Looking for some clutch confirmation...

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
OneTraveler
Comrade
Comrade

Looking for some clutch confirmation...

Post by OneTraveler » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:25 am

Just replaced throttle cables and clutch cables on my 07 Patrol. After 30K KM, figured my originals had plenty of stretch in them. Not loving the feel of the clutch after the new cable. Checked out all the adjustment threads I could...think I have a good handle on the adjustment, though the concept of "play" both at the handle and the tran is a bit flexible. Thought I had it (still have a pretty health "CHUNK" going in to first, but I've always had that)...thought a great way to test would be to kick it up on the stand and get it in first then pull in clutch. Figured the tire would stop moving.

It didn't. No matter the adjustments I made. Feeling pretty frustrated, I put her to bed for the evening then back to the forums. All adjustments seem right, but then came across and old clutch thread with comment from Jpanyon:
JPanyon wrote:
Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:47 pm
Also, the Ural clutch plates DO NOT completely disengage when you activate the clutch lever. Prove it to yourself. Put the rig on a jack so the pusher wheel is free to rotate. With the engine running, put the rig in 1st gear while holding in the clutch lever. Wheel wants to rotate, as clutch plates are not COMPLETELY disengaged.
Didn't see that mentioned anywhere else...can anyone confirm this is true? Or some other "fool proof" methods of making sure you have the clutch adjusted?

Feels good to be back on Svetlana after way too long being out of commission (me, not the bike).

Can't wait to hear from ya!

Thanks in advance.
2007 Patrol
23000km and climbing

VWK75S
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

Re: Looking for some clutch confirmation...

Post by VWK75S » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:16 am

I think you're good to go.
John
The Ural's made Maine a much bigger state.

2009 GearUp 140,000kms
2007 Retro 20,000kms
1991 VWK75S 110,000miles

hotflash44

Post by hotflash44 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:43 am

OneTraveler wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:25 am
Just replaced throttle cables and clutch cables on my 07 Patrol. After 30K KM, figured my originals had plenty of stretch in them. Not loving the feel of the clutch after the new cable. Checked out all the adjustment threads I could...think I have a good handle on the adjustment, though the concept of "play" both at the handle and the tran is a bit flexible. Thought I had it (still have a pretty health "CHUNK" going in to first, but I've always had that)...thought a great way to test would be to kick it up on the stand and get it in first then pull in clutch. Figured the tire would stop moving.

It didn't. No matter the adjustments I made. Feeling pretty frustrated, I put her to bed for the evening then back to the forums. All adjustments seem right, but then came across and old clutch thread with comment from Jpanyon:
JPanyon wrote:
Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:47 pm
Also, the Ural clutch plates DO NOT completely disengage when you activate the clutch lever. Prove it to yourself. Put the rig on a jack so the pusher wheel is free to rotate. With the engine running, put the rig in 1st gear while holding in the clutch lever. Wheel wants to rotate, as clutch plates are not COMPLETELY disengaged.
Didn't see that mentioned anywhere else...can anyone confirm this is true? Or some other "fool proof" methods of making sure you have the clutch adjusted?

Feels good to be back on Svetlana after way too long being out of commission (me, not the bike).

Can't wait to hear from ya!

Thanks in advance.
you are back to where you were only with new cables, i wouldn't expect the bike to work much differently with just new cables,unless the old ones were stretched so much as to not be able to adjust. i agree with Above your probably good to go. :cheers:
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by Albuquralque » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:25 am

What Jpanyon says is true.
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Darrell - Albuquralque
2014 Patrol - Babe the Blue Ox
EFI Map OR 1.02
Throttle Body Vacuum Ports
K&N Air Filter
Raceway 2-into-1 Header (Right Side)
Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM)

Donbmw

Post by Donbmw » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:48 am

My BMW’s do that also. Touching the wheel and it will stop turning.
Last edited by Donbmw on Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2015 Patrol, 1980 R65, 1982 R65 bought new, 1975 R 90/6, 1959TR3 Triumph

Don

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:33 pm

BMW's and Moto Guzzi, MG in particular virtually identical 2-plate clutch, all spin the back tire if off the floor in neutral, normal.

I set my Ural clutch play for 5 - 8mm at the handlebar lever end like the manual says. I like mine a bit loose so the pull is easier, so gear change can be "clunky" but it doesn't seem to matter much what the play is as far as that goes.

HTH
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta

OneTraveler
Comrade
Comrade

Post by OneTraveler » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:21 pm

I love this forum guys- so much knowledge here. Thanks so much.

I’ll get out there in a little bit and double check everything.

DonBMW- if I rest my foot on it while she’s spinning in first it doesn’t appear to stop , but I’ll try pressing a little harder.

Mr Wazzock- while I’m neutral back tire doesn’t spin...only once in gear.

All great info though...just had never noticed that with the old setup (no need to check it while on the stand).

Cheers all around!
2007 Patrol
23000km and climbing

OneTraveler
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Looking for some clutch confirmation...UPDATE

Post by OneTraveler » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:17 pm

Well, It's official. After installing the new cable, the clutch is not disengaging the transmission (worked fine before, just a pre-emptive cable change). After I double checked my cables, I drop her off the stand and fired her up. Not a problem in neutral...pulled in the clutch lever, dropped into first and off she went until I grabbed a handful of brake and kill switch. Placed back in neutral, tried reverse and back I went (don 't know why I expected anything else). Back in neutral, engine off and I'm able to push her around. Pull in clutch lever, drop into first and while holding in lever still I'm unable to push her.

So where do I look first? Could it be as simple as wrong cable? I ordered from Ural of New England and noticed that my invoice stated "2008 and newer models"...though there was not a year selector at time of purchase. It wasn't the most fun to put on, but it went and I seem to have plenty of adjustment.

Hoping you all can point out the dumb thing I'm overlooking.
2007 Patrol
23000km and climbing

OneTraveler
Comrade
Comrade

Post by OneTraveler » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:01 am

And I've seen this advice a time or two (or at least a mention of it):
n3303j wrote:
Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:38 pm
Remove the little rubber bit on the cable between the cable jacket and the adjuster. That will give you an extra millimeter or so of lever travel. Ask your dealer about getting a new release lever for your transmission. I think the originals were a bit flexy.
My old cable didn't have this little "nub"...the new one does...related?
2007 Patrol
23000km and climbing

jwsparkes
Comrade
Comrade

Post by jwsparkes » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:53 am

What Jpanyon says is not quite true......

The movement of the back wheel when the clutch is pulled in is due to energy being transferred from the flywheel to the clutch drive merely by air turbulence. Because the two are so close together the air acts as a fluid and transfer's energy. The rotational speeds will not be the same, with the clutch side spinning slower than the flywheel. If there was still definite mechanical engagement of the clutch you would not be able to easily stop the wheel rotating with your hand and / or, if you were able to stop it, you would soon smell the friction material overheating from rubbing together.

When the gear box is in neutral the clutch plates will still rotate the gears in the gear box, the output shaft is just disengaged.

OneTraveler
Comrade
Comrade

Post by OneTraveler » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:30 am

That makes more sense to me. Mine was most definitely still engaged...
2007 Patrol
23000km and climbing

VWK75S

Post by VWK75S » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:44 am

At this point I'd compare the old and new cable side by side.

2009 GearUp 140,000kms
2007 Retro 20,000kms
1991 VWK75S 110,000miles

OneTraveler
Comrade
Comrade

Post by OneTraveler » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:54 pm

I plan on that tonight as best I can. This is where I sheepishly admit I was an idiot taking it off. Measured threads exposed etc before I start undoing...as she was old it actually started fraying a bit (I guess it was time, after all)- to speed process up I cut the cable rather than fighting with the tension to undo. Stupid, in hindsight, but I had faith in the correct cable. Silly Me.
2007 Patrol
23000km and climbing

VWK75S

Post by VWK75S » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:08 am

OneTraveler wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:54 pm
I was an idiot cable.
Look at the bright side, this is not a major problem :roll:
John

2009 GearUp 140,000kms
2007 Retro 20,000kms
1991 VWK75S 110,000miles

CrankyTom

Post by CrankyTom » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:56 am

You might want to check the condition of your throw out bearing and clutch pushrod too-if either one of those is defective they could cause your problem.
could be just a coincidence that it showed up now.They're a little more of a PITA to check than the cable but not really all that bad.
Good luck
I'm a Marxist at heart-you can't beat Groucho,Chico,and Harpo!
2012 Patrol T