kickstart

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
samuria
Party Member
Party Member

kickstart

Post by samuria » Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:11 pm

been away a while. leg and foot op.
need some ideas ,advise etc. on best mod for kickstart with lefthand sidecar. would be best sat on bike
and use left foot.... fastboys in uk do a mod but no photos etc found. :cheers:
1976 dnepr mt 10 650 combo

jaybird
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov
Location: The foothills of the Forked River Mountains, West Barnegat NJ (Do It In The Pines!) 08005

Re: kickstart

Post by jaybird » Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:15 pm

A variation of this maybe?
97C505E9-27A8-499F-B3C8-493016BB8F6C.jpeg
Happy trails,
Jaybird
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2005 Gear-Up, Mr. Nat_ural 108,000+ Kilometers and counting
2013 Retro, Black beauty, AKA Lucky "13"
1995 Olive Tourist
1975 Enfield Diesel Bullet
2008 Enfield Bullet 500
1974 BMW R 75/6
Etc.

freepowerman
Comrade
Comrade

Post by freepowerman » Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:59 pm

Talk about old school, is that what the storage compartment in the tank is for on a gearup? LOL
Jaybird you truly have all the answers.
Still laughing.
Kevin
Better to ride and find time to work than to work and find time to ride.
Throw your GPS in the trash and ask for directions, you just might like the people you meet.

07 Desert Camo Gearup, Sidecar lights front and rear on bike, Led bulbs, 4 way flashers, Raceway dual shifters, barkbusters, stainless exhaust, late style (intake boots, rear brake switch and trunk lock), Ford fuel strainer, front drum brake, tapered wheel bearings, trailer hitch & C5 ignition (turning to points asap).

Snakeoil
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by Snakeoil » Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:34 pm

I was thinking that you cut the peg off the lever and replace with a wide pedal that can rotate like a bicycle pedal. Idea is to kick while facing forward like a conventional bike. This keeps you foot parallel with the side of the hack. Pedal has to rotate to keep your foot flat. What I am not sure of is if being able to rotate will allow your foot to slip off. Might need a pedal surface with a lot of grip. Also not sure if there is enough room for you foot to follow pedal thru the arc. Rear strut might be in the way.
Regards,
Rob
Proud member of the Peanut Gallery
Certified Blatherer
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".

jeffsaline
Hero of the Soviet Union 2022

Post by jeffsaline » Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:35 pm

Snakeoil wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:34 pm
I was thinking that you cut the peg off the lever and replace with a wide pedal that can rotate like a bicycle pedal. Idea is to kick while facing forward like a conventional bike. This keeps you foot parallel with the side of the hack. Pedal has to rotate to keep your foot flat. What I am not sure of is if being able to rotate will allow your foot to slip off. Might need a pedal surface with a lot of grip. Also not sure if there is enough room for you foot to follow pedal thru the arc. Rear strut might be in the way.
I would be interested in seeing the joint design to make this concept possible. The only idea I have after a short think about this is a ball on the end of the lever with a flat platform on top for foot placement.

Best,

Jeff
Jeff Saline
Rapid City, South Dakota
2010 Gear Up
-Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick Two
-Just because something isn't true, no reason you can't believe it. Hub McCann Second Hand Lions
-Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

samuria
Party Member
Party Member

Post by samuria » Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:30 am

thanks guys..... keep them coming please..

Snakeoil
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by Snakeoil » Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:19 pm

Simple rotating bicycle pedal design. Here are some quick sketches. First shows the stock kick start. I used square corners to make it easier to draw. You get the idea. I just noticed that the views from the top are not 100% accurate. But good enough for these purposes.

First shows the stock pedal
Second shows it with a bicycle pedal attached.
Third shows as quick idea of a longer flat metal pedal with sides to keep your foot center and a grippy surface to further prevent slipping.

What I did not do is go look at mine to see how long that flat pedal can be and if there is room for your foot to pass thru the arc with your foot parallel to the side of the hack body.
Slide1.JPG
Slide2.JPG
Slide3.JPG
Happy Thanksgiving!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rob
Certified Blatherer
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains

jeffsaline

Post by jeffsaline » Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:30 pm

Rob,

Thanks for those drawings and sharing your thoughts.

Best,

Jeff
Jeff Saline
Rapid City, South Dakota
2010 Gear Up
-Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick Two
-Just because something isn't true, no reason you can't believe it. Hub McCann Second Hand Lions
-Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

samuria
Party Member
Party Member

Post by samuria » Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:57 pm

many thanks snakeoil. more to think about. cheers.......

Peter Pan
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Peter Pan » Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:43 pm

how about to pass the kick start lever to the right side? just an idea: use 2 gears or 2sprockets with chain and spring.... i better do not send what I sketched.... :gahhh:

Or how about a neumatic piston for to relief the foot?
As you know me I just throw ideas into the room.

I suspect that even the proposed bike pedal would hit the sidecar wall.

I just had a month in North Ireland on the left side of the road...I would have loved a rig or bike there. Most of the time it was too warm for this part of the year.
Sophie Travelair = Patrol 2013
8 weeks 12.000km Oregon-Alaska-Oregon
With a DIY foam air filter the rig runs well even in tropical rain = :moto:
Final drives: 1. at 5000km, 2. at 34.000km(+friction plates) 3. at 42.386km
transmission: 1. 40.000km. 2. installed
Engine: 1. 43.388km crank replacement.
Back swing broken: 50.460km. and solved :P

The Avatar are 2 rice grains stating life's essence:
"The most important you cannot see!"
=> Attitude makes the difference!

Snakeoil
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by Snakeoil » Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:09 pm

Yeah, I have no idea if there is sufficient clearance from the tub wall or anything to the rear of the kick starter to allow you to kick the bike with even the stock lever in place.

The Sven's point, if a kicker on that side with the hack over there will not work, then fab a lever that mounts to the same point, but with the proper geometry to allow it to exit on the right side and with correct placement relative to the frame to make it a hand lever. To start, you grab it and pull up quickly. Can't be any harder than cranking a Model T or an old tractor. Plus you'll have gobs of leverage.

Again, visualizing this at my desk. No idea if there is sufficient room/clearance for this.

It might just be easier to get a new gearbox and flywheel with a ring gear and install an electric starter.
Regards,
Rob
Certified Blatherer
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains

freepowerman
Comrade
Comrade

Post by freepowerman » Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:45 pm

Snakeoil, are you by chance using the pedal for the kickstarter on your machine? I love the idea and am going to try it on mine.
Thank you for the idea, I guess I should also thank samurai as he got the ball rolling with this post
Kevin.
Throw your GPS in the trash and ask for directions, you just might like the people you meet.

07 Desert Camo Gearup, Sidecar lights front and rear on bike, Led bulbs, 4 way flashers, Raceway dual shifters, barkbusters, stainless exhaust, late style (intake boots, rear brake switch and trunk lock), Ford fuel strainer, front drum brake, tapered wheel bearings, trailer hitch & C5 ignition (turning to points asap).

Snakeoil
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by Snakeoil » Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:23 pm

freepowerman wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:45 pm
Snakeoil, are you by chance using the pedal for the kickstarter on your machine? I love the idea and am going to try it on mine.
Thank you for the idea, I guess I should also thank samurai as he got the ball rolling with this post
Kevin.
No. My rig has an electric foot and that is my preferred method of starting. I've tried kick starting my bike and have never really been successful. I probably should try to figure out the secret. But I have 6 kick-only bikes and I don't need another to fill some kind of emotional need. :wink:

I do have a pedals on my '47 Knucklehead and '39 Indian Four. But they came that way from the factory.
Regards,
Rob
Certified Blatherer
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains

freepowerman
Comrade
Comrade

Post by freepowerman » Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:38 pm

Thank you Snakeoil, I like using the manual stuff and will save the button/electric for when I'm unable to use the kicker but it's always nice to have the option.
Kevin

Radlad
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Radlad » Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:02 pm

Forget about push bike pedals, you will hurt yourself. this is a common question in the UK
depends on clearance between sidecar chassis rail and full sweep of kick start arm. 2 ways of doing it without altering bike.a lot. First is to stand in sidecar and kick down with your heel cleaning rail and toe towards bike. Second is to get on bike normally and kick with your heel slightly towards bike and
Toe angled to sidecar. Wedge your instep on kicker bar. Works well once you get used to it but you sometimes have to saw an inch off the L/H footrest to safely clear your heel.
If you do this, drill and tap the end of the footrest for a bolt to secure a penny washer to stop the footrest rubber from sliding off.