Oil leak from center nut on valve cover

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
redtails
Comrade General
Comrade General

Oil leak from center nut on valve cover

Post by redtails » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:32 pm

Ever since my last valve adjustment where I tore the OEM gasket, I've been dealing with leaky replacement valve cover gaskets. Until I broke down and bought the black silicone valve cover gaskets. Nary a leak to found around the entire valve cover on both sides, couldn't be more pleased. :D

However, I've noticed that a leak has developed from the center hole on the valve cover, underneath the washer. Yes, it's a new washer. Fortunately, it's only on the left side and the leak is not very bad. I've never had oil seep from this location and I suspect it's partially due to the light torque required for the silicone gaskets. (4.5-5 Nm)

Anyone have any experience with fixing this issue?

Thanks!
- Jon
2014 Patrol Red/White "Uranus"

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Re: Oil leak from center nut on valve cover

Post by gobium » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:07 pm

JPanyon
Comrade General
Comrade General

Re: Oil leak from center nut on valve cover

Post by JPanyon » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:42 am

Very nice tip Van, thank you.
John Panyon,,,Biking since 1961 on wheels left behind but never forgotten
1948 Indian Chief, 1954 Harley Police Special, 1965 BSA Rocket Lightning, 1972 BMW R75 /5, 1975 Norton Commando, 1977 BMW R100 /7 with "Unobtanium" accessories

2002 Ural BC 1st year 750, my unofficial pickup truck for delivering groceries to the disabled.
My Hack Monkey, (rescued from an Animal Shelter).... https://youtu.be/p7pC38IvvoM