Torque Wrench you like

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
HAPBOB

Torque Wrench you like

Post by HAPBOB » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:01 am

As a new owner of an Ural seems a torque wrench in the tool box is now a necessity. I have a couple old ones never used but I wonder what you suggest for the URAL type maintenance. I see them from $25 to $300 on Ebay or just go to local sears ? Digital, Beam or click style?
Hap
In the Garage
2015 Honda Cb500x
2014 Harley Triglide
2004 Ural Patrol ( named "the URAL" )

brianural
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: Torque Wrench you like

Post by brianural » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:23 am

I use a click style harbor freight one (Pittsburgh manufacturer). If I were to switch I think I would spend the extra dough on a digital one.
2011 HD RGU
2003 Honda VTX1800 - sold
2005 Honda VTX1300 - sold
Bunch of other metric bikes for last 45 years
"1966 titled" Dnepr MT-11 (reality is a 80-90's)
1956 IMZ M72 bought in pieces, working on build
1967 KMZ MB-750

Ltrypsin
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Ltrypsin » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:50 am

I am not a fan of Harbor freight but..... My nephew is an aviation mechanic and they calibrate their Torque wrenches routinely . He has a Harbor Freight torque wrench and it holds it setting as well if not better then the more expensive wrenches.
2015 cT

Ironhand
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Ironhand » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:39 am

I have a few nice Snap Ons and a "cheap" Neiko. Honestly, both get the job done just fine.
2015 Ural Gear Up
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2003 Yamaha FZ1

The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. —Mark Twain

Lee Pape

Post by Lee Pape » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:13 am

Who uses a torque wrench. The only thing I have ever used a torque wrench on the Ural is for just checking the toe torque on the heads. And II NEVER back the nut off and retorque them. I just check to make sure they haven't loosened up once a year or two. If you think that you need to back the nut off and retorque the heads studs then we will see you posting after a while "My head stud pulled out, now what do I do?". If you over torque (more then 38 ft/pounds) or loosen and retorque sooner or later you will pull a head stud or more. I know some of the manuals have higher torque listing for the heads but DO NOT go above 38 ft/pounds. Thie had been discussed on here many times and IMWA did change the manual after many years to a lower value. Older manuals would list 42 ft/pounds for head torque.
We may not have it all together,
But, together we have it all.

2007 Tourist "The un-named-one"
Riding and working on Urals since 2000.

Lee Pape

Post by Lee Pape » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:16 am

HAPBOB wrote:As a new owner of an Ural seems a torque wrench in the tool box is now a necessity. I have a couple old ones never used but I wonder what you suggest for the URAL type maintenance. I see them from $25 to $300 on Ebay or just go to local sears ? Digital, Beam or click style?
Hap
On your 2004 they were still using some old Russian fasteners. DO NOT try and torque these as you will strip the threads off.
We may not have it all together,
But, together we have it all.

2007 Tourist "The un-named-one"
Riding and working on Urals since 2000.

hotflash44

Post by hotflash44 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:41 am

Your right 36.9ft lbs or 50 nm thats it , go over at your own risk .
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

Navy TM
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Navy TM » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:44 am

I had purchased a digital 3/8" drive Torque wrench from sears, a craftsman model. I used it twice, at the third attempt to use it the digital display failed.It had been stored in a protective case with batteries removed. I contacted sears for a repair estimate and the cost to repair was almost as much as the original selling price. I then purchased a Harbor Freight 3/8" drive for $12.00 on sale. I have used this wrench for over four years now with no ill effects. I only use it when putting steel fasteners into aluminum such as head, oil pan, final drive,etc. As always this is my opinion yours may differ. :cheers:
Mike :old:
2011 Ural Patrol (Orange/Silver) (Veronika)
2011 Ural Tourist Red (Valya)
2004 Custom w/S&S 93CI Shovelhead Motor ( I built this one) Given to a friend
1974 Harley FXE Given to Daughter
1991 ATK 406 Donated to New England Motorcycle Museum
1989 Atk 406 Donated to New England Motorcycle Museum

chaos2
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by chaos2 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:50 am

I have an old sears beam wrench that served me well for many years. I bought the $10 HF 3/8" one 5 years ago and it is a very good item. I back the settings down to zero after each use.
Past afflictions include limey motocars and bikes, R60/2, R65ls, & a Citroen.
Now a DB Haanjo and Canyon CF SL Endurace, '87 K75s,
and a rusty 2012 GU bought new
dual K&N cones on homemade intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles, Modtop exhaust, E starter delete
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

OHScot
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by OHScot » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:13 am

Lee Pape wrote:Who uses a torque wrench. The only thing I have ever used a torque wrench on the Ural is for just checking the toe torque on the heads. And II NEVER back the nut off and retorque them. I just check to make sure they haven't loosened up once a year or two. If you think that you need to back the nut off and retorque the heads studs then we will see you posting after a while "My head stud pulled out, now what do I do?". If you over torque (more then 38 ft/pounds) or loosen and retorque sooner or later you will pull a head stud or more. I know some of the manuals have higher torque listing for the heads but DO NOT go above 38 ft/pounds. Thie had been discussed on here many times and IMWA did change the manual after many years to a lower value. Older manuals would list 42 ft/pounds for head torque.
This is my thinking also. It is pretty simple to figure out much to tighten stuff. 2ft lever how many pounds of force type of thing. Only time I loosen a head bolt is on tear down.

For the record I have a lot of torque wrenches when you are pulling on them best to keep in mind how much weight and how long a lever. The clicker type have messed up a lot of people. The spring bar type have left a lot of stuff loose.

Always tighten just till the thing snaps off and back off about 3/4 of a turn then you know the exact torque limit. :boogie:
No bugs on the screen in winter.

chaos2
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by chaos2 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:00 am

I remember this coming up over on the BMWMOA forum. The rolling-in-$$ tool snobs over there insisted anything less than $500 Deutsche made torque wrenches would destroy you precious lugs nuts and send you to a fiery death. Mentioning HF nearly got me banned :lol:
Past afflictions include limey motocars and bikes, R60/2, R65ls, & a Citroen.
Now a DB Haanjo and Canyon CF SL Endurace, '87 K75s,
and a rusty 2012 GU bought new
dual K&N cones on homemade intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles, Modtop exhaust, E starter delete
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

Wildhorse Cafe

Post by Wildhorse Cafe » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:40 am

Harbor Freight is good enough if you are not a professional.
2011 Patrol, The Higgs Bison Super Collider, formally known as, the Orange and Silver Pumpkin Coach.

2013 Black Retro, Chernaya Krasota, formally known as, my name is nobody.

When you set out on your journey to Ithaca
pray the road is long , full of adventure, full of knowledge
not expecting that Ithaca will offer you riches
Ithaca has given you the beautiful voyage

C.P. Cavafy

Tin Man
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tin Man » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:39 pm

Been thinking bout replacing my (very) old one for one of the newer click style's. Any down-side to those? :lurker:
Mike
2007 GearUp (Arctic #1)
130/45 jets, KTM rock solid mirrors, Delaware Dave's outstanding trunk lock, Mr. Cob's most excellent skid plate, Cycra Probend smashproof hand guards, Duro strong like bull 307's, RotoPax damn near bulletproof fuel cans, MKIII all but water proof air box and Dimples super duper magnetic drain plugs all around...oh yeah, and a manual fuel petcock.

.........if you see something that needs doing, just do it........

hotflash44

Post by hotflash44 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:44 pm

Only down side to any torque wrench is the accuracy. The beam type is probably the best at keeping the accuracy but, they can be hard to read in some circumstances. Thats where the digital or click type is good. If mistreated dropped used as a ratchet or other misuse it can become unreliable. Two choices in my opinion buy a high priced wrench that is tested at the factory and be confident its accurate , or get the cheaper ebay/harbor frieght type i happen to use the cheaper ones myself. I bought a digital torque attachment tool that will convert any wrench to a torque wrench or in my case i use it to double check the accuracy of my cheap wrenches. and they are very accurate .
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

Tin Man
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tin Man » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:15 pm

hotflash44 wrote: I bought a digital torque attachment tool that will convert any wrench to a torque wrench or in my case i use it to double check the accuracy of my cheap wrenches. and they are very accurate .
Got a link?
Mike
2007 GearUp (Arctic #1)
130/45 jets, KTM rock solid mirrors, Delaware Dave's outstanding trunk lock, Mr. Cob's most excellent skid plate, Cycra Probend smashproof hand guards, Duro strong like bull 307's, RotoPax damn near bulletproof fuel cans, MKIII all but water proof air box and Dimples super duper magnetic drain plugs all around...oh yeah, and a manual fuel petcock.

.........if you see something that needs doing, just do it........