Broken Swingarm

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
hotflash44
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Re: Broken Swingarm

Post by hotflash44 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:16 pm

yeah, and they are hard on wheel bearings! lol
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

jwaller
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by jwaller » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:24 pm

My 2014 broke its swing arm right at that gusset two weeks ago tomorrow. The replacement swing arm sent by Ural doesn't have that gusset. We'll see how it works.
2014 Ural Patrol
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

These are the good times, there's no looking back
jwaller is loving life, on his shiny red Ural hack.
Rolling through the hill country, one hand on the throttle .
It moves about as fast as ketchup flowing from the bottle.
Ketchup. Ketchup.
:boogie:

hawksbe
Party Member
Party Member

Post by hawksbe » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:42 pm

I looked at my 2016 and there is no gusset. So - the gusset has been removed? It's a contributor to the cracks? Or it's a random thing as to whether it is gusseted or not?
2016 Ural Gear Up (Sahara)
2012 Concours 14
2012 Triumph Scrambler

Northern VA

BinDerSmokDat
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:35 pm

gobium wrote:Serious.
I dont how the big and tall guy ride these ural without modification. Ural is a cramp bike.
I m 5.11. 155# all muscle! I feel cramp!
I'm 6'6", 290 and dropping.
I cannot ride a Ural with a solo seat, raised or not.
Seriously , I jumped on someone's bike to move it off a trail once and could barely ride it.
I can ride a Ural with the old stepped bench seat only a short distance.
I had a Rich Maumd Road Sofa and when that seat pan cracked, I immediately bought a Ural Enduro seat.
The Enduro is the best seat, but only because it lacks the step built into the old metal Ural seat pans.
Ideally when my Enduro seat gets trashed, I will beg Rich Maund to build a new Road Sofa on the pan.

My natural riding position puts my tailbone about 4" behind where the solo seat ends.
I'm also uncomfortable with stock Ural pegs, I use the Raceway Engine Guard/Left Footbox.
On the right my foot rides on hack frame when not covering the rear brake in traffic.

So that is how "normal sized" 'Muricans manage to ride Urals.

hotflash44
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by hotflash44 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:30 am

Makes me glad to be 5ft 8, I visualize you on a Ural like i see myself on a 3 year old child's tricycle. glad the Enduro seat helps you get comfortable.
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

Snakeoil
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Snakeoil » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:46 am

I don't think that gusset did squat other than perhaps provide more focus of the force at the breaking point. The gusset ends at the fracture point. So, in a bending condition, it is actually pulling down at that point, not supporting it. The gusset would have to extend further down the tube towards the engine to provide any additional strength.

I don't believe there are any 1WD failures. Am I correct or did I miss them in the 6 pages of responses? If that is a correct statement, then it begs the question why? What is the difference between 2WD and 1WD. Is there an added force because of no differential? Are the swingarms made from the same basic swingarm assembly and the only difference being the type of FD lug that is welded on?

There should be no difference in forces on that spot from the rear wheel or FD type. The force is no further away on the 2WD units which would increase the moment arm. Is the tortional load from the combination of rear wheel and hack wheel being driven resulting in more of a bending force on the swingarm? I would not think so because the total force is limited by the torque of the engine.

I'm sticking with my initial theory that this is a material thing and the tubing is not up to the job.

Perhaps a fix would be to split a tube that would slip over the existing tubing and weld it over the failure area. This would spread the load out. As you move further from the end of the lug and towards the engine, the swingarm tubing sees less of the force.

I've attached a diagram to illustrate what I think is going on here.
Ural Swing Arm Failure1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rob
Proud member of the Peanut Gallery
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".

sasha_j
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by sasha_j » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:24 pm

Seems like a good analysis. All the failures I've seen have ben 2WD.
Sasha J

http://www.laura-n-sasha.com
2014 Ural Gear Up, Sage Green, expertly dialed in by UNIQUE RIDES in Fort Collins, Colorado
Full Time RV'er with late-model wife

Tpex
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Tpex » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:13 pm

To bring this thread back. So the consensus is that the added gusset is causing a new stress point for breaks?

Does the latest design (for pre FI rigs) no longer have the gusset?

I'm asking because the new one I just ordered has the gusset.

Thanks, I look forward to your replies. :cheers:

Tpex
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Tpex » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:23 pm

mr. cob wrote:Howdy All,

This is the swing arm that broke on my fueli rig, no rust just a clean break all at one time, look close at the part on the left side of the photo, there is a "gusset" on the underside of the tube, my rig is one of the very first production fueli rigs in fact it is titled as a 2013. Notice how the crack is right at the forward end of the gusset, that is a stress point when such a gusset is welded to one side of a tube, I am a certified welder I know what I am talking about.

Hard to see in this photo but again look close and you can see the gusset on the underside of the replacement swing arm.

I hope that are very few of these swing arms have been produced and sold, until this thread was started I had no knowledge of any other Ural rear swing arm breaking as mine did and "assumed" it was a fluke now that one that was produced in 2010 has cracked in the same manner it is something to be concerned about. I feel confident that Ural will stand behind the part I just hope no one gets hurt if and when it ever happens again.

Dave

Dave, I see that your original late 2013 FI had the gusset and that the replacement you received also has it. From your other posts regarding 2wd swing arm breakage, I read that you recommend others to ensure they get the latest version. Does that mean that there is a newer version without the gusset, and is the one you recommend to get?

How has this replacement (shown with gusset) holding up?

atlasheating
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Re: I am joining the club...

Post by atlasheating » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:27 pm

My swingarm broke (same place as the rest of you) about 3 or 4 miles from home at the start of a 4 day trip. Just as we were starting from a stop light POP and then clunk. When I got it off the road a guy stopped and asked if he could help. I recognized him as one of my sales rep from the HVAC supply company I buy from. He gave me a ride home, I got the trailer hooked up and rescued the URal. We left it at home and did our trip on the Moto Guzzi about 1 hour later.

atlasheating
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by atlasheating » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:11 am

I finally got the new swingarm and it is definitely heavier than the old one. I did an unofficial weigh in using my arms. The Ural is all together and it is just like new. I am now ready for the next adventure.

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:57 am

atlasheating wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:11 am
I finally got the new swingarm and it is definitely heavier than the old one. I did an unofficial weigh in using my arms. The Ural is all together and it is just like new. I am now ready for the next adventure.
What year is your bike?
Did your original swing arm have the gusset?
Does the new one have the gusset?

atlasheating
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by atlasheating » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:17 pm

The bike is a 2014 Patrol Fuel Injection. The old swing arm had the gusset the new one does not.

co_g30
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by co_g30 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:37 pm

well, add another 2014 to the list of rigs suffering a break very similar to the OP's break. Presently seeking a welder in Las Vegas as my rig is way out of warranty....yeah, I'm traveling with it, on a trailer but in travel mode so no easy access to a welder at home.

I had just come off the steep road that is the Moki Dugway in Utah.....luckily it happened on flat ground at low speeds as I was heading back to camp!
CO_G30
2014 Ural Patrol "Scarlett"
1999 Ural Patrol "Fiona" with '84 R80 engine.
1987 BMW R80 "Brigitta"
2006 Yamaha TW200 "Yagi"
http://redlegsrides.blogspot.com
https://www.facebook.com/redlegsrides

Msblu79
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Msblu79 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:05 am

I would suggest trying to contact the factory service folks in Redmund, they just might help you out seeing it was a known problem for that model year and they have helped others who had the same problem. Structural failures like that deserve some consideration from them as it really shouldn't happen. :)
2010 Black Patrol 94,000km's
Modtop airbox, 2013 branch pipes, Perch rings, Yamaha petcock, Drilled slides, Gossie needles, 145 mains, 45 pilots, insulated manifolds, Modtop pushrods & Airbox, Dual FMF exhaust, PA Multi-spark system w/ VOES, Spin on filter conversion, 33mpg, Royal Purple fluids.