Stumper clutch issue

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
Subsnowden
Comrade General
Comrade General

Stumper clutch issue

Post by Subsnowden » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:12 pm

I’m back again with another breakdown adventure. Last weekend my clutch cable broke at the lever end during a relaxing shift to 2nd. I turned the bike off and coasted off to the side of the road which fortunately happened to be motorcycle only parking at the vintage bike show I was attending. So of course many people witnessed the Ural doing what it does best...breaking. No problem, I thought, I have a spare clutch cable with me. I’ll just run back to camp, grab it, swap it, back in business. Right?
Wrong. The (new) clutch cable was way too tight. It was a real struggle to get it into the lever and get everything reassembled. All the adjustments were at their absolute minimum and the clutch lever feels like a midget it pulling the other end. Now here’s the kicker, the clutch is basically always engaged. I can shift gears and go to reverse and neutral with the clutch lever fully released. I thought maybe when the cable snapped that my clutch shot back with such force it knocked my clutch rod square peg out of the square hole. Nope. I’m able to get it lined up and locked in just fine. I have removed the clutch twice now and the transmission 3 times and every time it seems like I have “too much” clutch rod. The thrust bearing shaft is seating on the clutch rod properly, the plunger is resting on the thrust bearing properly. The plunger is sticking out about 1/4 inch from the back of the transmission using my eyecrometer. The clutch arm isn’t bent, the cable is the exact same length as my old one. I did recently put a new clutch and rebuilt transmission in about 6 or 700 miles ago and everything seemed to be working well during that time. I have called Crawford, Holopaw, and Heindl and they are all at a loss. I also understand it’s hard to diagnose over the phone.
Any ideas are welcome. I haven’t listed everything I’ve tried or verified because I’ve already typed enough so I’ll cross that bridge as suggestions emerge.
Jon
Nomad
2015 Ural Gear Up

VWK75S
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: Stumper clutch issue

Post by VWK75S » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:17 am

Pictures of each point might help.
John
The Ural's made Maine a much bigger state.

2009 GearUp 140,000kms
2007 Retro 20,000kms
1991 VWK75S 110,000miles

Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by Albuquralque » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:50 am

Do you know the part number of both the cables?
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Darrell - Albuquralque
2014 Patrol - Babe the Blue Ox
EFI Map OR 1.02
Throttle Body Vacuum Ports
K&N Air Filter
Raceway 2-into-1 Header (Right Side)
Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM)

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:51 am

I changed the original clutch-cable on my 2007 a few years when I ran out of adjustment. It stretched rather than broke like in your situation. I ordered from Terry and after taking off the old one it was way, way shorter than the old one when laid out side-by-side. Now I realize that a cable does stretch to a point but not like this including the protective sheath. I called Terry to ask him if he perhaps sent me the wrong part. He said that Ural had changed vendors and this was/is the only cable available now, same exact part number but clearly not the same physical cable. What to do? I went to the local dealer who happened to have a 2015 on the showroom floor and observed that they navigated the clutch-cable a different way around the frame than originally. Took a bunch of pictures with my phone and duplicated at home. THAT made the difference and I was motoring again after a few stop-and-go adjustments around the block. Mentioning this because of the possibility you might have made a different turn in your reinstallation there isn't a lot of forgiveness depending on what "stock" clutch cable you may have as a spare.

It also sounds like your cable broke from something mechanical and not wear if I'm reading this right. 2015 is certainly not a proper service life.

The de-compression cable on my '91 xr250 broke after a hard fall in the woods a day before the JDH a few weeks ago. Ironically after setting it by hand (with no cable) it starts better now than with the cable:

It's a "leg-saver" (kick-start only) but really, without it... it starts better.
IMG_1894.JPG
IMG_1891.JPG
After 28 years she finally gave-up-the-ghost. No complaints.
IMG_1892.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stagewex

Current Herd all running amok:
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
1969 BMW r60/2 US model (Kick Start only)

jaybird
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin
Location: The foothills of the Forked River Mountains, West Barnegat NJ (Do It In The Pines!) 08005

Post by jaybird » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:43 am

The clutch cable for the Retro/M70 is a longer cable than the GearUp Et al, it was my understanding that that cable is the new replacement for all models.
Maybe one of the dealers can confirm this.
I second what Mike Wex said about the routing, you may just need to take a different path.

Happy trails,
Jaybird
2005 Gear-Up, Mr. Nat_ural 108,000+ Kilometers and counting
2013 Retro, Black beauty, AKA Lucky "13"
1995 Olive Tourist
1975 Enfield Diesel Bullet
2008 Enfield Bullet 500
1974 BMW R 75/6
Etc.

Subsnowden
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Subsnowden » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:04 pm

I don’t know the part number for both cables but they were the exact same cables when comparing them a couple months ago. Routing has made zero difference. It was routed appropriately to begin with and any variations have caused no change. I also agree that something mechanical happened but I can’t find anything broken, missing, out of alignment, etc. Transmission and clutch are coming back out tomorrow for another inspection.

I will try to post pics but is a PITA on mobile
Jon
Nomad
2015 Ural Gear Up

Subsnowden
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Subsnowden » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:11 pm

Anyone happen to know what the length of a 2015 clutch rod should be?
Jon
Nomad
2015 Ural Gear Up

Subsnowden
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Subsnowden » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:25 am

I have verified my clutch rod length is correct. 5 and 9/10 inches by micrometer. Anyone feel like posting a few pictures of different clutch plungers sticking out of the back of the transmission to compare?
Jon
Nomad
2015 Ural Gear Up

Lokiboy

Post by Lokiboy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:34 am

To get the clutch cable and parts to fit, yep loosen the adjustment nut above the tranny

Then, unscrew the clutch lever and attach the cable. Now, pivot the lever back in place and insert the screw.

As for the clutch rod, a possibly is that it’s not properly seated in the clutch plate.
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
90,000 km and counting

Peter Pan
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Peter Pan » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:35 pm

square of clutch release needle sitting on top of the spring disc (not resting inside the nest)? Sometimes it is nasty to settle well.
I use a dentist's tweezer as it reaches deep into the clutch push rod opening
Sophie Travelair = Patrol 2013 =>43.388km+nacked :shock: :pot:
8 weeks 12.000km Oregon-Alaska-Oregon
With a DIY foam air filter the rig runs well even in tropical rain = :moto:
Final drives: 1. at 5000km, 2. at 34.000km(+friction plates) 3. at 42.386km
transmission: 1. 40.000km. 2. installed
Engine: 1.43.388km :gahhh:

The Avatar are 2 rice grains stating life's essence:
"The most important you cannot see!"
=> Attitude makes the difference!

Subsnowden
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Subsnowden » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:08 pm

The square end is going in the square hole. 100%.
Jon
Nomad
2015 Ural Gear Up

GHGoodwin

Post by GHGoodwin » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:16 pm

Put a plastic straw over the rod. You can insert it and the rotate it until it "drops" into the square hole. Bamboo skewer into center holds rod in place while removing straw.
Hal

2011/12 Tourist - "The Russian"
It's a long list.
2014 Patrol - "Blackbird"

Subsnowden
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Subsnowden » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:54 pm

Fixed it! I put a shorter clutch rod in and everything is working and feels great. I don’t know why that fixed it but right now I’m just happy it’s working.

And don’t worry everyone. The square peg is in the square hole
Jon
Nomad
2015 Ural Gear Up