Engine transplant

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
dneprlover
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Re: Engine transplant

Post by dneprlover » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:11 am

RWB wrote:
I like the way a ural looks and the engines seem to be a weak item when driven on modern highways. They were not designed to be highway vehicles but neither was the original BMW there were reverse engineered from

Bob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please educate us all, EXACTLY WHICH parts of a Ural were 'reverse engineered' from BMW please?
Neval BMW/MT11 800cc hybrid, Neval 2wd MT10-36, Neval standard MT10-36, Neval MT16, another MT11, BMW/MB650 hybrid , K750m and an MB750 with locking diff.

thumper05flstsc
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by thumper05flstsc » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:41 am

dneprlover wrote:
RWB wrote:
I like the way a ural looks and the engines seem to be a weak item when driven on modern highways. They were not designed to be highway vehicles but neither was the original BMW there were reverse engineered from

Bob

Please educate us all, EXACTLY WHICH parts of a Ural were 'reverse engineered' from BMW please?
Here we go again! :boogie:
Forrest fog 2013 Gear Up. "IT"........GONE Replaced with an Indian Springfield.

"Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse" (SB)

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by gobium » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:55 am

:lurker:

Blue Ridge Wheeltor
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Blue Ridge Wheeltor » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:45 pm

pigdog wrote:You might want to call the St. Louis area dealer Dave Clark at abcbmw.com 314-938-7336. He's done a few.

If you use the /5 motor you can tell everyone you have the Dave Clark 5.
95% of all Urals built in the last ten years are still on the road....The other 5% made it home.

fencermatt
Party Member
Party Member

Post by fencermatt » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:30 am

I recently finished putting a 1985 R80 engine into my Dnepr. I wrote up posts on the process, complete with pictures. Some of the pictures are even vaguely useful:) If I can do it, you can do it. Search for my 'Dnepr/BMW Conversion' threads. Most everything involving the engine swap applies just as much to a Ural. If you've got any specific questions, feel free to let me know.
Matt Pearsall

1989 Neval MT-16/BMW R80rt (Egor)
2003 Kawasaki KLR 650

BigJames
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

Post by BigJames » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:23 pm

Just keep watching the thread in the link below...there are already some pics. It's my bike and that is the only way I know what is going on. Neither Richard nor I are in a hurry and I promised I would not ask about it...and have not and will not, but you all can watch with me...

http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/view ... 11&t=33664
BigJames
15 Ural M70 (КРИСТИНA)
11 Ural Retro (100K and counting)
95/79 Bural Sportsman (Myrtle)
88 HD FLHS Watsonian Cambridge (232K and counting)
51 HD Servicar

RWB
Comrade
Comrade

Engine transplant

Post by RWB » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:33 pm

Thanks. I'll watch the progress!!

RWB
Comrade
Comrade

Engine transplant

Post by RWB » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:34 pm

dneprlover wrote:
RWB wrote:

Bob

I hope Your kidding!!!!

RWB
Comrade
Comrade

Engine transplant

Post by RWB » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:36 pm

fencermatt wrote:I recently finished putting a 1985 R80 engine into my Dnepr. I wrote up posts on the process, complete with pictures. Some of the pictures are even vaguely useful:) If I can do it, you can do it. Search for my 'Dnepr/BMW Conversion' threads. Most everything involving the engine swap applies just as much to a Ural. If you've got any specific questions, feel free to let me know.

I'll check out your posts. Thanks

Bob

RWB
Comrade
Comrade

Engine transplant

Post by RWB » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:40 pm

Bural wrote:Richard is doing a conversion for Big James' Sportsman right now. You can check out the thread. It is something you can definately do yourself, once you have your gearbox case modified. You can use any old airhead, preferably /6,7 pre 81. You can use up to a 95, but you would need to install the heavier flywheel. He doesn't use a ring, as every Ural/Dnepr is different, and he doesn't feel a ring is precise enough. It's best to buy a complete bike, and sell off what you don't use on the conversion. You usually end up getting your engine free. I'm sure there is something I missed, so if you have any questions, just give Richard a call. He has done around 20 now, and here is a pic of the very first one on our 96 Ural Tourist (still going strong).
Thank you

What engine got used for yours??? Any problems with the transmission or rear since the transplant???

Bob

Bural
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Bural » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:31 pm

We used a R90 in the red Tourist, a R90 in the Beepr, a R75 in the black Tourist (sold), and a R80 in the MT16 Dnepr. No problems on any engine causing premature wear on the drivetrain, as long as you remember to ride it like a Ural. It will want to go alot faster and easily can, but these rigs are just not safe at speeds over 70 IMHO. You won't fade on hills, either.
Richard & Jan
1996 Ural Tourist R90 For sale soon
Dnepr MT 16 R80 A work in progress
BMW R90/Dnepr Project (The Beepr)

dneprlover
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by dneprlover » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:46 am

RWB wrote:
dneprlover wrote:
RWB wrote:

Bob

I hope Your kidding!!!!
Not kidding about anything. You made a statement, I simply want you to explain it.
Last edited by dneprlover on Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Neval BMW/MT11 800cc hybrid, Neval 2wd MT10-36, Neval standard MT10-36, Neval MT16, another MT11, BMW/MB650 hybrid , K750m and an MB750 with locking diff.

RWB
Comrade
Comrade

Engine transplant

Post by RWB » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:49 pm

Bural wrote:We used a R90 in the red Tourist, a R90 in the Beepr, a R75 in the black Tourist (sold), and a R80 in the MT16 Dnepr. No problems on any engine causing premature wear on the drivetrain, as long as you remember to ride it like a Ural. It will want to go alot faster and easily can, but these rigs are just not safe at speeds over 70 IMHO. You won't fade on hills, either.
I'm not looking to build something for the highway. The intent is to build a reliable bike to enjoy riding secondary roads with the wife and sometimes the dog

Bob

RWB
Comrade
Comrade

Engine transplant

Post by RWB » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:55 pm

dneprlover wrote:
RWB wrote:
dneprlover wrote:
RWB wrote:

Bob

I hope Your kidding!!!!
Not kidding about anything. You made a statement, I simply wish you to clarify it. there are many stories about the birth of the flat twin in the Soviet countries, most of them Stalinist fairy story propaganda. The simple fact is that no parts of the original M72s or any other Soviet bike were 'reverse engineered' from BMW models. The Soviets didn't need to reverse engineer anything as the Nazis gave them the complete plans, production line and engineers to set it up. This was part of the 'Molotov-Ribbentrop pact signed in 1939.

Bural
up.
Thanks. I did not know that Hitler gave the Russians BMW's motorcycle and tooling designs. Apparently there was even some cooperation setting up the manufacturing

Makes sense!!!!! They were originally allies. I wonder if they did the same with Italy?

Bob

RWB
Comrade
Comrade

Engine transplant

Post by RWB » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:02 pm

Bural wrote:We used a R90 in the red Tourist, a R90 in the Beepr, a R75 in the black Tourist (sold), and a R80 in the MT16 Dnepr. No problems on any engine causing premature wear on the drivetrain, as long as you remember to ride it like a Ural. It will want to go alot faster and easily can, but these rigs are just not safe at speeds over 70 IMHO. You won't fade on hills, either.
So the key is modifying the transmission case to match the later BMW engine. I'm sure there are some flywheel differences as well. I'll look thru some of the old threads and try to pick up some answers

Thanks again

Bob