04 steering head bearing replacement

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
phliparoonie
Comrade General
Comrade General

04 steering head bearing replacement

Post by phliparoonie » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:42 pm

Went for our first ride of the year today! 62 in Wisconsin in February! Bike ran great after all the sorting out with ignition, etc. last year. I did notice a little shimmying in the front end. Stopped by a friend's and we both noticed the Duro on the front was cupped pretty good. I have struggled with tightening these bearings over the years and threatened to put in tapered bearings "one of these days". That day is apparently here.

I reviewed our site and got the cross-check info for the right tapered bearings. I ordered a set of BMW/2 bearings from the site recommended (http://www.cycleworks.net/) and ordered it for $40 shipped. Upon further review of the topics here, I see that these older type /2 BMW bearings may not come with a dust seal. Is that so? Should I cancel the order??

Anyway, here's proof of the ride. Couldn't get The Monkey to quit grinning so big. :D
first ride_170222.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is important to keep an open mind. But not so much that your brain falls out. Carl Sagan
I am old, but I'm happy. Cat Stevens
It's a tractor, not a Ferrari. Holopaw Gene

2004 Tourist "Charlie" 25,036 km - 18/04/24
stock: pipes, carbs, airbox, fuel petcock, tractor seat
new/add: windscreen,hack headlight,4 head stud holes,pistons,rings,starter,FD splined hub,clutch actuator bearing, clutch arm,donut,drive shaft,Ducati ignition,tank xover dscnect

Lee Pape
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: 04 steering head bearing replacement

Post by Lee Pape » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:27 am

This is what Terry Crawford sells. Note no dust seals.
http://www.crawfordsales.info/?page_id=36
We may not have it all together,
But, together we have it all.

2007 Tourist "The un-named-one"
Riding and working on Urals since 2000.

phliparoonie
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by phliparoonie » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:09 am

Thanks Lee.
It is important to keep an open mind. But not so much that your brain falls out. Carl Sagan

new/add: windscreen,hack headlight,4 head stud holes,pistons,rings,starter,FD splined hub,clutch actuator bearing, clutch arm,donut,drive shaft,Ducati ignition,tank xover dscnect

phliparoonie
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by phliparoonie » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:25 pm

I looked through the H'n & W'n section, but I don't see any how-to's on replacing the steering head bearings for older (pre-08) Urals. Do I need to remove the fork (hope not) from the bike? Just remove the dampner, expose the top and punch out the ball bearing races? Tapers towards the ends or towards each other? Do the new taper bearings affect the function of the dampner?

Thanks for any direction.

rivers

Post by rivers » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:51 pm

Yeah you gotta remove the forks. Theres an upper and lower race in the neck that needs removing.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

Lmo

Post by Lmo » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:44 pm

Take a look, courtesy of Mr. Gobium...

Or, maybe, if you're lucky (like I was) the race will pop right out, they were not that tight in the steering head tube. The lower race on the stem might be as loose as mine were too. Explore a little bit with a flat chisel and see if you can get it off without destroying the metal "dust shield".
Lew Morris
Dnepr w/ '06 Ural Drive Train
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

1973 BMW R75/5 (original owner)
1947 HD FL (long gone, forever regretful)

phliparoonie
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by phliparoonie » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:00 am

I started the process of replacing the steering head bearings by removing all the "in the way" stuff before pulling the forks. When I took out the steering dampner, I noticed the condition of the stem...bent. Is this good, bad or indifferent?
12_bent dampner stem.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Daytripper

Post by Daytripper » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:19 am

:puzzled:
:fart:
Mike
2014 Gear Up Мила (Mila)

:moto:

Lmo

Post by Lmo » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:03 pm

Bent can't be good.. .. . hard tellin' from you photo tho... .

edit, I think I've got a lower triple clamp at the shop, somewhere, if you need it. NO wait.. .. you said steering DAMPER. Most don't work with a rat's tuckus anyway... "Indifferent".
Lew Morris
Dnepr w/ '06 Ural Drive Train
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

1973 BMW R75/5 (original owner)
1947 HD FL (long gone, forever regretful)