Final drive oil drip

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
Roadking
Comrade General
Comrade General

Final drive oil drip

Post by Roadking » Sat May 03, 2014 10:02 am

I've read so many posts regarding the oil drip from the final drive that I'm not sure if there was any real conclusion as to the reason. Is it the seals as some believe? Is it from the vent? Did the new seals correct it? Some say no.
I'm not sure if I should ask the dealer to address it at this point, or wait until it's clear what the actual cause is.
Was there ever an agreed upon cause?
2014 Ural Sage Green Gear Up (The Crazy Russian)
2001 HD Roadking FLHRI

Never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Then he'll be a mile away and he'll have no shoes.

Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Re: Final drive oil drip

Post by Albuquralque » Sat May 03, 2014 10:34 am

Is yours showing signs of drips? It's real easy to tell if its spitting out the vent.
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM), 2014 Patrol

redtails
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by redtails » Sat May 03, 2014 1:02 pm

There is an issue with the final drive on the 2014 acknowledged by IMWA. The seals are failing, most likely NOT due to poor seals but rather due to excessive "wobbling" of the yoke. I've had mine up on the center stand, running and in gear and there is a definite out of round and wobble in the drive shaft that is believed to be the cause of the premature wear to the seal.

I've had three seals in mine, the stock, replaced with another OEM and now has an alternate seal, all have developed a leak that progresses over time. In my opinion, the leaky seal is a symptom not a root cause.
- Jon
2014 Patrol Red/White "Uranus"

Roadking
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Roadking » Sat May 03, 2014 3:48 pm

Coluralado wrote:Is yours showing signs of drips? It's real easy to tell if its spitting out the vent.
Yup! Hard to tell from where, but from what I'm seein' I'm thinking from the seal.
It's small right now so I can hold off until it's worked out I guess.
2014 Ural Sage Green Gear Up (The Crazy Russian)
2001 HD Roadking FLHRI

Never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Then he'll be a mile away and he'll have no shoes.

Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by Albuquralque » Sat May 03, 2014 6:02 pm

What I thought was a seal leak on mine was actually oil spitting out the vent. It wasn't real obvious at first because the oil will cone out the vent, work its way down forward and collect near the drain plug and drip. My initial thought it was the yokeseal.

Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM), 2014 Patrol

redtails
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by redtails » Sun May 04, 2014 10:13 am

Occasionally I've had oil escape from the FD vent and it does collect at the drain plug. But the leak from the seal is obvious where its coming from and it also streams down the bottom side of the FD housing and collects/drips from the drain plug. There's a line of oil directly from the front seal to the drain plug. The last seal installed worked for just over 400kms and during that time my FD remained dry and leak free.
- Jon

vetsurginc
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by vetsurginc » Sun May 04, 2014 11:46 am

You can also check the swingarm for a line of oil sling. I use Redline (the green stuff) which shows up nicely. If I overfill a bit it gets a quick sling out to the arm. Normally just an ooz around the seal. Holopaw Gene has checked it and declared it a Ural normal "lubricating/automatic rust preventative" ooz. :lol:
Doug
2011 GearUp Vasily (Васи́лий) Main 125, idle 38, Raceway needles, and stock exhaust, MKIII air filter
2010 R1200RT Gustav

Yakatak
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Yakatak » Wed May 07, 2014 11:39 am

I have a leaky rear seal and a lot of wobble at the yoke. I have not measured the exact amount of runout on the driveshaft (approx. 3 mm) but it is obviously excessive. Is there a spec for the driveshaft runout? redtails....During your seal replacements, was there any discussion about fixing the wobble?
2014 Ural Gear Up - Asphalt

Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by Albuquralque » Wed May 07, 2014 12:42 pm

Yakatak wrote:I have a leaky rear seal
Which seal are you talking about?

redtails
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by redtails » Wed May 07, 2014 4:19 pm

Yakatak wrote:I have a leaky rear seal and a lot of wobble at the yoke. I have not measured the exact amount of runout on the driveshaft (approx. 3 mm) but it is obviously excessive. Is there a spec for the driveshaft runout? redtails....During your seal replacements, was there any discussion about fixing the wobble?
I have a "wobble" also, but yours sounds a tad more severe. I've seen earlier Urals up on the center stand, running in first gear and the drive shaft to the yoke looks to be spinning perfectly true. So the wobble can't be right.

As far as fixing the wobble, no, there was no discussion because it wasn't detected at the time. My stock seal leaked after approximately 300 kms or so, not sure because I wasn't looking for it, that's just when I first noticed the drip. At the 1,000kms initial check, the dealer replaced the seal along with the yoke/u Joint section due to there being an irregularity on the surface that spun on the seal. By the time I got home (52 miles) the OEM replacement seal had already started to leak. The third seal, a different mfg, lasted just under 500kms before it started to leak.
- Jon

Yakatak
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Yakatak » Wed May 07, 2014 6:00 pm

Coluralado wrote:
Yakatak wrote:I have a leaky rear seal
Which seal are you talking about?
FD
2014 Ural Gear Up - Asphalt

redtails
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by redtails » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:02 pm

The 2014 FD maybe susceptible to heat build up at sustained freeway speeds (~65 mph for 60-70 kilometers or more) that have shown to compromise the front seal. Some, not all, will develop a leak afterwards and will continue to leak.
- Jon

Peter Pan
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by Peter Pan » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:38 pm

The 2012 FD is throwing oil out of the breather by design, that was taken care of in 2013. Anyhow some Little oil comes out of the 2013 breather too. In mine I got rid of the rest leak by stuffing a cigarette filter into the breather hole. Now all that gets out there is a little sweat. Plus I do not worry as much about water getting into the final drive, while the breathing action is still there.
Sven
Sophie Travelair = Patrol 2013
8 weeks 12.000km Oregon-Alaska-Oregon
With a DIY foam air filter the rig runs well even in tropical rain = :moto:
Final drives: 1. at 5000km, 2. at 34.000km(+friction plates) 3. at 42.386km
transmission: 1. 40.000km. 2. installed
Engine: 1. 43.388km crank replacement: Back on the road since 23.Okt.2019 :party:

The Avatar are 2 rice grains stating life's essence:
"The most important you cannot see!"
=> Attitude makes the difference!

Kilometers2
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Kilometers2 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:10 pm

Picked up seals and assorted gaskets today from my local (2 hour one way) dealer when I rode over to get the 1.07 EFI update. I was wondering before I begin this next chapter of Ural Maintenance, I'm wondering what everyone is doing to resolve this? From the above threads it doesn't appear to be as simple as swapping out seals. I'd appreciate comments. Mine has been dripping since about 500km and I now have 1300km on my 2014 Patrol. I'd always planned on replacing the seals myself as now that the speedometer was replaced I'd really like to keep driving it......I've attached photos as to what it looks like today.

Thanks.

Kilometers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Miles aka Kilometers

Uralless for 3 years and regretting it the last 2 years I have owned a Doberman. Thinking of coming back rather than hacking the Harley...there is just something about Urals, this forum, and the 2WD I used infrequently while camping.....

Formerly owned 2007 GU, 2014 Patrol, and 2016 GU

Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by Albuquralque » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:28 pm

I heard directly from Ural HQ today that a tech bulletin will be released to dealers this week that will address the leaky final drive problems. It would be best to see what Ural HQ says is the fix.