Any good source for Stainless metric?

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
antisoshal
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Any good source for Stainless metric?

Post by antisoshal » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:09 pm

My OCD might show a little here, but I'm gonna gradually replace all the nuts and bolts with stainless as I can, but a few are a beyotch to find. In particular, the M8 x1.0 are a pain in the a$$ to find in stainless, so if anyone knows a good source on line for this stuff that would be awesome. If anyone is interested in getting some, I will buy in bulk and split them up and you can paypal me at my cost plus some postage.
2011 Patrol painted Red October Red: Custom Harley Rocket Tail exhaust, 20 Watt LED brake lamps, 20 Watt LED driving lights, Re-wired sidecar with 12 Position fuse box, in dash Fusion Audio weather radio/mp3 player w/128gig SSD storage, Sirius radio and occasionally a beautiful wife.

What would Ivan do? Get plastered, fall off the bike and sleep it off in the sidecar.

Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Re: Any good source for Stainless metric?

Post by Albuquralque » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:23 pm

Have you tried your local Ace Hardware? They have a great selection of metric hardware. Oh and by the way, ifn you're OCD, than I am too!
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM), 2014 Patrol

Darkblood
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov
Location: Smithfield, Maine, now further into (Americas Siberia)

Post by Darkblood » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:25 pm

http://www.fastenal.com/web/home.ex
So far I've been able to find just about any fastener I've ever needed at the local Fastenal. Most of the stuff is Chinese but the price is usually right.
2010 Gear Up. named феникс (phoenix)

antisoshal
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by antisoshal » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:29 pm

Coluralado wrote:Have you tried your local Ace Hardware? They have a great selection of metric hardware. Oh and by the way, ifn you're OCD, than I am too!
All the M8 stuff is 1.25mm pitch, or coarse. 1.0mm pitch or "fine" is pretty uncommon in M8, and then in stainless its even more so. I already tried there and a few other old standards.
2011 Patrol painted Red October Red: Custom Harley Rocket Tail exhaust, 20 Watt LED brake lamps, 20 Watt LED driving lights, Re-wired sidecar with 12 Position fuse box, in dash Fusion Audio weather radio/mp3 player w/128gig SSD storage, Sirius radio and occasionally a beautiful wife.

What would Ivan do? Get plastered, fall off the bike and sleep it off in the sidecar.

BillyG
Thread Killer
Thread Killer

Post by BillyG » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:54 pm

Bill Glaser
2002 Ural Patrol "CYKA"
300,000 km's since May 1st 2002
The "Unofficial Ural Service Manual" can be viewed at: http://www.myural.com

JohnBG
General Secretary
General Secretary

Post by JohnBG » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:00 pm

Ace hardware +1...
John Grocke aka "JohnBG"
Site Administrator - sovietsteeds.com

Current Rides:
'06 Ural Raven - "Vorona"
'09 Kawasaki KLR650 - "Madea"

History:
'98.5 Ural Tourist - "Valentina" - Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Harley Road King FLHPI
1997 Harley Electra Glide FLHTPI
Honda Nighthawk 650 from the mid-80's
1980 Suzuki RM125T
1970 Honda CL100

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle.” ― Hunter S. Thompson

antisoshal
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by antisoshal » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:06 pm

Again, I have already gone the Ace route. no joy for M8 fine pitch bolts in stainless. I can't make the Maryland Metric site produce anything useful. They desperate need a web page programmer

Darkblood
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov
Location: Smithfield, Maine, now further into (Americas Siberia)

Post by Darkblood » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:12 pm

Antisocial, Just read your signature line... :lol: You'd be surprised at how comfortable the side car can be to sleep in. :lol:
2010 Gear Up. named феникс (phoenix)

antisoshal
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by antisoshal » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:19 pm

after wrestling with Marylands web nightmare for a bit I can say they also do not carry the size I am looking for in stainless, just zinc plated. I did find it here tho, but its pricey and not exactly what I wanted but will do. I was looking for either a standard hex Stainless M8x1.0 between 10mm and 16mm or a cap head of the same ( this is the two bolts holding the headlight on). This guy has machine cap head M8x1.8 12mm A2 stainless, for 3.70$ each.

http://ballerbolts.com/stainless-fine-t ... 30mm-.html

mgtibb
Party Member
Party Member

Post by mgtibb » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:20 pm

I've bought metric fine pitch at my local Napa before. Maybe give them a try.
2010 Ural Red October
2010 Kawasaki Concours 14

antisoshal
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by antisoshal » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:21 pm

bleh. 6$ plus 6$ postage for two bolts. Those can stay normal for a while I guess.

antisoshal
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by antisoshal » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:23 pm

mgtibb wrote:I've bought metric fine pitch at my local Napa before. Maybe give them a try.
I think people are missing the word "stainless". I can find the bolt in standard zinc plated. my goal is to replace all the fasteners with stainless. So far, he headlight bolts and the ones for the shroud below are the ones Ive had to take off the most, so I was gonna change them out now.

mgtibb
Party Member
Party Member

Post by mgtibb » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:45 pm

Oooohhhhh. Stainless, right. Sorry about that. Why stainless? Isn't it much weaker?
2010 Ural Red October
2010 Kawasaki Concours 14

antisoshal
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by antisoshal » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:20 pm

Im not really gonna use it on load bearing stuff. I like the corrosion resistance. I'm gonna replace the bolt/locknut sets holding the various body parts and bits in place. Nothing structural. I find that the smaller stuff on most things tends to corrode and give me problems later in life far more than large stuff. All the screws holding the plastic lights and trim and things like that will last forever if you make them stainless.

vradin
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by vradin » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:24 pm

Check the Grainger branch near you- http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/br ... nder.shtml They have an extensive selection of stainless metric hardware you can look up from their homepage.

Prices are a little high, but the quality is good, and availability is great. Call in an order to the local branch and they can have it ready in 24-48 hours.

If you're closer to Chicago, Harold's True Value in Evanston has a very large selection of stainless metric hardware, and is the only other place I know and trust to have metric on hand in reasonable quantities and sizes. They'll also special order for you.
vic
2005 Gear Up - Prince Mishkyn