tire chains for Lara

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
Dr Z
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

tire chains for Lara

Post by Dr Z » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:25 pm

what is the feasibility of buying/fabricating a set of light duty chains.... i know clearance is an issue....

ive ridden 150km on snow covered trails last 2 weeks..... my "studs" worked phenomenally well as a temp fix.....

Mr Cob.... where r u when i need u?????
Dr Z
Former owner of LARA a 2010 Black Patrol
Designer of the soon to be world famous Ural Triple Shifter

Tin Man
Commissar
Commissar

Re: tire chains for Lara

Post by Tin Man » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:18 pm

Ya mean somethin like this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
2007 GearUp (Arctic #1)
130/45 jets, KTM rock solid mirrors, Delaware Dave's outstanding trunk lock, Mr. Cob's most excellent skid plate, Cycra Probend smashproof hand guards, Duro strong like bull 307's, RotoPax damn near bulletproof fuel cans, MKIII all but water proof air box and Dimples super duper magnetic drain plugs all around...oh yeah, and a manual fuel petcock.

.........if you see something that needs doing, just do it........

Tin Man
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tin Man » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:20 pm

Or, you could go this route....... :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
2007 GearUp (Arctic #1)
130/45 jets, KTM rock solid mirrors, Delaware Dave's outstanding trunk lock, Mr. Cob's most excellent skid plate, Cycra Probend smashproof hand guards, Duro strong like bull 307's, RotoPax damn near bulletproof fuel cans, MKIII all but water proof air box and Dimples super duper magnetic drain plugs all around...oh yeah, and a manual fuel petcock.

Dr Z
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Dr Z » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:23 pm

yeah mike,

thats the idea.... first ques.... will it tear up the spokes..... and second.... is there clearance....

have u tried em or know aybody who has....

cost???
Dr Z

Tin Man
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tin Man » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:34 pm

Dr Z wrote:yeah mike,

thats the idea.... first ques.... will it tear up the spokes..... and second.... is there clearance....

cost???

They look well made but I would have to send you to someone else to vouche for them. I ain't needed anything like that in a looooong time. :lol:
I remember a post that spoke of a field expediant fix which involved rope wrappped around the tire and rim thru the spokes. :?
Can't seem to find the post.....anybody?........anybody?......... Bueller?..........Bueller? .............. :roll:
Mike
2007 GearUp (Arctic #1)

Tin Man
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tin Man » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:47 pm

More on snow chains and traction enhancers..... 8)

These are installed on spoked wheels........ :cheers:

http://www.motorang.com/staudacher/index_english.htm
Mike
2007 GearUp (Arctic #1)

Dr Z
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Dr Z » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:24 pm

thats what im talkin about.... and the idea of a rope wrap would work if i could find some braided wire rope.... like garage door cable but have to be muich more flexible.... u know i saw some rubber coated wire clothes line in the hardware.... need to take another look at that.... thanks......

when i was a kid with a paper route outside buffalo i put dog choker chain on my tires.... worked pretty good.... course i couldnt produce enough torque to bust a spoke.....

my screws work great but they wear down fast on pavement and come out if i really spin the wheels on dry rock or pavement..... i havent got stuck yet since i started usin them.... i consider them a field expedient fix.....

i bought a kawi 250 enduro in san diego 1971 and had to traverse sierra nevada mtns to get back to 29 stumps.... 8 fn inches of snow.... course i was on 2 wheels.... but if i did it again on lara id take a jar of screws and a batt oper drill in a heartbeat..... safety more than anything.... and the look on cagers when i pass em on sheer ice at 45 mph.... :boogie:
Dr Z

windmill
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by windmill » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:05 am

Dr Z wrote:yeah mike,

cost???
I use home made individual strap on chains, they work well but take some time and effort to put on. Unfortunately conventional chains won't work due to clearance issues.

I am working on self deploying rotary chains like used on emergency vehicles and school buses. If the Geek squad ever gets My computer working properly, I will post pictures.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018/20 M70

mr. cob
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by mr. cob » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:29 am

Howdy Dr Z,

Barry, ( windmill ) is the Nor-Wet chain guy, I have no experience with them, not enough clearance between the drive-shaft and the tire for conventional chains. Some otf those that have been posted look like they would work with the web straps, I think Barry uses a home made version of something like that.
Mr. Cob

Driver of the "Predator" a highly modified 2005 Gear-Up.

The "Canyon Acrobat" a 2008 Gear-Up, and the "Kraken" a 2013/14 Gear-Up, have been sold and no longer in my stable.

My Photo galleries, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

Dr Z
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Dr Z » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:21 am

thanx to everybody!!!
Dr Z

Tin Man
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tin Man » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:16 am

And I would be real picky about what material I used. Gotta use the "hardened" variety. That wire rope thing would probably result in a really nasty frayed mess in short order.
Mike
2007 GearUp (Arctic #1)

VWK75S

Post by VWK75S » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:17 am

Previous post not sure which thread
John
The Ural's made Maine a much bigger state.

2009 GearUp 155,000kms
2007 Retro 25,000kms
1991 VWK75S 110,000miles

cdscoot
Order of Victory
Order of Victory
Location: The lower southern tier of central upstate NY ,Binghamton,NY

Post by cdscoot » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:43 am

Tin Man wrote:And I would be real picky about what material I used. Gotta use the "hardened" variety. That wire rope thing would probably result in a really nasty frayed mess in short order.
With DRZ's luck it would fray and the metal wire would embed in his tire causing multiple flats, that is if it didn't wind around his driveshaft and put him over the handlebars!
Craig
Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again. Every morning is the dawn of a new error .
2010 Patrol T
2016 BMW R1200GS

windmill

Post by windmill » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:45 am

VWK75S wrote:Previous post not sure which thread
John
That's what I'm working on. Not too much to it, a 4" caster wheel, some hardware, chain, just need to make the mount, the 2wd makes it a little more complicated than the one in the picture.

The problem with strap on chains is how few there are per wheel, I put on 5. With the rotary chains there is always a chain on the ground.

If I can find an inexpensive liner actuator, I will set it up to be push button deployed.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018/20 M70

cdscoot
Order of Victory
Order of Victory
Location: The lower southern tier of central upstate NY ,Binghamton,NY

Post by cdscoot » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:18 pm

The drive mechanism that is shown in the picture sure looks like the drive on a Snapper rear engine riding mower. I'll bet it could be adapted real easy to this application. The parts are not that expensive either.
Craig
Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again. Every morning is the dawn of a new error .
2010 Patrol T
2016 BMW R1200GS