2018 Ural Gear Up Final Drive problem

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
DaNewbie

2018 Ural Gear Up Final Drive problem

Post by DaNewbie » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:15 pm

Hi y'all, I got a 2018 Ural Gear Up about a year and a half ago and am not a huge gearhead. It's been great however the guy I've had servicing it has been doing a sub-par job apparently. As I was riding it today the back kept wobbling when I shifted gears, which I thought was odd but figured it might be a balance issue as I noticed it had moved from my "balance" line.

However, when I went to fix that I noticed a quarter size puddle below the final drive, and more importantly I noticed two bolts missing and chunk gone from the top of the drive (see attached picture) along with almost no oil in it. I've got some oil ordered for it but I'm worried about the final drive. How screwed am I and what kind of bolt is used in the final drive so I can get a replacement for the missing bolts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lofty
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Re: 2018 Ural Gear Up Final Drive problem

Post by Lofty » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:24 pm

It'd be worth your time to remove and disassemble the final drive, if for no other reason than to examine the condition of the ring and pinion gears.

Personally, I'd want to replace the part(s) that have missing metal. Just a thought.
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

nomadrider

Post by nomadrider » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:44 pm

year and a half ? did they come with a 2 year warranty back then ? it might be worth checking if its covered ... its not something to slap some JB weld on unless its an emergency to get to town
2020 Gear Up Satin Burgundy Living in the "Frozen Tundra" of Green Bay Wi :cheers:

2012 Kawasaki Vaquero
2004 Kawasaki Nomad
1989 Kawasaki KLR 650
1982 Kawasaki KZ500
1980 Kawasaki KZ440
1970 Honda CL 175
1966 Honda CA 160 Baby Dream

aduthie

Post by aduthie » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:47 pm

At a minimum you’ll need a new final drive case and new studs. This happened as a result of not keeping after the final drive mounting nuts’ tightness. It’s part of the “check ‘all’ fasteners for tightness” part of the periodic maintenance. Under warranty, Ural would typically approve a replacement final drive assembly. Out of warranty, it should be cheaper to have the F.D. rebuilt, even if you need to ship it to a dealer.
Andrew Duthie / Nashville Motorcycle Repair / Nashville, TN

UralRookie

Post by UralRookie » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:25 pm

My 2017 Patrol with about 7000 km just had the final drive replaced. The bolt casings broke, bolts snapped, etc. This came less than a year after the rear bike wheel connections at the hub did the same thing. My bike is out of warranty but Ural covered the repair. I was told that these two problems are known issues. I wouldn’t ride it until it’s fixed if I were you. Just before mine went it felt like I was riding on a waterbed.

vetsurginc
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by vetsurginc » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:39 am

Found several of my studs were loosening during one of my tightness checks (nuts were where I had left them, but had backed away from swingarm).

Safety wiring the nuts stopped everybody from rotating.
Doug
2011 GearUp Vasily (Васи́лий) Main 125, idle 38, Raceway needles, and stock exhaust, MKIII air filter
2010 R1200RT Gustav, now gone to another owner.

DaNewbie

Post by DaNewbie » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:47 pm

UralRookie wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:25 pm
My 2017 Patrol with about 7000 km just had the final drive replaced. The bolt casings broke, bolts snapped, etc. This came less than a year after the rear bike wheel connections at the hub did the same thing. My bike is out of warranty but Ural covered the repair. I was told that these two problems are known issues. I wouldn’t ride it until it’s fixed if I were you. Just before mine went it felt like I was riding on a waterbed.
That is a perfect description of how it feels when riding. I wish I couldn't ride it until I fix it, unfortunately it is my only mode of transportation, so I'm just trying to take it easy and not go over 30 mph (above that is when it really starts feeling like a waterbed). I wonder if my model is also covered for that. Did you contact them through their website or your dealer?

UralRookie

Post by UralRookie » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:43 pm

Please be careful. My dealer contacted them and I was originally told it wouldn’t be covered but then I got in touch with head office through the Facebook page. Between that and my dealer’s efforts we got it covered. Perhaps tighten all you can for now until you can get it fixed properly and that will keep it going. The day it all gave way I heard it first. Sounded like some grinding. At first I thought it was the transmission but later in the ride it was clear it was the back wheel / final drive.