Turn Signal Relay Problems

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
darkhorse
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Turn Signal Relay Problems

Post by darkhorse » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:39 pm

I have been dealing with a few electrical gremlins, one of which was intermittent problems with my turn signals working correctly. The symptoms where slow and dim signals when activated and then they started intermittently not working. I have the old style two connector relay.

To troubleshoot I did the following:

1. Checked for power to the input side of relay which it had.
2. Check for power to the output side of the relay and no power was detected.
3. Checked continuity of wiring from relay to switch and switch to all lights. All checked ok.
4. I jumped the two connectors on the relay and all turn signal bulbs lit up. I think this reconfirmed my positive wiring is okay and proved that I have good grounds all the way around. I suppose I could have started with this step and saved myself some time.

I believe this proves the relay has failed. I was hoping to validate my conclusion with this group. Is anyone aware of anything that I may have missed in diagnosing this?
2001 Ural Deco Classic
PowerArc Ignition
Mikuni VM28 Carburetors
Inertial Supercharger

When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

Eric N
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Re: Turn Signal Relay Problems

Post by Eric N » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:06 pm

Sounds like it failed.

I didn't go to that much trouble when it went out on my 2001 Patrol. I just removed the relay, walked to the auto parts shop a few blocks away, found one kinda sorta similar and installed it. I think the new one was square, but the mounting was close enough to work.

You can order replacement relays, but a new modern LED compliant one's just as cheap and is quick to install.
2018 Gear Up 825cc
2013 Retro Solo
2001 Patrol - Sold

fallalotesq
Comrade
Comrade

Post by fallalotesq » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:32 am

I had the same problem recently on my 2004. I ordered an original style from Russian Garage and before it came in had a chance to talk to Terry Crawford and based on his advise ordered an electronic relay from him. The new electronic one does not have any mounting ears on it but is so small and light I zip tied it in no problem. It works 1000 times better than the original relay and I wish I had done it sooner rather than wasting all the time I did fiddling with it. If you want an original style I can mail one to you if interested.
2004 Ural Troyka (Sidecar Sassy)
1992 Honda Nighthawk 750
2002 Honda CR250

darkhorse
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by darkhorse » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:53 pm

I called Terry Crawford today as well and he offered to order me one but also suggested the I could get one locally. I wound up finding one at Advance Auto that worked. I did the same as you and went with en electronic one. I had to change the connectors as the original relay had the threaded posts with nuts. I also wish I would have done this sooner. The electronic flasher is much faster and brighter.

Thank you for the offer on the original type. I am all squared away with the new electronic one.
2001 Ural Deco Classic
PowerArc Ignition
Mikuni VM28 Carburetors
Inertial Supercharger

darkhorse
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by darkhorse » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:34 pm

In case it helps someone else out, here are some of the details of what I did:

1. I drilled out the rivets on the bracket holding the original flasher relay in place and wire tied the new one to the bracket.
2. I used a Novita EL12 Heavy Duty flasher. I got mine at Advance Auto but I also saw them on Amazon as well.
3. I replaced the loop style connectors on the wires with a universal three wire light bulb socket for a car. You only need two connectors. The spade type connectors on the new relay are perpendicular to each other so I used the connector in the 9 o'clock and 12 o'clock positions. I removed the third wire.
2001 Ural Deco Classic
PowerArc Ignition
Mikuni VM28 Carburetors
Inertial Supercharger

RC20

Post by RC20 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:41 am

A couple of quick checks.

Ohm the coil, either it will be there or not. Value is not critical in this case.

Get a 12 volt power source and power up the coil and watch the contact on the Ohm meter, either they will open and close or not.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems