Kick start lever remove - riding without it

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
jaybird
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov
Location: The foothills of the Forked River Mountains, West Barnegat NJ (Do It In The Pines!) 08005

Re: Kick start lever remove - riding without it

Post by jaybird » Sun May 06, 2018 10:35 pm

phliparoonie wrote:Less fatiguing to use your toe to push down to upshift- no shin splints. Better control in getting the right amount of "stomp" to shift up. IMHO
No offense, but you must have a 24" inseam, my leg just doesn't bend like that. No way I could "stomp" down with my toe on the heel pedal of the shifter with my leg length.

Happy trails,
Jaybird
2005 Gear-Up, Mr. Nat_ural 108,000+ Kilometers and counting
2013 Retro, Black beauty, AKA Lucky "13"
1995 Olive Tourist
1975 Enfield Diesel Bullet
2008 Enfield Bullet 500
1974 BMW R 75/6
Etc.

phliparoonie
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by phliparoonie » Mon May 07, 2018 8:15 am

LOL. Nope still wearing 33/32's. Maybe a Tourist is set up differently.
It is important to keep an open mind. But not so much that your brain falls out. Carl Sagan
I am old, but I'm happy. Cat Stevens
It's a tractor, not a Ferrari. Holopaw Gene

2004 Tourist "Charlie" 25,036 km - 18/04/24
stock: pipes, carbs, airbox, fuel petcock, tractor seat
new/add: windscreen,hack headlight,4 head stud holes,pistons,rings,starter,FD splined hub,clutch actuator bearing, clutch arm,donut,drive shaft,Ducati ignition,tank xover dscnect

flexydude
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by flexydude » Mon May 07, 2018 12:13 pm

the first mod i did was to cut off the kickstart lever, got tired of it grinding into the back of my leg. I boxed in the cut end and now i can just slip it on and off when needed
2013 gear up
2014 zero ds
2016 klr 650

2013 suzuki gw 250
2007 drz 400
2014 yamaha xt 250

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Mon May 07, 2018 12:38 pm

phliparoonie wrote:LOL. Nope still wearing 33/32's. Maybe a Tourist is set up differently.
More like we are all set up differently. I have a 34" inseam, and size 9 feet, I never contact the kick start on either of my rigs while riding, or shifting. I can upshift with either my heel or toe without issue, although I normally use my heel.

I thought the OP's post was odd until others stated they have the same issue, it simply never occurred to me as it isn't an issue for me, it takes unnatural contortions for me to contact the kick starter while seated. Back in the 80's I had a Sportster, and hated it because the air cleaner caught me in just the wrong place on my knee.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70