Oil pan heater

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
siberman1
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: Oil pan heater

Post by siberman1 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:32 pm

WEGUNTER wrote:When I served with the Russians in Bosnia and Kosovo as a liaison officer, I used to watch Russian mechanics stick a pan filled with oily rags under their BTR-70's and light them on fire. They started right up.
Think Bill Glasser's idea with the sterno is great.

Bill
I have seen Russians do some of the craziest of "mechanical repair" procedures. Example- salt water as Loctite. Oddly enough, most of them work and most americans would never think of these ways to do stuff. Well, most except for Gobium... (a compliment!)

YMMV
Sent from my laptop using OEM fingers, ordinary Mouse, and LCD-screen
2014 полынь зеленый гU
Сибирь Экспресс #2

Zero payments

Emoore
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Emoore » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:53 am

Doesn't anyone make an oil heater plug that replaces your existing oil pan plug?
I've seen them plugged in to many vehicles, including motorcycles. You would kinda figure a company that is in the Ural mountains would have one.....right?????

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
Ernest
2012 Ural T Olive (Roulette)
2011 Patrol (OTTO)
Yamaha FZ07 ( My need for speed )

Wake Forest, NC

John Wayne - Life's Hard. It's Even Harder When You're Stupid.

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:14 am

Started and ridden in as low as 14 below zero. Never a problem or need for a heater except for my own cold a$$.
I believe common sense would tell you that you should warm the bike up in extreme weather like that.
But... I guess it couldn't hurt. JC Witney sells them for cars.

Had a factory block heater on an old 1972 Mercedes-Benz Diesel years ago. That was absolutely necessary because of the fuel. Didn't plug it in one very, very cold Winter night. A very expensive mistake getting the gelled diesel fuel cleaned out of the system.
Stagewex

Current Herd all running amok:
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
2006 Honda "Big Ruckus" PS250
2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)

Wildhorse Cafe

Post by Wildhorse Cafe » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:26 pm

I'm thinking a Ukrainian camp stove would be ideal. :D
2011 Patrol, The Higgs Bison Super Collider, formally known as, the Orange and Silver Pumpkin Coach.

2013 Black Retro, Chernaya Krasota, formally known as, my name is nobody.

When you set out on your journey to Ithaca
pray the road is long , full of adventure, full of knowledge
not expecting that Ithaca will offer you riches
Ithaca has given you the beautiful voyage

C.P. Cavafy

Peter Pan
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Peter Pan » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:36 pm

In my student time on a Reng.täng, täng Honnekertaxi, the buddies in Germany who owned Beemer and Guzzi on winter meetings used to take their camping stoves for 40 minutes under the block before they even tried to get some juice out of their huge batteries. Me: turn the gasoline valve on, kick 3 times without ignition, 2-3 times with ignition...reng, kläng, kläng...Bye, bye.
Sophie Travelair = Patrol 2013
8 weeks 12.000km Oregon-Alaska-Oregon
With a DIY foam air filter the rig runs well even in tropical rain = :moto:
Final drives: 1. at 5000km, 2. at 34.000km(+friction plates) 3. at 42.386km
transmission: 1. 40.000km. 2. installed
Engine: 1. 43.388km crank replacement: Back on the road since 23.Okt.2019 :party:

The Avatar are 2 rice grains stating life's essence:
"The most important you cannot see!"
=> Attitude makes the difference!

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:19 pm

Wildhorse Cafe wrote:I'm thinking a Ukrainian camp stove would be ideal. :D
Yes I think just chuck a tray of kerosene underneath and set fire to it :D

Seriously a friend years ago saw this being done to the tour bus when he made a trip to Poland. :o
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

Wildhorse Cafe

Post by Wildhorse Cafe » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:31 pm

Mr Wazzock wrote:
Yes I think just chuck a tray of kerosene underneath and set fire to it :D

Seriously a friend years ago saw this being done to the tour bus when he made a trip to Poland. :o
But you need that blue flame that only a gas generator can provide. :wink:
2011 Patrol, The Higgs Bison Super Collider, formally known as, the Orange and Silver Pumpkin Coach.

2013 Black Retro, Chernaya Krasota, formally known as, my name is nobody.

When you set out on your journey to Ithaca
pray the road is long , full of adventure, full of knowledge
not expecting that Ithaca will offer you riches
Ithaca has given you the beautiful voyage

C.P. Cavafy

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:54 pm

I used my "Yamal" heater a few years back when the starting temp for the New years ride was -2F!
Pointed it right under the engine after it wouldn't catch even with crank/kick assist.
After about 15 minutes it started on first push of the button.

In that time I don't think the oil heated up as much as the carbs did, allowing the fuel to vaporize better.
F89B709D-F737-4DF9-A8D1-D0471782A92E.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tx2sturgis
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by tx2sturgis » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:30 pm

My ears were burning!

I HEARD that!

:P
Current Ural: 2013 Ural Solo sT

Previous Ural: 2013 Ural Patrol

Red Dwarf
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Red Dwarf » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:30 pm

I've used my MSR Firefly to warm up my log splitter. :kumbaya:
Way better than my magnetic electric heater.

Never any problem with the Retro except using the electric starter more often.
2012 Retro

Jack'D

Post by Jack'D » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:34 pm

I switch to synthetic for the winter. No heat not garaged and it starts electrically down to - 19F with no problems. 4 years so far.
2012 Black Truck Bed Liner Spray Can Gear Up 8)

adriancw

Post by adriancw » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:14 pm

So - I have a similar question, and was wondering if anybody has some practical guidance on how to approach fitting an Oil Pan Heater...

As many of you may know, the Oil Pan/Sump on the Ural is not flat. It has ridges that might be for cooling or to reinforce the Oil Pan itself - about 1/2 an inch or 1 cm apart.

So a Heat Pad won't fit onto them, or bend around then, or fit between them...

My thought is (and please tell me if you think this won't work, or have an alternative solution) - fill the gaps with metal and a silicon weld, and put the Heat Pad on that. The heat could then be conducted to the Oil Pan.

In other words use some nuts or nails, and then apply a welding compound (like a silicon gasket or welding material) that will bind and hold them in place (for low and high temperatures), and then stick the heat pad to that. For example - Permatex 81878 Ultra Copper Maximum Temperature.

To help support it and hold it in place, some sort of heat shield, an asbestos-like insulation pad (1/4 inch or so) to go between the Pan Heater and the Skid Plate.

I read in the older posts here about using a Sterno stove, or oily rags - sorry not doing that. Also in a post above, I read that Hubert Kriegel (may be Ride in Peace) modified his oil pan by grinding it down in order to fit the Heat Pad.

Thoughts anybody? Many thanks, Adrian (riding in Canada soon - temperatures expected to be approx -30 degrees F
Adrian C Wright
2016 Ural Gear Up
1969 BSA Rocket 3 A-75
2004 BMW R1150RT
and a few projects...

jeffsaline

Post by jeffsaline » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:07 pm

I think if I was needing an oil pan heater that bad I would consider making an oil pan to fit the heater.

Since you have a skid plate removing the ridges from the pan currently in use sounds viable. Maybe consider sandwiching the heating element between the oil pan and another flat plate (maybe something that provides some insulating value).

Best,

Jeff
Jeff Saline
2010 Gear Up
-Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick Two
-Just because something isn't true, no reason you can't believe it. Hub McCann Second Hand Lions
-Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

jaybird
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov
Location: The foothills of the Forked River Mountains, West Barnegat NJ (Do It In The Pines!) 08005

Post by jaybird » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:18 pm

adriancw wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:14 pm
So - I have a similar question, and was wondering if anybody has some practical guidance on how to approach fitting an Oil Pan Heater...

As many of you may know, the Oil Pan/Sump on the Ural is not flat. It has ridges that might be for cooling or to reinforce the Oil Pan itself - about 1/2 an inch or 1 cm apart.

My thought is (and please tell me if you think this won't work, or have an alternative solution) - fill the gaps with metal and a silicon weld, and put the Heat Pad on that. The heat could then be conducted to the Oil Pan.

In other words use some nuts or nails, and then apply a welding compound (like a silicon gasket or welding material) that will bind and hold them in place (for low and high temperatures), and then stick the heat pad to that. For example - Permatex 81878 Ultra Copper Maximum Temperature.

To help support it and hold it in place, some sort of heat shield, an asbestos-like insulation pad (1/4 inch or so) to go between the Pan Heater and the Skid Plate.

I read in the older posts here about using a Sterno stove, or oily rags - sorry not doing that. Also in a post above, I read that Hubert Kriegel (may be Ride in Peace) modified his oil pan by grinding it down in order to fit the Heat Pad.

Thoughts anybody? Many thanks, Adrian (riding in Canada soon - temperatures expected to be approx -30 degrees F
Why not just use a dipstick style oil heater?
Much easier solution, and when you don’t need it, wipe it off and put it in the tool roll.

Happy trails,
Jaybird
2005 Gear-Up, Mr. Nat_ural 108,000+ Kilometers and counting
2013 Retro, Black beauty, AKA Lucky "13"
1995 Olive Tourist
1975 Enfield Diesel Bullet
2008 Enfield Bullet 500
1974 BMW R 75/6
Etc.

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:44 pm

Too much faffing about.

How about, a shallow pan of some sort, meat dish? Deep enough to hold the heater pad and immerse the sump – I assume pad will be waterproof – fill it with water, turn it on. It will need to be supported on something of course. Then, problee want additive in the water to prevent corrosion of the alloy etc. Starts getting complicated...
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")