New to me 2007 Ural Patrol, help me gurus with upgrades, tips and tricks.

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
Desantnik-VDV
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Re: New to me 2007 Ural Patrol, help me gurus with upgrades, tips and tricks.

Post by Desantnik-VDV » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:30 pm

He is still trying to sell your rig :D : https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/m ... 65261.html
Alex
2007 GearUp - BMD (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMD-3)
38 idle/130 main/ 2 shims
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The rest is just history... 4 previous Urals, BMW airheads, bigger Hondas, bigger sidecars...

larsenf

Post by larsenf » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:35 am

Looks like I do need to rebuild the final drive. Is this wear normal or is it preventable? Bike is at 29000km
signal-2021-03-02-223445.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ReCycled
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by ReCycled » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:18 am

Not normal if they'd been greased.
David B.
'07 Ural Twourist

rougaroo
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by rougaroo » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:03 am

You can definitely rebuild the final drive yourself. Instructions again at myural.com and on LeMoto YouTube videos. One thing to check is that if your fd drive spline gets pointy, your pusher hub is probably pointy, too. With the general condition of the bike in the pictures you've shown, I'm guessing the PO didn't switch out the wheels, so check the pusher hub. Easy fix, just switch with the spare or sidecar wheel, if they're good. Longer term, replace the hub on that wheel (buying list: hub, spokes, nipples).

Since you have experience wrenching, you're probably going to be amazed at how straight-forward these bikes are and how generally easy they are to get back into rideable shape.

Couple of things I haven't seen mentioned that you asked about - the tubes running from the air filter to the carbs are called "branch tubes" in Uralese. The newer one-part ones are much easier to fit than the older 3-part ones. Dealer part, when you want them. And for driveshaft splines use Honda Moly 90, Krytox, or other specialized spline lubricant, not grease.

Good luck - looks like a worthy project.

Rougaroo
2003 Tourist - lotsa upgrades
2004 Troyka - work in progress

S 854
Commissar
Commissar

Post by S 854 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:54 am

larsenf wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:35 am
Looks like I do need to rebuild the final drive. Is this wear normal or is it preventable? Bike is at 29000km
...somewhat preventable...

Get yourself a couple o-rings (size 222 ...IIRC...) and place them in the groove inboard of the drive splines before greasing the splines and installing the wheels... (I too use Honda Moly)... put one on the FD splines and another on the hack splines...
C10C7963-3733-4C2F-9322-554ED84E3F48.jpeg

The o-ring will help keep the grease in place and also help keep debris and water out...

Last time I replaced my pusher tire I still had a good coat of grease in the drive splines... 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'07 Arctic: The Russian Raucous Ship

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out...

larsenf

Post by larsenf » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:12 pm

S 854 wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:54 am
larsenf wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:35 am
...somewhat preventable...

Get yourself a couple o-rings (size 222 ...IIRC...) and place them in the groove inboard of the drive splines before greasing the splines and installing the wheels... (I too use Honda Moly)... put one on the FD splines and another on the hack splines...
C10C7963-3733-4C2F-9322-554ED84E3F48.jpeg

The o-ring will help keep the grease in place and also help keep debris and water out...

Last time I replaced my pusher tire I still had a good coat of grease in the drive splines... 8)
great tip, this is why I post here, thank you!

The pusher hub is toast, I plan on swapping to the spare and searching for a new hub.

windmill

Post by windmill » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:02 pm

Just a fyi, it you ride a lot in wet condition or live in a coastal area, straight moly will be inadequate. I would suggest a 50-50 mix or straight greese for those conditions.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018/20 M70

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:52 pm

Between Billy G's site and my rebuild thread, you have all the info and pics you need to rebuild the FD.

Mobil 1 red synthetic grease keeps the drive splines alive and doesn't w@$# out.

larsenf

Post by larsenf » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:45 pm

BinDerSmokDat wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:52 pm
Between Billy G's site and my rebuild thread, you have all the info and pics you need to rebuild the FD.

Mobil 1 red synthetic grease keeps the drive splines alive and doesn't w@$# out.
Great thread, ive already looked at it.

A little update, I cleaned and painted the fuel tank, rebuilt the carbs and took it on a short ride down my street. Very short, it was pretty much unrideable with the handle bar shake. The front tire was bald and the bottom part of the dampener was cocked sideway on the pin so it wasnt engaging. Swapped my spare tire over and realigned the dampener. Replaced my driveshaft u-joint and took it for a couple short rides, no handlebar shake, but plenty of other issues.

The jets in the carbs were 130 and 42, spark plugs were pretty black. Idle is inconsistent like its lean, no air leaks though. I'm going to do a valve adjustment then fine tune the idle mixture and sync the carbs.

The front brake gets stuck, the pins are rusty. The drag boiled the fluid and suddenly lost my front brake temporarily. I need to rebuild the caliper and ill be changing in some new dot 4 too.

The clutch is slipping, any advice on parts, I know the clutch gets ridden hard on these things offroad, do I just stick with oem for 2007?

Good amount of slop in the splines on the chair driveshaft so I guess they'll get replaced soon too.

This bike has been ridden from Oregon to South America and was shipped to Europe (Austria I think) and it certainly shows. It was last registered in Oregon in 2011, because well, who cares when you're not in America anymore. When it was finally shipped back 2 years or so ago it just sat in Los Angeles. Pretty interesting history and I dont mind having to rebuild pretty much everything on such a simple machine.

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:28 am

For the clutch definitely get the newer style plates with the holes.
While some people have been concerned about the flexibility of these plates and the impact it has on the friction material, the general consensus seems to be that the holes allow for more cooling and thus keeps the plates alive longer...or at the very least as long as the old ones.
My new style with holes lasted longer than my original ones without, and I ride more off-road than the average Uralist. So take that anecdotal evidence with a grain of salt.

For the front brakes, don't use an aggressive metallic pad, the non-metallic grab and lock up the front wheel just fine.
The metallic pads wear the rotor faster and make more heat, adding to the fade you mentioned.
I had my caliper lock up, no rust on the pins, but I ran the pads down more than I should have and they developed a "crud line" on the pistons from being extended out past the calipers and they didn't retract properly.
I didn't need to rebuild them just cleaned them up and put new pads and it was fine.
Get a set of two speed bleeders (split it with another Uralist as you only need one) and it makes bleeding the brakes with new fluid much easier.

I've found that I run a little rich, which gets to be a problem when you run off-road at low speeds and the engine gets hot. You want to run just the teeniest bit towards lean (I'll catch crap for this but it's true) on the low end if you plan on off-roading so that when you are trying to get up a hill with a hot engine it will not run too rich and bog down.

Where is the "slop in the splines" on the chair driveshaft?
At the big slip joint? They are always loose there/they all do that.
Again, grease well with Mobil 1 and just ride it.
I can't recall anyone wearing those down to the point of needing replacement.

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:35 am

Just a thought, check your 2WD driveshaft U-joint at the chair swing arm and at the FD yoke.
Excessive wear in those joints can make the drive shaft slip joint seem extra sloppy.

larsenf

Post by larsenf » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:36 pm

BinDerSmokDat wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:28 am
Where is the "slop in the splines" on the chair driveshaft?
At the big slip joint? They are always loose there/they all do that.
Again, grease well with Mobil 1 and just ride it.
I can't recall anyone wearing those down to the point of needing replacement.
If I grab the shaft at the slip joint I can move it up and down some, it's not in the ujoints but in the slip joint. The male splines look unworn however. I wanted to see if that's normal before I spend 150$ on new shafts.

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:34 pm

That's about right.
There has to be some play because of the basic design of the shaft and the fact that both wheels are on swingarms that frequently move independent of one another.

If you pull the two small bolts holding the 2WD yoke to the FD, you can easily pull out the stub shaft. Clean and grease the male and female splines with a good water resistant grease, like I said my fav for stuff like that is Mobil 1.
Don't go crazy, just a good dab on the end of the male splines and then work it in/out to coat the female splines. Don't try to pack the splines to eliminate the slop, it won't.