Noisy right cylinder then loss of power

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
LaCabra3
Comrade
Comrade

Noisy right cylinder then loss of power

Post by LaCabra3 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:00 am

Coming home from camping in mountains of Arizona. Hearing a noise from right cylinder that sounded like manifold leak or clicking. Stopped for gas in Phoenix and detected no manifold leak. Temperature around 105 F, I’m hot and tired and want to get home so I decide to chance it and head home the back way off the interstate. About 30 miles later the noise was getting worse, it started loosing power and I pulled over to a dusty field and it died.

I have towing with my Progressive Insurance and used it. I had plenty (8 liters) of water with me found a small bush for shade and started calling. First my wife telling her the situation and that I’d be late, then to road side assistance. Two hours later Ural was on the truck and we were on our way home, a distance of 70 miles.

Moral: when traveling in the desert, always have more water than you think you need, shade (I had a space blanket to rig an awning had I not had a bush), a good towing service, a cell phone and patience.

Question: Any idea on where to start looking for the problem? My guess is an exhaust valve loosened till it would not open. Did not have time to tackle problem today, will get to it some morning before temperature hits 90.
LaCabra3
2010 Patrol
R100/7 BMW

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Re: Noisy right cylinder then loss of power

Post by Albuquralque » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:32 am

First thing is to pull right side valve cover and take a look see. Could be something simple like valve adjustment nut came loose.

Keep us posted.

:lurker:
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Darrell - Albuquralque
2014 Patrol - Babe the Blue Ox
EFI Map OR 1.02
Throttle Body Vacuum Ports
K&N Air Filter
Raceway 2-into-1 Header (Right Side)
Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM)

Wildhorse Cafe
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

Post by Wildhorse Cafe » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:58 pm

Urals are an adventure.
2011 Patrol Higgs Bison Super Collider formally known as the Orange and Silver Pumpkin Coach
2006 Shinny Black, Tourist, Tatyanna

When you set out on your journey to Ithaca
pray the road is long , full of adventure, full of knowledge
not expecting that Ithaca will offer you riches
Ithaca has given you the beautiful voyage

C.P. Cavafy

RC20
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by RC20 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:58 pm

Bummer. Yep, pull the cover and start there. Clicking tapping noise usually a valve issue.
100k estimated cycle driving:

Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Switchgear/ Generators/Fire Pumps/Computer Controlled Building Systems

LaCabra3
Comrade
Comrade

Post by LaCabra3 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:48 pm

Closer inspection revealed the right exhaust manifold gasket was missing. Checked nuts on left side and they were loose too. That explains the noise. I think the loss of power and dying was due to valves on left side closing so they didn’t have any play. I had adjusted both sides to.004” before my trip and the motor ran great for 300 miles. I don’t know why they closed, but I adjusted both sides to .004” again and it ran OK idling except for noise. One of life’s great mysteries. I ordered parts from Ski at TriQuest in California, should be here next week.
LaCabra3
2010 Patrol
R100/7 BMW

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:54 pm

Ta for the update!
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta

T-Bear

Post by T-Bear » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:03 pm

LaCabra3 wrote:Closer inspection revealed the right exhaust manifold gasket was missing. Checked nuts on left side and they were loose too. That explains the noise. I think the loss of power and dying was due to valves on left side closing so they didn’t have any play. I had adjusted both sides to.004” before my trip and the motor ran great for 300 miles. I don’t know why they closed, but I adjusted both sides to .004” again and it ran OK idling except for noise. One of life’s great mysteries. I ordered parts from Ski at TriQuest in California, should be here next week.
Once the engine is cool. Have you gone to TDC (both sides as you alternate) and checked the torque on the head bolts? Don't loosen them. Just check torque (38# I believe - CHECK ME ON THAT). Then do TDC/Rods Spinning on each side to check valves.

Might be a loose or stripped head bolt at case.
NE Oklahoma
Ural Gear Up 2008
Previous Ride: KLR-650

LaCabra3
Comrade
Comrade

Post by LaCabra3 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:51 pm

Sorry to be so long on follow up. I went to the Burning Man (not in Ural.)
The exhaust gasket was corrected and no more noise on left side.
Because of a prior mechanic error (me), I had repaired the right side bracket that holds the cable for the gas with JB Weld. It came loose after a couple of years at the same time the exhaust gasket went. As the rig ran at idle, I didn't notice it was loose until I tried to go for a ride and the engine was still missing on the right side. When I found the problem, I checked with local Kawasaki dealer about the part and it would have cost $45.00 and they wouldn't guarantee it would fit. I called Ski to see if he could order the correct one. He had a used one that he sent me and I sent him some extra parts back that I had ordered and was not going to use. Good trade. It now runs like a champ.
LaCabra3
2010 Patrol
R100/7 BMW