Just found some cracks on front wheel, should I be concerned? (Moved)

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Re: Just found some cracks on front wheel, should I be concerned? (Moved)

Post by Tomcatfixer » Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:02 pm

I contacted my dealer who informed me that, since I paid this dealer out-of-pocket to replace my three cracked rims, that I would need to contact IMWA directly to inquire about compensation. I left an unreturned telephone message earlier this week. As the Magic 8-Ball prophesizes...

outlook-not-so-good.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Chad

Gordonsville, Virginia, USA

Current rides:
2015 cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 2003 Retro Solo, 2001 Patrol "Little Red Bear", 1999 Tourist "The RPOC", 1997 Deco, Mid-Nineties Tourist "The Heap", 1994 Honda VFR750F, 2007 BMW K1200GT

Previous rides:
2007 Honda VTR1000 FireStorm (Super Hawk in U.S.)
2001 Buell Blast! - - - - - - - 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
1993 Honda CBR600F2 - 1984 Yamaha FJ1100
Two different 1986 Yamaha FZX700S Fazers

siberman1
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by siberman1 » Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:01 pm

windmill wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:32 pm
ritchiej wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:16 pm
In regards to the NHTSA recall, 22V431, my dealer told me to contact Ural corporate directly [due to the fact that he will be on vacation for the first three weeks of September], to find out about sending my rims to Redmond for rebuild.

Well... I have left an email on their "info" link at, https://uralmotorcycles.typeform.com/, and then, two days later, I left a phone message at their Customer Support number, 425.702.8484, but no reply to either.

Is Ural, Redmond, slammed with Recall requests and so the lack of response, or, as I have read someplace else, Customer Support is slow to answer ?

Lack of communication from Ural for such an important NHTSA safety recall has me worried.
Redmond is a dozen people in total, with one person to handle everything related to warranties and the recall among other things. In another t on the subject, a dealer mentioned that all claims need to be made through a dealer for just that reason.
aduthie wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:49 pm
In case you're wondering, even we dealers haven't received a notification yet, because NHTSA kinda jumped the gun on making the recall information public before IMWA could be ready. This is not following the normal process, apparently. (It's my first actual recall as a dealer, mind you.)

Dealer notifications are supposed to go out July 15th. Owner notifications August 1st. (The recall notice already mentions the August 1 date, right?)

And now I'm going to be very blunt: Calling Jason at Ural directly DOES NOT HELP THE PROCESS. Please, let him do his job, which is to work with the dealers so that the dealers can work with the Ural owners. He kindly spent 10 minutes on the phone with me this morning to explain the situation, and I'm a pretty quick study. If he has to spent 10-20 minutes with every owner who skips past their favorite or nearest dealer... well, he won't be able to do his work. (Maybe send him a funny postcard in the mail, or some candy, or something. But please don't call him about this recall unless your dealer has refused to help you after August 1st. Which none of them should do.)

And now here's the bad news, and it shouldn't surprise you: They likely won't have enough parts for about six months. Remember the supply chain problems? They're still here, and Italy/Italcerchio is a part of it too. Hell, I waited about six months for some rims I ordered last year. But your dealer can enter the claim for you before then, and that gets you into the queue for when the parts become available. It will be first-filed, first-shipped, at that point. I'm not sure if we can actually file a claim already, or if we need to wait until July 15th or August 1st. I'll probably try to squeeze one in later today, though. (A used 2015 in inventory that had hairline cracks visible on the outsides of the rims.)

Meanwhile, if you want good news, there are no apparently no reported crashes nor injuries caused by splitting rims. I was genuinely surprised by the one rider who posted the photo of the centimeter-wide gap down the center of one of his rims -- and the tube still didn't go flat. (I was surprised he took so long to notice, but also surprised it didn't damage the tube.) We still want to fix these, obviously -- but even though I'm an anal-retentive mechanic and recovering mechanical engineer, it's not something I personally would worry about while riding, thanks to my observations over the past few yeasr. I'd still check for cracks every so often to make sure they're not opening up, though.
I just came back from my local "dealer". Bad news does not match what aduthie said or possibly what Barry said above.

My Ural Gear Up Vin was taken down and then (hopefully) sent to Ural Redmond for approval of the Recall Repair. Besides that I got a printed "Open Repair Order" with a date on it, fellow can't spell "FOAM" and part on email address. (PHOAM). Cripes. Two other "Big Wig Types" were hovering close to service desk because I wasn't buying their explanations, etc. Zero talking, just looking concerned. Good for PR, I spoze.

Here is the kicker;
Dealer wants my GU, takes wheels off of bike, stores bike for 5-6 weeks, and sends wheels to Redmond to be repaired as in Recall. No in-house @ dealer work done (or allowed?) and the 9-12 hours per wheel turns into 5-6 weeks estimate from RB Service Advisor. Bike gets "stored" someplace to gather dust and whatever else happens to a long-term storage for something they don't care about. Service Advisor did not believe Internet/SS reports of dealers actually doing the work. I told him I never heard anything about a 5-6 week period for the repair. To be honest, zero or negative vibes both sides.

I asked how many Urals "dealer" had that were affected by Recall. He said 2, 1 waiting for approval, and another trying to decide if there were a "convenient 5-6 weeks" to be without the bike. I was the 3rd Ural owner to surface here. I only know of about 4 -5 Urals in this whole SE part of state. They sell more XY&Z scooters, Royal Enfields, CFMoto ATVs, and (dealer namesake) Indian MC than anything. The most Urals I have seen there was 1 old 2009 Patrol and 3 "new ones", 1 from year 2021.

WTF is happening in other places that actually are a "real" Ural dealer? I can't imagine that UralNE, Heindl, or a few others need to wait for Redmond to fix wheels when that can do it themselves. All they need is Recall Approval, and the parts, if my thinking is correct. Anyone know anything different?

I could take wheels off myself at home, give them to dealer and the wait is the same. What a pile of ..... For my part, frustrated.
Call Redmond? Others do not get answers. Is any of this Recall planned? What about someone in BFE and no dealer?

Open comments? Opinions, other news, suggestions?

YMMV
Sent from my laptop using OEM fingers, ordinary Mouse, and LCD-screen
2014 полынь зеленый гU
2021 CForce 600 Tour
Сибирь Экспресс #2 - Sold 2021

Zero payments

ritchiej

Post by ritchiej » Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:06 pm

I agree with YMMV, that the recall notice does not match the actual time it will take to send the rims to Redmond, have them rebuilt, and then send them back to the dealers. This is in opposition to the statement made in the official NHTSA notice, "...remedy this condition on that date or within [3] days...". Is it known if most dealers will be sending the wheels to the main plant in Washington and not rebuilding them themselves ?

To give equal voice to IMZ Ural, I would like to hear from them, but as of September 7th, I still haven't heard back from Ural corporate, after more then one week, when both an email and phone call were made. Even with a limited staff someone should have gotten back by now.

I sincerely hope that a catastrophic failure doesen't have to happen before some movement is made on this recall. a foreboding

Previous
1998 Ural Tourist
Current
2015 Ural cT

lendrinkard
Hero of the Soviet Union 2022

Post by lendrinkard » Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:54 pm

Who doesn't love a good crack. Now that it is paid for by the mothership.
2012 Gear up - 130/40 jet, 3 shims, no mid-pipe, drilled slider, 2013 Branch pipes, all LED lights
2013 NOS Ural T - 130/42 jet, 2 shims, LED running lights, oil cooler

siberman1
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by siberman1 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:24 pm

ritchiej wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:06 pm
I agree with YMMV, that the recall notice does not match the actual time it will take to send the rims to Redmond, have them rebuilt, and then send them back to the dealers. This is in opposition to the statement made in the official NHTSA notice, "...remedy this condition on that date or within [3] days...". Is it known if most dealers will be sending the wheels to the main plant in Washington and not rebuilding them themselves ?

To give equal voice to IMZ Ural, I would like to hear from them, but as of September 7th, I still haven't heard back from Ural corporate, after more then one week, when both an email and phone call were made. Even with a limited staff someone should have gotten back by now.

I sincerely hope that a catastrophic failure doesen't have to happen before some movement is made on this recall. a foreboding
One problem that comes to mind is the bottleneck of repair/recall jobs all at one place for 1 (maybe 2) folks to do the work. There are clearly A+ Dealers, and nerly all the rest of dealers being C- or less. (read "sub-standard")
aduthie wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:21 pm
...snip....

The good news is that the availability of rims has been better than I'd expected, so I've got two customer bikes scheduled to come in. We're planning for one-week turnarounds on those, with a limit of one per week to keep me sane. (Except for people with two affected Urals, that is.)
If more dealers had qualified staff, more to do "Repair/Recall Fix", it would be easier for everyone.

Proverb: A bird in the hand makes blowing your nose difficult.
Proverb: Many hands make light work.
But then again, Proverb: Too many cooks spoil the broth
And Proverb: Let sleeping dogs lie.

Whatever,
YMMV
2014 полынь зеленый гU
2021 CForce 600 Tour

Zero payments

siberman1
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by siberman1 » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:49 pm

Update:
I received an email from Ural mothership, warranty extended to 10/10/22. I spoze that means I hafta go to the dealer before then and submit to THE LONG WAIT.

Nothing from the dealer. Course not, they spelled "foam" as PHome. I'll try to correct their error tomorrow. What fun.

Opinions vary. YMMV
2014 полынь зеленый гU
2021 CForce 600 Tour

Zero payments

El queso

Post by El queso » Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:35 pm

Spoke with my local shop and they need to have the wheels or bike and proof of ownership before they submit the claim to the mothership and order the parts. He also said not to expect a quick turnaround.

Sounds like some shops are equipped / capable of rebuilding wheels and other need to send the wheels off to complete the recall.
2013 Patrol T, the proletariat chariot