Nomenclature confusion, compliance fitting, mounting flange

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
jvan1954
Comrade
Comrade

Nomenclature confusion, compliance fitting, mounting flange

Post by jvan1954 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:36 pm

What is a compliance fitting? As I read this forum I was under the impression that it was the rubber adapter/flange between the carb and intake. Mine is cracked, there happened to be an old one in good shape in the pile of parts that came with the bike so I'm still in the wind. Trying to order two replacements is when I realized, yet again, that I have no idea whats up. There is nothing in any of the parts lists through IMZ, Raceway or Ural of NE that mentions compliance fitting. (at least that I could find) I ordered my mounting flanges. Where is/what is a compliance fitting? Thanks again for all your collective help.
there is no problem so complex, nor situation so dire, that its solution can not be found in the skillful application of high explosives.
Ride a 2013 ural t
past loves
1954 pan
75 and 77 shovels
75 norton 850 commando
69 sportster
68 650 triumph
you get the idea

GHGoodwin
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: Nomenclature confusion, compliance fitting, mounting flange

Post by GHGoodwin » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:45 pm

Flange between carbs/TB and head.
Hal

2011/12 Tourist - "The Russian"
It's a long list.
2014 Patrol - "Blackbird"

rivers

Post by rivers » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:51 pm

My take on them is the same as yours. I bought new compliance fittings (via phone) for an 06 from Raceways and they understood what I wanted and sent the correct parts.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:23 pm

jvan1954 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:36 pm
What is a compliance fitting?

There is nothing in any of the parts lists through IMZ, Raceway or Ural of NE that mentions compliance fitting.
It is the term used by some forum members here when referring to the intake flange assembly that sits between the head and the carburetor or throttle body. It's an important spare to have on hand, as you've discovered. I have one in my tool bag right now.

The absence of the term "compliance fitting" from dealer parts lists occurs because they use the correct factory part name (again, "intake flange".)

E.g.,
https://www.uralne.com/intake-flange-set/

Most folks will know what you mean when inquiring about and/or ordering the so-called compliance fitting.
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

jvan1954
Comrade
Comrade

Post by jvan1954 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:31 pm

Thank you to all that responded, I feel a little less stupid now. Just a little, but WTH I'll take it.
there is no problem so complex, nor situation so dire, that its solution can not be found in the skillful application of high explosives.
Ride a 2013 ural t
past loves
1954 pan
75 and 77 shovels
75 norton 850 commando
69 sportster
68 650 triumph
you get the idea

Eric N
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Eric N » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:52 pm

Compliance fitting is a general term for the rubber intake flange that connects a carburetor to a head. I'd encountered it long before playing with Urals.

Some bikes have carbs that bolt directly to the heads. Others use a rubber intake flange that complies to the shape of the desired carburetor.
2018 Gear Up
2013 Retro Solo
2001 Patrol - Sold

aduthie
Comrade
Comrade

Post by aduthie » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:29 pm

Ural does use the “compliance fitting” term, but the part name in their system isn’t that. #16 in the air filter diagram, “Flange КОК-IP0175”, part number IMZ-8.128-01811-10. $20.99 is the MSRP, each.

Carb holder is another common name for them.
Andrew Duthie / Nashville Motorcycle Repair / Nashville, TN

chaos2
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by chaos2 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:43 am

I bought these about 6 years ago because my carbs kept getting kicked or knocked loose. They've held up well and hold the carbs tight. Good price too.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003CJQOEC/?c ... 617K&psc=1
Past afflictions include limey motocars and bikes, R60/2, R65ls, & a Citroen.
Now a DB Haanjo and Canyon CF SL Endurace, '87 K75s,
and a rusty 2012 GU bought new
dual K&N cones on homemade intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles, Modtop exhaust, E starter delete
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

Msblu79

Post by Msblu79 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:25 am

If you do order new "compliance fittings" from Raceway, for example, I would suggest also getting the phenolic insulators and a couple extra gaskets and install it all with longer bolts. The reduction in heat exposure will help the fittings last forever and the carbs will run cooler. They also offer "Perch rings " which help keep the intake branch pipes from being knocked off and leaking. Peace of mind kinda stuff, once done you won't have to bother with them again for a long time. :)
2010 Black Patrol 92,000km's
Modtop airbox, 2013 branch pipes, Perch rings, Yamaha petcock, Drilled slides, Gossie needles, 145 mains, 45 pilots, insulated manifolds, Modtop pushrods, Dual FMF exhaust, PA Multi-spark system w/ VOES, Spin on filter conversion, 33mpg, Royal Purple fluids.

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:48 am

++++! on adding the phenolic insulators when you buy and install your new compliance fitting. You'll never deal with that area again.
Mine were worn and cracked from the heat after just two years. Added the phenolics and no issues or problems in 11 years... same compliance fittings.

The perch rings are nice to have but your '13 came with the newer one-piece rubber hosing so maybe not such a big deal unless you are in the habit or removing them often. Perch's are cheap.

Prior to '13 the 'hose" was a 3-piece thing. It was easy to knock it off with your left foot if you are gangly like me. Or maybe just knocked-off a little bit and letting air in making your rig run like crap. I upgraded to what you have and installed the perch rings too.

I can't remember the last time I needed to take the hose off on either side, maybe when I swapped the battery 3-4 years ago and it was in the way?
I don't think I needed longer bolts but it's been a long time. If you are ordering from Raceway or other dealer who knows what they are doing I'd ask.
IMG_5337.JPG
IMG_5338.JPG
IMG_5339.JPG

If you look closely forward of the carb you can see a thin line between the rubber compliance fitting and the phenolic block (usually red when they are new) which is bolted directly to the head intake, insulating the rubber from the metal and heat of the engine.
IMG_5340.JPG
IMG_5341.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stagewex

Current Herd all running amok:
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
2006 Honda "Big Ruckus" PS250
2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:38 am

Ditto with what Stage Wex said.
Get the Raceway perch rings, the Yamaha compliance fittings and the phenolic spacers.
Put a thin bead of copper permatex on the intake flange of the head and on the phenolic block, let it cure a little (but not fully).
Install block and compliance fitting torquing about 80-90%.
Let cure some more then torque down 100%.

Intake flange>copper>phenolic>copper>complance fitting>carb

You've goof-proofed that part of the bike and it will last a decade or more of regular use.
Or about 9 years of off-road abuse as my Yamaha compliance fittings have a small crack and need to be replaced.
Plus the rings on the carb make it way easier to firmly attach the branch pipes to the carb.

See my signature for more perch ring install advice.

jvan1954
Comrade
Comrade

Post by jvan1954 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:50 pm

thank you all for the tips, I live on this thing and my goal when doing even routine service chores is to do whatever I can to make her as bullet proof as I reasonably can. Every time I wrench on it I learn something from you all, either reading old posts (freak that I am I've worked my way backwards to page 92), when that fails its good to be able to pick the big ole brains that hang out here
Ride a 2013 ural t
past loves
1954 pan
75 and 77 shovels
75 norton 850 commando
69 sportster
68 650 triumph
you get the idea

jaybird
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov
Location: The foothills of the Forked River Mountains, West Barnegat NJ (Do It In The Pines!) 08005

Post by jaybird » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:17 am

FWIW,I’ll add my two cents;
Perch rings,I have a pair that came in with a bunch of NOS parts I bought. I’ve never had the need to install them, between the my GearUp and Retro I’ve racked up over 170k Kilos, I’ve never “kicked” a branch pipe off or had one “pop off” either. I’m not saying that they’re no good or not to use them, I just never found them to be necessary.

The Phenolic heat blockers; while I think they’re probably useful and effective, I bought a pair about 10 or 11 years ago, they were back ordered or lost in the mail or something. In the meantime I want to ride. I coated the mating surfaces with high temperature black RTV, figuring I’d install the phenolics when they came in. I still have the same compliance fittings on that engine and the phenolics are still new, uninstalled, in my parts bin. It doesn’t get overly hot where I am but I do run that rig in the woods, which can make an air cooled engine run hot, and I use that rig to ride around at many large auctions and swap meets every year at slow speeds, also hot, and I still have the same compliance fittings.
I’m not saying that they’re no good or not to install them, just relating my experience.
They are cheap though, and no real reason to not use them.

Happy trails,
Jaybird
2005 Gear-Up, Mr. Nat_ural 108,000+ Kilometers and counting
2013 Retro, Black beauty, AKA Lucky "13"
1995 Olive Tourist
1975 Enfield Diesel Bullet
2008 Enfield Bullet 500
1974 BMW R 75/6
Etc.

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:10 am

I think the first idea for the Perch Rings was someone using tuna fish cans or something similar, sliced in half. Owner had had it knocking his hose off with his feet.
Then one of the vendors or dealers, maybe the original owner of Raceway (Jim P.) started making them. They were very innovative back then throwing out product after product.

The heat-blocks I first saw on their website but that might be a Ural part/accessory. I don't know who thought of that but it was a darn good idea.
Stagewex

Current Herd all running amok:
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
2006 Honda "Big Ruckus" PS250
2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)