Trouble jump starting bike....

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
WiskeyJaR
Party Member
Party Member

Question on jumpstarting bike...

Post by WiskeyJaR » Sat May 08, 2021 9:26 pm

Seems like for what ever reason I can not post under the “general hammering and wrenching” group, will post question here....

After storing bike all winter, jump started bike using a battery charger. Bike started, drove it for 20-30 miles, shut it off, tried to restart and nothing. Lights come on, headlight bright, lights on dash are on. Will not even attempt to turn over or crank at all.
2018 Gear Up “Sahara”
Oregon

Claus
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Re: Question on jumpstarting bike...

Post by Claus » Sun May 09, 2021 6:37 am

Does your start relay click when you hit the starter button? Is your kill switch in " run" position? (don´t get me wrong! During my 20 yrs of owning a shop I had many customers asking me for road assistance, and when I arrived after half an hour driving it was just the kill switch)
owned bikes: 93 Ural rig domestic model, BMW R100GS, Suzuki GSX1100G rig, BMW R100R rig with Ural sidecar, Ural rig with BMW drivetrain under construction,

WiskeyJaR
Party Member
Party Member

Post by WiskeyJaR » Sun May 09, 2021 12:44 pm

*chuckles*. Yea the kill switch was first thing I checked, wouldn’t be first time it was pushed unaware.

I get no noise at all when I push the start button. Turn on the key, dash does it’s normal start up, light come on, needle spins, etc... but when I push the start button, no sound of any kind.
I checked the fuses, all the little fuses are good on a visual check. The little black cubes in the fuse box I’m not sure about.
Shop says they booked until first week of next month 😒
2018 Gear Up “Sahara”
Oregon

WiskeyJaR
Party Member
Party Member

Trouble jump starting bike....

Post by WiskeyJaR » Sun May 09, 2021 12:53 pm

For what ever reason I could not post in here yesterday, this is what I posted in the
Watering hole”.....

After storing bike all winter, jump started bike using a battery charger. Bike started, drove it for 20-30 miles, shut it off, tried to restart and nothing. Lights come on, headlight bright, lights on dash are on. Will not even attempt to turn over or crank at all.

*chuckles*. Yea the kill switch was first thing I checked, wouldn’t be first time it was pushed unaware.

I get no noise at all when I push the start button. Turn on the key, dash does it’s normal start up, light come on, needle spins, etc... but when I push the start button, no sound of any kind.
I checked the fuses, all the little fuses are good on a visual check. The little black cubes in the fuse box I’m not sure about.
Shop says they booked until first week of next month 😒
2018 Gear Up “Sahara”
Oregon

Eric N

Post by Eric N » Sun May 09, 2021 1:11 pm

Will the bike kickstart?

The black cubes on the fuse panel are relays.

Your wiring diagram can be found at: https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... 281%29.pdf

If you short the starter will it engage?
2018 Gear Up 825cc
2013 Retro Solo
2001 Patrol - Sold

stagewex

Re: Trouble jump starting bike....

Post by stagewex » Sun May 09, 2021 1:55 pm

How's your battery? Just because your lights may work...
Stagewex

2019 Honda CRF450L (Elec Start)
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)

petermertos

Post by petermertos » Sun May 09, 2021 2:34 pm

Are you close to Portland, OR area?
2013 GU
2012 Solo
1999 BC

Portland, OR

WiskeyJaR
Party Member
Party Member

Post by WiskeyJaR » Sun May 09, 2021 2:54 pm

About 3 hour drive from Portland, the dealership there is now closed. Raceway in Salem, about an hour drive from me, is where I bought the bike. They are booked up until the first week of next month.

Battery is fully charged, used the charger to jump start the bike, after wards is when the problem started happening.

Have not tried to kickstart it as I have a foot grate in the way.

Thanks @Eric for diagram.
2018 Gear Up “Sahara”
Oregon

S 854
Commissar
Commissar

Post by S 854 » Sun May 09, 2021 7:02 pm

The jump start with the charger... I’ll assume it’s one of those chargers that has multiple output settings?

I know just enough about electrics to be dangerous... however I’ve always heard to jump start a bike you use a battery only... as in shutting off the cars engine so ya don’t get too many amps racing through the bikes system...

Could be you fried some piece of the electrical system...

I’d start by swapping out the relays...

If you jump across the starters posts will the starter spin?
'07 Arctic: The Russian Raucous Ship

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out...

petermertos

Post by petermertos » Sun May 09, 2021 7:34 pm

S 854 wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 7:02 pm
The jump start with the charger... I’ll assume it’s one of those chargers that has multiple output settings?

I know just enough about electrics to be dangerous... however I’ve always heard to jump start a bike you use a battery only... as in shutting off the cars engine so ya don’t get too many amps racing through the bikes system...

Could be you fried some piece of the electrical system...

I’d start by swapping out the relays...

If you jump across the starters posts will the starter spin?
Agree, the fried starter relays is my first guess.
2013 GU
2012 Solo
1999 BC

Portland, OR

jeffsaline

Post by jeffsaline » Mon May 10, 2021 1:08 am

Not knowing anything specific about your 2018 starting system isn't gonna stop me from commenting. A guess is a relay failed as has already been suggested. Maybe the reason for the failure is not excessive volts but the opposite, too few volts. For a general idea... volts and amps are like a teeter totter. When volts go down (like from a discharged battery), amps need to go up to do the same amount of work. So if the starter button was pressed with a discharged battery maybe the extra amps arc'd at some contacts in a relay and the contact points no longer make electrical contact.

If I wanted to check a starter I'd put the transmission in neutral. Then I'd roll the bike a few feet just to make sure it was really in neutral. I would then make a little jumper wire about 3-4 inches long from some 12 or 14 gauge insulated wire. I'd strip both ends for about 1/2" and bend it into a "U" shape. I'd put one end on the small terminal on the back of the starter solenoid where there is probably a small black wire connected. While touching the small terminal I would brush the other end of the "U" shaped wire across the nut holding the larger wire to the back of the starter solenoid. This is the one with the wire coming from the battery positive terminal. The starter should crank when you provide positive battery voltage to the small terminal. If the starter cranks it proves the starter and points the trouble as between the starter solenoid and the starter button or ignition switch.

Best,

Jeff
Jeff Saline
2010 Gear Up
-Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick Two
-Just because something isn't true, no reason you can't believe it. Hub McCann Second Hand Lions
-Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

Claus

Post by Claus » Mon May 10, 2021 3:07 am

jeffsaline wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 1:08 am
When volts go down (like from a discharged battery), amps need to go up to do the same amount of work. So if the starter button was pressed with a discharged battery maybe the extra amps arc'd at some contacts in a relay and the contact points no longer make electrical contact.
Correct. Halve the voltage means doubeling the amperage.

If there is not a single click from a relay, I´d just follow what Jeff wrote. If the starter cranks then, check for relay failure. If relay o.k check for failure of starter button and connectors. (and fuses, of course...)

You might want to check your battery connectors and their opposite sides (frame for minus and starter motor for plus) for tight and corrosion free fit,
I have it very often with newish Harleys that the minus connector on frame (gearbox) is corroded. Everything looks fine but the bike woudn´t start.
owned bikes: 93 Ural rig domestic model, BMW R100GS, Suzuki GSX1100G rig, BMW R100R rig with Ural sidecar, Ural rig with BMW drivetrain under construction,

Wanderrad
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Wanderrad » Mon May 10, 2021 4:39 am

I may have missed this, but does the bike start if you jump start it again? If so you may not have gotten enough charge on your battery from the 20-30 minute ride. If that is the case I would leave it on a trickle charger overnight.
-Scot

Northern NY

Current rides:
2018 Gear Up, Olive Drab Matte

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Mon May 10, 2021 12:44 pm

I think I'm right, does not the 2018 have 3 relays, 1 is worked by kill switch (BRS), 2 by alternator charge light (red light on dash), 3 is the actual starter relay. 1 & 2 prevent 3 working if not in correct position - viz, BRS hax to be in 'run', charge light has to be lit (engine not running). I had issues couple of years ago with the contacts in the relay sockets, most were surprisingly loose so had one or more bad connections to the relays. Just an idea (?)
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

WiskeyJaR
Party Member
Party Member

Post by WiskeyJaR » Mon May 10, 2021 4:25 pm

Ok....now I am *really confused”. Went to bike this morning and was gonna video record the lights on dash to show folks what I was talking about, and bike started right up. Honest Pete’s, the kill button was ALWAYS set to run, as that was first thing I checked in the first place.
Anyways, I tried, but can not post video of dash when starting bike this morning.....will be taking it out for a run this afternoon, after get off work. Dash lights up as normal, started up with limited effort.
2018 Gear Up “Sahara”
Oregon