Rough ride

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
greenside

Rough ride

Post by greenside » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:14 pm

Hi: I have had my 2013 Patrol for a few months. This is my first sidecar so have nothing else to compare to.
I am used to my R1200GS and find that the Ural is really jarring when riding on rough roads. Solid like an old hardtail.
The shocks are set at the 2nd notch. Do I need to change that??
Would the shocks need to be serviced?
The bike has 34,000km.

John
John...
2013 Ural Patrol, black

Niteblues
Commissar
Commissar

Re: Rough ride

Post by Niteblues » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:23 pm

that's...kinda how they roll. but to be certain you might want to compare yours to someone else's.

and if you weigh 140 lbs with full riding gear your opinion of "really jarring" will be different from someone that is 6'5" 240lbs. i guess there's that too...

put your location in your signature. maybe someone on here will want to explore these "rough roads" you speak of. 8)
Scott

2004 Ural Patrol

"You can ride farther in one hour than you can walk in a day"

"Media bias contributes to erosion of the perception of truth." Tanya Marcum

mtrdrms
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

Post by mtrdrms » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:24 pm

I also have a 12gs with ohlins and a 2013 patrol. I am always amazed at the difference. My commute takes me down a bit of unmaintained dirt road and yes, its a jarring, rough ride on the ural.
If I ride the ural for a week, I don't really notice it. But if I switch up often, the difference is very noticeable.

One vote for normal.

Couple things to consider: preload should not (and doesn't for me) effect the ride quality much at all. Ikon is testing a replacement shock for the ural. Not sure how much of the harsh ride is built into the geometry of the machine and how much is the shock itself but we may soon find out.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=49257
- Andy

Everyday. No excuses.
2013 Patrol

Lmo

Post by Lmo » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:21 am

Try it....

I do not believe that those shocks are not service-able. I'm not holding my breath on Ikon's becoming available.
Lew Morris
Dnepr w/ '06 Ural Drive Train
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

1973 BMW R75/5 (original owner)
1947 HD FL (long gone, forever regretful)

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:57 pm

I have an '07 so the older Russian shocks. Thy have been at the highest setting since the day I picked it up, 4 notches. It's doesn't handle suspension-wise like any other bike I own older or newer.
You have more modern shocks on your 2013 but it is set-up light years behind a BMW GS and it's suspension. No comparison.

You don't have your location listed in your signature line. Perhaps someone who lives by you can check it out or you can try theirs to make sure your rigs "normal" really is normal.
Stagewex

2007 Ural Patrol, 2006 Yamaha TW200, 1995 BMW K75, 1991 Honda XR250L, 1969 BMW r60/2 US model

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:12 pm

Mine feel quite hard at notch 1, but it isn't like they're not compressing, cos they are. Only have to prove it by jacking up a wheel. So yeah what you're describing is what I get also. What I hate in particular is rumble strips, we have them on the approach to roundabouts sometimes, they're an audible/vibration warning to slow down and increase in frequency the closer you get to the island, but is like driving on a corrugated iron sheet. :o
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta

hillbillybob
Party Member
Party Member

Post by hillbillybob » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:22 am

I'm going to go with "they all do that". My 06 has only 9,500 km on it.....rides like a buck board. It has since day one, don't believe it will improve as "kilometerage" increases.
Current Rides:
2006 Ural Troyka "Boris" (38/125 out, 40/135 in, much better)
2000 BMW R1200C "Schultz"
1999 BMW R1200C "Dooley"
2011 Chinese 150cc Scooter "Johnny" (14,703 breakdown free miles)

LRP

Post by LRP » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:39 pm

Up until 08, Ural made their own shocks and the springs were considerably softer. The suspension travel is only 3 or 4 inches, unlike
your GS which has at least 3 times that amount of travel so it can be a lot softer in the initial travel. Before I had a hip replaced, I installed
a Harley police seat with barrel springs on my 08 Patrol. It helped take away the jarring when I went on AMA adventure rides.

LRP
Dick
Army Bird Dog Pilot, Nam.
2018 CT
Traded '08 Patrol

19 previous motos

Snakeoil

Post by Snakeoil » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:35 am

Lmo wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:21 am
Try it....

I do not believe that those shocks are not service-able. I'm not holding my breath on Ikon's becoming available.
My communications with Roger indicates that he is 100% committed to bringing an IKON product to market for the Ural. As you have seen with reports so far, finding a one size fits all Urals has been a bit of a challenge. BillyG just completed his testing. And Roger learned a bit more from his testing and fit-up efforts.

I've run into other Ural riders at events who have said they truly want better shocks for their rigs. The market may not be huge, but it's there so I am confident that a product will emerge with the IKON logo.

You have to keep in mind that Roger IS IKON USA. That means he is busier than a one-legged man in an arse-kicking contest. Fulfilling orders, marketing existing products, and just taking care of business probably occupies 25 hours of every day, 8 days a week. The good news is this is not a new product development, but rather a variation on a theme in that he's making a new product line from an existing product with some modifications.

Patience, Grasshopper, patience.
Regards,
Rob
Proud member of the Peanut Gallery
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".

Ironhand
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Ironhand » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:51 pm

Rough is a nice way to describe how mine rides compared to my other bikes. Its all part of their charm. :D
2015 Ural Gear Up
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2008 Honda XR650L
2003 Yamaha FZ1

The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. —Mark Twain

Buckhorn

Post by Buckhorn » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:04 pm

I always set the spring pre-load to a setting as light as possible to keep from bottoming out all the time. Once in a while is OK. This seems to give the best ride on any vehicle with adjustable pre-load.
Don't expect to get a very smooth ride with a Ural.
2013 Ural Gear Up Gobi camo
Raceway 2 into 1 right side high exhaust, with Two Brothers muffler
Dimple drain plugs
Shorty left side directionals
2010 Harley Fat Boy
:)

tgtrotter

Post by tgtrotter » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:26 am

You may assume a rough ride but honestly my '07 rides surprisingly smoothe to me. My monkey swears it's better than our FLH on RRXs, dips, bumps and washboard. Never hear her swear.

For me potholes bring that "hard tail feel" and a cuss word. But having ridden a few and once owned a hardtail, the Ural is not. On washboard road my '07 definitely does not act like any hard tail Ive ridden. Bouncing and bucking forward, jumping sideways demanding throttle, brake/combo or prepared weight shifts.. Not that the Ural doesnt want to do it but there is noticeable absorption to me. My stock stepped bench seat surely doesn't help much in subduing the ride either.

LMO convinced me to setup my shocks at max cause of my weight. It was all around too stiff for me and my street riding so I turned them back to number 2. I perfer that softer ride. Have yet to bottom out, but I'm not jumping the sucker.

You think some of it may be psyche. You buy a $20k bike, it better ride nice. Now Urals getting up there ?
Im pretty sure most of us want to improve or trick our ride. Myself I would entertain a Koni shock just from experience. Others have their brand preference and some happy with the way a Ural naturally feels. My first upgrade will be a much better seat.

Are you comparing apples and oranges. BMW/Ural. 2 wheeler to 3 wheeled hack ?

My gut feeling is I think your ride is fine. Only because you mention that hard tail feeling and shocks do much more than compensate just for that.
:givemebeer:
2007 Woodland Green Patrol :foilhead:
2004 FLTRI :machinegun:
1992 Trek 830 :P