Engine transplant

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
Bural
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Re: Engine transplant

Post by Bural » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:53 pm

Yes, once the gearbox is modified, you can use any /5,6 or 7. They have the heavier flywheel. You will also need a /2 clutch plate. If you have any questions, give Richard a call at 828 526-0783.
Richard & Jan
1996 Ural Tourist R90 For sale soon
Dnepr MT 16 R80 A work in progress
BMW R90/Dnepr Project (The Beepr)

BigJames
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

Post by BigJames » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:56 am

I am going to have to agree with Bural on the over 70 and not safe thing. Have a ridiculous number of miles on hacks (around 100K miles just on the HD alone). My opinion is based on my stupidity when younger. Urals/Dneprs rigs are simply not designed for high speed all they way down to the tires. They do slow better then most. Shoot, my Retro can go well over 70, it doesn't. My R90 rig will do well over 90, but I won't. The HD can go over 80, easy, scary too. I don't know about the Sportsman yet. Nothing like the sidecar getting light as it prepares for take off and unload the front end...and then there is stopping. Adds a whole new meaning to flying the sidecar and panic stop! Except for the performance rigs, none are particularly stable at high speed. Just because you can go faster does not mean it is advisable! One learns from experience, if they survive. End of words from the wise.
BigJames
15 Ural M70 (КРИСТИНA)
11 Ural Retro (100K and counting)
95/79 Bural Sportsman (Myrtle)
88 HD FLHS Watsonian Cambridge (232K and counting)
51 HD Servicar

RWB
Comrade
Comrade

Post by RWB » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:06 am

Bural wrote:We used a R90 in the red Tourist, a R90 in the Beepr, a R75 in the black Tourist (sold), and a R80 in the MT16 Dnepr. No problems on any engine causing premature wear on the drivetrain, as long as you remember to ride it like a Ural. It will want to go alot faster and easily can, but these rigs are just not safe at speeds over 70 IMHO. You won't fade on hills, either.
Richard

Which engine do you feel is the best one to put in a Ural or Dnepr?

Bob

RWB
Comrade
Comrade

Post by RWB » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:11 am

BigJames wrote:I am going to have to agree with Bural on the over 70 and not safe thing. Have a ridiculous number of miles on hacks (around 100K miles just on the HD alone). My opinion is based on my stupidity when younger. Urals/Dneprs rigs are simply not designed for high speed all they way down to the tires. They do slow better then most. Shoot, my Retro can go well over 70, it doesn't. My R90 rig will do well over 90, but I won't. The HD can go over 80, easy, scary too. I don't know about the Sportsman yet. Nothing like the sidecar getting light as it prepares for take off and unload the front end...and then there is stopping. Adds a whole new meaning to flying the sidecar and panic stop! Except for the performance rigs, none are particularly stable at high speed. Just because you can go faster does not mean it is advisable! One learns from experience, if they survive. End of words from the wise.
I'm not looking to build a hack for going fast, I have other vehicles for that.

The idea on this one is something to cruise secondary and back roads with maybe some gravel mixed in, and enjoy the ride, hopefully with the wife , more likely with the dog.

Might even try some of the fire roads and power line right a ways were we currently run the dirt bikes.

Bob

RWB
Comrade
Comrade

Post by RWB » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:15 am

With an older bike say pre 2000, which is a better bike the Dnepr or the Ural for this type of swap?

Reading the stuff on here it looks like of the 2 the Dnepr was a little more sophisticated, or at the very least had a "better?" trans?

I know that Ural has upgraded the bikes over the last 14 years, ans the new ones are a lot more modern, but i'm not looking for a modern bike.

Bob

vetsurginc

Post by vetsurginc » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:07 am

know that Ural has upgraded the bikes over the last 14 years, ans the new ones are a lot more modern, but i'm not looking for a modern bike.

No worries mate :lol:
Doug
2011 GearUp Vasily (Васи́лий) Main 125, idle 38, Raceway needles, and stock exhaust, MKIII air filter
2010 R1200RT Gustav

Bural
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Bural » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:43 am

Bob, You need to talk to Richard. He has done Ural and Dnepr transplants, and can better tell you which one (if either) he prefers. I know there are things he likes and dislikes about both.
Richard & Jan
1996 Ural Tourist R90 For sale soon
Dnepr MT 16 R80 A work in progress
BMW R90/Dnepr Project (The Beepr)

RWB
Comrade
Comrade

Engine transplant

Post by RWB » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:40 am

I will!!!!

BigJames

Post by BigJames » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:59 pm

But don't ask him about my Sportsman! Promised I wouldn't bug him about it! Prefer no one else does either...and i like surprises anyway...

RWB, what you are building yours for is exactly what I am doing mine for. Retro is great on the road, can do the dirt, but really is not suited for it! Plus, it will be nice not slowing down for every head wind and hill!
BigJames
15 Ural M70 (КРИСТИНA)
11 Ural Retro (100K and counting)
95/79 Bural Sportsman (Myrtle)
88 HD FLHS Watsonian Cambridge (232K and counting)
51 HD Servicar

fencermatt
Party Member
Party Member

Post by fencermatt » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:23 am

RWB wrote:With an older bike say pre 2000, which is a better bike the Dnepr or the Ural for this type of swap?
I used to own a 1996 Ural Sportsman with a R80/7 engine (swap done by Bural) and now I have a 1989 Dnepr MT-16 with an R80 RT engine (swap done by myself more-or-less). Of the two, I much prefer the MT-16. I rebuilt the FD and transmission of both bikes, and the internals of the Dnepr were, in my opinion, more robust and better engineered. In fact, I've been thoroughly impressed with the thoughtfulness of the design of my MT-16. The full-time 2WD on the MT16 is also much more elegantly done than on the Sportsman, and I really love having full-time 2WD. I've also found parts for the Dnepr to be easy to get. They take a couple of weeks to get because I have to order from Europe, but all of the parts are readily available, and no more expensive than Ural parts from local dealers.

On the other hand, I did have a helluva time getting the brakes on my Dnepr sorted, while the Sportsman brakes worked fine after only a bit of fussing, and I really wish my Dnepr had the same trunk lid that Urals have. Also,with a Dnepr you need to pay attention to what type of wheels and shocks are on the bike. There are parts that were made for the military and for export that were equivalent to what you'd get on a similar Ural, but there were also parts made for domestic use which are much worse than those you'll find on a Ural. If you're looking at Dneprs, make sure you know what type of shocks and wheels you're getting.

Electrics-wise both have awful wiring, so be ready to chase gremlins (or just rip everything out and build yourself your own wiring harness).
Matt Pearsall

1989 Neval MT-16/BMW R80rt (Egor)
2003 Kawasaki KLR 650

RWB
Comrade
Comrade

Engine transplant

Post by RWB » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:20 pm

Wiring issues are pretty straight forward!!! I've been been building wiring harnesses for quite a while.

Thanks for all the feedback on the differences. I think I'll keep my eyes open for a Dnepr.

Is the TRANS case mods the same for both ural and Dnepr

The MT 16 is the last version of the Dnepr?? Are they all 2wd???

The project bike will need to be 2wd!!!!!

Thanks

Bob

fencermatt
Party Member
Party Member

Post by fencermatt » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:08 am

From the mid-80s until they went under Dnepr had two models, the MT-16 and the MT-11. Their basically the same bike, except the MT-16 is 2wd and the MT-11 is 1wd. It's a full-time 2wd, though there is a kit you can get to add a differential lock to an MT16 FD (http://www.oldtimergarage.eu/catalog/pr ... cts_id=663) so that you can have a locking hub like on a modern Ural Patrol. Whether you end up going with a Dnepr or a Sportsman I can't recommend the full-time 2wd enough. It makes riding on pavement so much smoother because the bike isn't constantly pulling to the right when you accelerate. It also means you'll be less tired after a full day of riding because you won't be having to constantly be compensating for the bike wanting to pull.

As far as doing the conversion, it's the exact same process whether you have a Ural or a Dnepr transmission. It's really simple, either way.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you've got any other questions. Dnepr or Ural, these are great bikes for fixing up, you'll have a blast with this project.
Matt Pearsall

1989 Neval MT-16/BMW R80rt (Egor)
2003 Kawasaki KLR 650

RWB
Comrade
Comrade

Post by RWB » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:16 am

Matt

Thanks!! I am definitly looking for a 2wd bike, and the fulltime setup seems to be the best option.

Bob

RWB
Comrade
Comrade

Post by RWB » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:19 am

I'd like to thank everyone for all thier help and answers to my questions!!

I'm sure I will have lots more and hopefully you all with have some patience with a new guy!!

Now it's a matter of finding the right project!!

Bob
I

John B

Post by John B » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:40 pm

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=52255#p662743
Would be a good canadate for transplant.