an exhaust clamp or an aircraft clamp. If the steel tube is stuck in the muffler, whack the muffler where it´s stuck on the tube with little blows round and round with a plastic mallet or better with a dead blow hammer. So it really gets the tube´s shape, widens up a little more and after going round two or three times, the tube falls out itself.
owned bikes: 93 Ural rig domestic model, 95 Suzuki DR 650 RSE, BMW R100GS, Suzuki GSX1100G rig, BMW R100R rig with Ural sidecar, Ural rig with BMW drivetrain under construction,

Orangecicle

Post by Orangecicle » Sat May 30, 2020 12:41 pm

I finally got the exhaust on! My problem was that the bit of pipe that fits recessed into the head was about a millimeter too big. The pipe was also not perfectly round. I followed the advice of a local that I trust. He suggested that as long as the pipe was thick enough, I should just carefully take an angle grinder and shave down the pipe. I did that until I could get the pipe properly seated in the head.

Everything else went together seamlessly. I bought the exhaust system from FastBoys in the UK after I found them on eBay. Great service from those guys. I tried to buy much cheaper flat black mufflers from China, but I could not get them delivered because of Covid-19.

The next project will be to finally fix the carbs. I have a rich left carb because the float on that carb is just not right. New parts are on the way . . . stuck in Minsk right now, but on the way.

Orangecicle

Post by Orangecicle » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:08 am

Glad to see my video above back. YouTube first terminated my account based on some undisclosed violations of its Terms of Use. Then the next day, they decided that my Dnepr videos were maybe far less of a threat to global world order than they originally thought, and they reinstated me . . . without explanation. Weird.

I'm still very much struggling with inconsistent firing of one or both of the jugs on my bike. Starting has become a real struggle at times. I pulled the plugs recently and found that they were fouling rich. So, I pulled the carbs to have a look. I found a few drops of water in one carb bowl, so that's curious. I also raised the floats a little so that they were not perfectly flush per the book. I thought this would help the rich condition. Plugs cleaned and reinstalled, and she just struggles to run evenly. I checked the timing and believe I'm about right at 34°, so it's not that. Hmmmm. I have a new set of carbs on order, but they are stuck in the mail at some undisclosed point after leaving Minsk. I also have parts stuck somewhere in the mail after clearing Lviv, and a Vostok watch that has cleared customs in Moscow more than two months ago with no word of what happened thereafter.

All . . . very . . . frustrating.

urmas

Post by urmas » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:04 am

Wow this thread has grown, great stuff.

The K68s are notorious for running rich for no apparent reason. Theres alot of alternatives arround fortunately, google is your friend. I went the chinese route.

Is this the only build thread in this forum? Havent seen any apart from this one.
1991 Dnepr MT-11

Orangecicle

Post by Orangecicle » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:33 pm

urmas wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:04 am
Wow this thread has grown, great stuff.

The K68s are notorious for running rich for no apparent reason. Theres alot of alternatives arround fortunately, google is your friend. I went the chinese route.

Is this the only build thread in this forum? Havent seen any apart from this one.
This I don’t know. I struggled trying to find a place for what I wanted to do with a thread and finally decided the best place for it was in this repair section. Seemed appropriate at the time. :P

I can vouch for 68s running rich! I keep struggling with a rich condition, which is why I tried the change the float height. When I installed the new floats, I could not get the floats down level like they should be, so I just went with that. When I went back to investigate where they were, they were either level or past level, so I did some tang adjustment to bring them back up. I’m guessing the problem with them is the flimsy floats. Ah, fun with carburetors. This really takes me back to my KTM 950 ownership days.

Orangecicle

Post by Orangecicle » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:27 pm

So, I order this rim from the Ukraine and paid on 2/18/20. The eBay seller shipped 3/25/20. The rim arrived yesterday - 6/4/20. I had given up hope.

The interesting thing is that the seller wrote my address info on the back of a hardback book cover. I’m wondering what the book was about. Hmmmm. Apparently he didn’t find the text too interesting.

Claus

Post by Claus » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:02 am

owned bikes: 93 Ural rig domestic model, 95 Suzuki DR 650 RSE, BMW R100GS, Suzuki GSX1100G rig, BMW R100R rig with Ural sidecar, Ural rig with BMW drivetrain under construction,

Orangecicle

Post by Orangecicle » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:17 pm

I continue to trace down the remaining oil leaks on my bike. I notice that the final drive is leaking a bit out onto the surface of the hub and then spinning oil out onto the rim. I assume there's some form of seal on the inside of the final drive that has failed. Thoughts? I'm looking for a schematic of how the final drive seals.

Claus

Post by Claus » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:39 pm

There is a seal
under this cap:

Take the wheel off, undo the cap, pry out the seal and clean the drain hole with brake cleaner or gas and compressed air.
Take care the fallen off old spring ring is coming out ,too.
Install the new seal and take care the spring ring doesn´t fall off during installation. Best way is to lube it with oil and maneuver it onto the sealing surface with two small screw drivers. If you put some very thin plastic foil over the gear and oil it liberally, it will prevent the seal to be damaged.
After pulling the foil off, check again the spring ring to be in place. Install cap and wheel. Done.

If you do it the first time, it´s a PITA and you want the final drive on the table. If you know what you´re doing after a couple of times, it´s easy to install a new seal with final drive mounted on the motorcycle.

Orangecicle

Post by Orangecicle » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:02 am

Thanks, Claus. The seal is in the mail.

I finally finished my spare wheel project. That turned out nice. However, it was not cheap.

My next project is the fuel shutoff. My tank uses a shutoff that fits the MT-11 tank. I doubt the ball valve is original. This one is just a brass ball valve with no reserve setting. It's leaking through the valve, so it needs replacing. What works best? Educate me.

Orangecicle

Post by Orangecicle » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:37 am

Installed a set of Weber 68s last night I got out of Ukraine. The bike now runs perfectly. But, can you see what I did wrong?

Who's Ur Grandaddy ?

Post by Who's Ur Grandaddy ? » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:56 pm

I’ve been following this thread, good job !
As for wrong perhaps I would run the fuel line on the aft side of the throttle cable .Also I would position my spark plug cap and wire so it doesn’t lay on the hot head fins .
Wrong is such a harsh word.
john
2013 FF gear-up
Mr Cob bulletproof skid plate
Powerarc ignition
Raceway titanium carb needles 4th notch from top
132 1/2 main ... 42 pilot ... air/fuel 1 1/2 turns out
7/64 drilled slides
Leftka III type airbox
Modtop mufflers

Orangecicle

Post by Orangecicle » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:56 am

Who's Ur Grandaddy ? wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:56 pm
I’ve been following this thread, good job !
As for wrong perhaps I would run the fuel line on the aft side of the throttle cable .Also I would position my spark plug cap and wire so it doesn’t lay on the hot head fins .
Wrong is such a harsh word.
My “wrong” was putting the air screws on the inside as opposed to facing out. :P :oops: