Things I learned during my first tire change.

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
greybear
Party Member
Party Member

Things I learned during my first tire change.

Post by greybear » Mon May 15, 2017 1:25 pm

1; Workplace matters. I tried wrestling the tire on the floor, I tried wrestling on a bucket. The tire won both matches. Then I placed the tire on the sidecar spare tire rack. This proved to be just the correct height to break down the tire.

2: Tools matter. I was having trouble breaking the bead. Happened to be in Harbor Freight looking for something else and saw a 12" deep c-clamp with a 5" opening (45919). <$10 and worked great to break the bead. I tried one of the smaller tire irons which look like a modified screwdriver. No joy. Then I hit myself up the back of the head because the company I work for manufactures and sells tire repair products. I borrowed a pair of Ken-Tool 32109s from the training shop.They are only 9" long but have just the correct bend to coax the bead off the rim. Bead Breaker also helps.

3: There is a reason some instruction say to start breaking the bead 180 degrees from the valve stem. I didn't on the first one and damaged the tube at the base of the stem.

4: A small bronze toothbrush works great for removing minor rust from inside the wheel.

5: Dish soap and water can help lubricate things up very nicely. A little too nicely. I added disposable nitrile gloves to my tool kit.

6: Tire Talc or baby powder helps lubricate the assembled wheel inside. However try and get as much of the dish soap mix out BEFORE you add the powder.

About 1/3rd of the way through I thought maybe I should have paid the local bike shop to install the tires. However I figured this was something I needed to learn and I wanted to lube the bearings anyway. So once I had the side car wheel and the spare off for bearings changing the tires myself seemed logical.
Last edited by greybear on Mon May 15, 2017 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snakeoil
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Re: Things I learned during my first tire change.

Post by Snakeoil » Mon May 15, 2017 1:46 pm

Horror Fright sells tire irons that are pretty nice.

https://www.harborfreight.com/catalogse ... tire+irons

For $6/each, get at least 3. They are 24 inches long. If you need a bigger tire iron than that, you are doing something wrong. :wink:
Regards,
Rob
Proud member of the Peanut Gallery
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".

Lokiboy
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by Lokiboy » Mon May 15, 2017 2:01 pm

Another thing you didn't mention, but probably had to is to continually break the bead on both sides of the tire. If you do, then you'll only have to struggle with the last 1/2 inch or so (applies to Duro 308s)
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
100,000 km and counting

greybear
Party Member
Party Member

Post by greybear » Mon May 15, 2017 2:16 pm

After surfing the web for suggestions I used the "Dunlop" method. After changing many car type tube tires this seemed odd but worked well.

Bilgekeeldave
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Bilgekeeldave » Mon May 15, 2017 2:38 pm

Huh, I've been using the Dunlop method for years and didn't know it!
Dave

RAMCO-Dnepr MT-16

Lmo

Post by Lmo » Mon May 15, 2017 4:18 pm

For $6/each, get at least 3. They are 24 inches long. If you need a bigger tire iron than that, you are doing something wrong.
The only thing I found "wrong" about them is that they're too long! Save yourself $6. Buy one and cut it in half. :wink:

edit. And while you're in town, stop by a bike shop and buy a "bead buddy" to hold that bead down while you work around the rim
Lew Morris
Dnepr w/ '06 Ural Drive Train
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

1973 BMW R75/5 (original owner)
1947 HD FL (long gone, forever regretful)

Dr Z
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Dr Z » Mon May 15, 2017 4:44 pm

I'm cheap. But the $10 they charge me at the jiffy lube seems like a deal to change out a tire on the rim
Dr Z
Former owner of LARA a 2010 Black Patrol
Designer of the soon to be world famous Ural Triple Shifter

Snakeoil
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Snakeoil » Mon May 15, 2017 5:02 pm

Bilgekeeldave wrote:Huh, I've been using the Dunlop method for years and didn't know it!
:cheers: Me, too for the most part. Only recently moved to the No-Mar bar method.

I have always used a clamp to hold the tire in towards the center. One of these days I need to make or buy a Bead-buddy.

Brake rotor makes the process easier. I've also never taken both sides of the tire off the same side of the rim. The second side is always so easy, I'm not sure one way is better than the next.

One of these days I want to try the zip tie method on a Duro or similar stiff sidewall tire. Plenty of vids on YouTube if you are curious about it.
Regards,
Rob
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains

greybear
Party Member
Party Member

Post by greybear » Mon May 15, 2017 8:36 pm

If I could have had the tire changed for $10 I'd have paid the price. Here only bike shops are willing to tackle bike tires. They typically charge $25 for tires bought there and $35 for tires you bring in. So for $70 for mounting two tires I decided this was a good time to learn the process. I've still to pack the bearings, any tips on that?

Bilgekeeldave
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Bilgekeeldave » Mon May 15, 2017 9:37 pm

greybear wrote:I've still to pack the bearings, any tips on that?
Put a glob of grease in the palm of your hand and holding the bearing in your other hand, push the side of the bearing into the grease until it squeezes through the bearing. Turn the bearing a little and squeeze the grease through the next section of bearing, continue until you have gone all around the bearing and filled it with grease. It is most important to get the grease inside of the bearing, not all over the outside.
Dave

RAMCO-Dnepr MT-16

Dr Z
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Dr Z » Mon May 15, 2017 9:50 pm

greybear wrote:If I could have had the tire changed for $10 I'd have paid the price. Here only bike shops are willing to tackle bike tires. They typically charge $25 for tires bought there and $35 for tires you bring in. So for $70 for mounting two tires I decided this was a good time to learn the process. I've still to pack the bearings, any tips on that?

I bought a tire changer thing from HF Even have adapter for mc tires. But never tried it. Guys at the jiffy lube (boss and asst). Cut me slack on inspections etc cause I always tip em $10 to $20. I think they do work for me off the books and pocket tire changing money. I don't care. Works for me. Unless I have somebody who will cut me some slack on annual safety inspections I'd have to tow the ural and samurai back and forth to Canada every year. If ur vehicle "breaks down" outta state when inspection due u can get a one year waiver
Dr Z

Dr Z
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Dr Z » Mon May 15, 2017 9:56 pm

Lots of videos on line. Search packing bearings by hand. Or. Greasing bearings by hand
Dr Z

greybear
Party Member
Party Member

Post by greybear » Tue May 16, 2017 5:12 am

I have a bearing packer that I've used for decades on trailer and camper bearings. So I was thinking more along the lines of disassembly and reassembly of the DNEPR bearing pack.

Roadking
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Roadking » Thu May 18, 2017 5:00 pm

good product called RU Glide helps getting the tire to slip on very easily. It's slippery at first, but gets sticky when it dries, so the tire slips on nicely, but the tube won't spin once it's dry. Napa sells it.
2014 Ural Sage Green Gear Up (The Crazy Russian)
2001 HD Roadking FLHRI

Never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Then he'll be a mile away and he'll have no shoes.

Snakeoil
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Snakeoil » Thu May 18, 2017 8:19 pm

First, clean the bearing in clean solvent. I actually use two or three different containers of solvent. First to get the majority of the old grease off. Second to get it cleaner and third (usually in a white container to see any dirt) to make it squeaky clean. Then blow it dry with compressed air. DO NOT SPIN THE BEARING WITH COMPRESSED AIR!!

With it clean, packing the bearing is a piece of cake. Put the bearin in your hand and put a glob of grease in there. Now just squeeze the bearing in you hand smoosh the grease into it. Turn it occasionally, squeegee the grease off your hand with a clean finger and put it back into the bearing and squeeze some more. If you wear surgical gloves, you just strip the glove off when it is packed and do the assembly. Much easier than wiping the grease off you hand.

Grease all the surfaces inside the hub to prevent rust.

That's all there is to it.
Regards,
Rob
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains