Ignition Switch - non-OEM Alternates?

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
Lmo
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Ignition Switch - non-OEM Alternates?

Post by Lmo » Sun May 08, 2016 2:04 pm

This is a spin off of my Ignition Switch - Failure Mode thread.

I'd like to replace my OEM Ural ignition switch with a "universal" type switch from an auto or marine parts outlet. For $45 there must be a better "equivalent" out there. Maybe marine grade for weather-proofness (?)

3-position (off/on/ignition), or 4-position (accessories/off/on/ignition) is what I'd like to hear about.

Has anyone else been this route? Can you name names with part numbers, manufacturers, etc?

The stakes on two of the terminals are loose (#2 & #6) and allow the terminal to rotate slightly. I don't know if this is what's causing my intermittent ignition loss, but it's certainly worrisome, not to mention a destroyer of confidence in heading out on the open road.

Ural
ImageImage

For example, this Evinrude part retails for about $20
Lew Morris
Dnepr w/ '06 Ural Drive Train
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

1973 BMW R75/5 (original owner)
1947 HD FL (long gone, forever regretful)

jaybird
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov
Location: The foothills of the Forked River Mountains, West Barnegat NJ (Do It In The Pines!) 08005

Re: Ignition Switch - non-OEM Alternates

Post by jaybird » Sun May 08, 2016 2:15 pm

Hi Lew,
That Evinrude switch looks like a good replacement.
In the short term, have you tried to solder the terminals on your old switch? What have you got to lose?

Happy trails,
Jaybird
2005 Gear-Up, Mr. Nat_ural 108,000+ Kilometers and counting
2013 Retro, Black beauty, AKA Lucky "13"
1995 Olive Tourist
1975 Enfield Diesel Bullet
2008 Enfield Bullet 500
1974 BMW R 75/6
Etc.

Lmo

Re: Ignition Switch - non-OEM Alternates?

Post by Lmo » Sun May 08, 2016 3:17 pm

Nothing to solder to Jaybird. The terminals are already soldered to their stakes (the cross-hatch copper studs in the photo above), but the stakes are loose in the switch housing. Can't imagine that being a good thing.
Lew Morris
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

dneprlover
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by dneprlover » Sun May 08, 2016 3:30 pm

Those switches are quite easy to dismantle and repair if one is careful. Lever out the 3 case crimps and have a look inside. The plastic insulator is registered so it only goes back one way. When taking apart, hold the switch with the key downwards and the springs won't jump out of their holes. Tighten up the rivets and lube the switch, then stake it back together. I've never seen one where the terminals were soldered to the rivets OE from the factory. Just lightly tightening the rivets will restore electrical contact.

A very easy and simple repair.
Neval BMW/MT11 800cc hybrid, Neval 2wd MT10-36, Neval standard MT10-36, Neval MT16, another MT11, BMW/MB650 hybrid , K750m , MB750 and a standard MT10-36 outfit + 2 large sheds full of spares for them.

Lmo

Post by Lmo » Sun May 08, 2016 7:59 pm

Funny you posted this, it's exactly what I did this afternoon...

The rivets still allow the terminal "spade" to rotate a bit, but contact internally is good. As you mentioned, there is a indexing lug on the body (mine was almost obliterated), and the internal "rotor" is symmetric so you can't get it on backwards.

I'll pass on a trick I learned from an old mechanic; when you tear into an assembly that you're not familiar with, especially one that is likely to have springs and tiny bits inclined to launch themselves across the room, use one of those flimsy "dry-cleaner" bags to disassemble the device inside. The plastic is so thin that it doesn't impose any limitation on vision or movement, and it's thick enough to capture anything that flies out.

Remember what I've got, a Dnural; the switch was probably soldered by the PO. The heat may have been what loosened the fit of the rivets for all I know.

I should have taken photos of the tear-down/rebuild.
Lew Morris
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

INSUBORDINATOR
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by INSUBORDINATOR » Mon May 09, 2016 2:52 pm

I'm doing fine with a 3 terminal US made switch that was already on the bike in under 3000 miles of new (saying something about OEM switches) There is also a big factory on/off main switch under the seat. My ignition switch is OFF straight up & on both ways - one in stealth mode with NO LIGHTS. Pretty weird, James Bond must have used it. Works fine, so I haven't changed it, might come in handy.
Current Motorcycles: Improved 2002 Ural Tourist.

"Be who you are & say what you feel. Those that matter won't mind, those that mind - don't matter."

Lmo

Post by Lmo » Tue May 10, 2016 10:14 am

Metal or plastic switch body?
Lew Morris
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

Bural
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Bural » Tue May 10, 2016 10:31 am

Those switches were dirt cheap last time I bought one. $11-15. Holopaw Gene has them. Voodoo mechanics, put an extra one in the trunk, and you never need one again.
Richard & Jan
1996 Ural Tourist R90 sold
Dnepr MT 16 R80 A work in progress
BMW R90/Dnepr Project (The Beepr)

Lmo

Post by Lmo » Tue May 10, 2016 12:51 pm

Thanks for chiming in Richard. I ordered two about a hour ago; the OMC waterproof marine grade version; $15 a piece. My Dnurl was rigged with a Ural switch and a separate push-button start switch. It'll be nice to be able to simply "key start" the engine. But truth be known ... the Ural engine kick starts much, much, easier than my '73 R75/5.
Lew Morris
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

INSUBORDINATOR
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by INSUBORDINATOR » Thu May 19, 2016 6:50 pm

Lmo wrote:Metal or plastic switch body?
POT METAL

"Be who you are & say what you feel. Those that matter won't mind, those that mind - don't matter."

INSUBORDINATOR
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by INSUBORDINATOR » Thu May 19, 2016 6:53 pm

Lmo wrote: But truth be known ... the Ural engine kick starts much, much, easier than my '73 R75/5.
That's sure the truth. The BMW /2s were much easier to start - like the Ural. When my old /2 was hot I could start it by hand.

Lmo

Post by Lmo » Fri May 20, 2016 1:57 pm

I've seen that before! I had "crickets" in my starter relay, so starting it was a PITA for some time. I finally got fed up with it and bought a used relay to modify. After I got it opened up it's PO had already done the modification! No more crickets, total instant starts from then on. Short of the main switch being secured into the headlight nacelle by bending over little, fragile, metal tabs, the kicker has to be the main "fail" on the bike. IMHO.

But as funky as that old bakelite board switch assembly is, it's never failed me, and it's serviceable. I was actually contemplating buying an old Ural/Dnepr switch, refurbing it, and installing it in my headlight.

But I digress.
Lew Morris
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

RevBilly666

Post by RevBilly666 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:55 pm

Did you try the Evinrude switch? If it worked for you, please share the part number!

I'm looking for a non-OEM replacement for my flaky Ural switch as well. It would be nice if it doesn't require surgery to wiring or housing...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

JPanyon
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by JPanyon » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:34 am

I just found/fixed intermittent ignition troubles. Thought it was the 14 yr old ignition switch, but wasn't. It was the ground connection path between frame and battery negative post. There is a master disconnect switch on my yr/model, in that path, hidden underneath the seat base plate and behind the left side cover. The connectors on the switch had become just corroded enough to let the fastener nuts work themselves loose. Burnishing all the switch's electrical connection hardware with a brass wire wheel brush and installing paint-cutting star washers restored healthy operation. Then I coated the connections with grease to allow me another 14 years of operation. Hope your fix is as easy as mine was.
John Panyon,,,Biking since 1961 on wheels left behind but never forgotten
1948 Indian Chief, 1954 Harley Police Special, 1965 BSA Rocket Lightning, 1972 BMW R75 /5, 1975 Norton Commando, 1977 BMW R100 /7 with "Unobtanium" accessories

2002 Ural BC 1st year 750, my unofficial pickup truck for delivering groceries to the disabled.
My Hack Monkey, (rescued from an Animal Shelter).... https://youtu.be/p7pC38IvvoM

Lmo

Post by Lmo » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:57 am

These are all basically the same 3-position marine grade switch as the Evinrude; find them on-line or at a marine supply store. Can't comment on the housing surgery (I mounted mine in a custom enclosure under the seat) or the wiring harness mods required (I completely rewired the Dnepr).

Be aware that all of these switches use screw-terminals vs. slip on spades

Sea Choice 11651 (the one I used)
Sea Dog 420382
Sierra 39760
OMC 21681
Pollack 31-297 (metal body)
Lew Morris
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims