Type V Ignition Dead?

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
astroboy
Party Member
Party Member

Type V Ignition Dead?

Post by astroboy » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:19 am

Hi folks, haven't posted in quite a while cause my rig's been running great for months at a time! I was about due for catastrophic failure though, I guess. I was running pretty hard keeping up with some buddies on 2 wheels in a sustained left turn at speed when my ignition cut out.
I've had issues that felt exactly like this a few times before. About 6 months ago, it was a blown fuse. About 3 years ago, the bolt holding the interrupter had come loose. Sadly, this time all my fuses are good, and the interrupter appears to be fine. A previous owner built some sort of custom wiring harness for this bike, so I've spent hours tracing things around trying to figure out what has power and what doesn't. I hoped I'd find an inline fuse somewhere, but no luck there either.
After this happened, for a while I also had no turn signals, but I found and fixed a loose wire and got them back. Seems like just a coincidence that they went out at the same time, cause I still have no spark and the red LED on the external puck does nothing.
When I turn on the key, I have power coming into the 12V wire that comes down into the coil from the top. If I try to kick the bike, I have no spark and the red LED does not illuminate. Is there anything else I should do to confirm that my ignition system is dead? Is there something else I should try?
Thanks in advance!
IMAG7391.jpg
IMAG7393.jpg
IMAG7395.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1995 Ural Tourist with 2004 motor
1976 Honda CB750F
1978 Honda CB550K

Claus
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

Re: Type V Ignition Dead?

Post by Claus » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:15 am

As you discribe what you have done, I reckon your ignition has gone south...
owned bikes: 93 Ural hack domestic model, 01 Ural 750 hack
92 BMW R100GS, 92 Suzuki GSX1100G hack, 95 BMW R100R hack with Ural sidecar

ReCycled

Post by ReCycled » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:58 am

Agreed, but if you are using a multimeter test, they can be too too sensitive and read voltage when there's not enough current to actually fire anything.

As a last test, run a wide directly from battery to the coil and check for that led.
David B.
'07 Ural Twourist

astroboy
Party Member
Party Member

Post by astroboy » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:37 pm

Thanks guys, I'll give a try with a lead straight to the coil. Does anyone know of a way to just completely isolate and test the just ignition unit itself (beyond that)?
1995 Ural Tourist with 2004 motor
1976 Honda CB750F
1978 Honda CB550K

URALNUT60
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by URALNUT60 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:26 pm

Wouldn't even fool with that junk! Call 1 800 Holopaw Ural, Gene will sell you the ducati ignition, same one that comes from the factory, therewas a reason the Russians had the Italians make there ignition!

Eric N
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Eric N » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:10 pm

The ignition system sends a timed ground signal to the coil.

Coils work by forming two fields, one on the primary winding and one on the secondary. If the primary winding is suddenly grounded, it will cause the secondary winding to send the spark to the sparkplugs.

The ignition system should, as you rotate the engine, alternate between being grounded for a small moment, and not grounded for most of the rotation.

To test the coil, connect it to a 12V source, and then ground the wire that goes to the ignition. That should give a single spark to the spark plug once grounded. Don't leave it grounded too long, it could fry the coil.

I never had a Type V, but I'd power everything up. Put my multi-meter in it's beep mode for when it has connectivity. Ground one clip, connect the other to the wire that goes from the ignition to the coil (disconnect from the coil), and see if I get periodic beeps as I cycle the engine. That would tell you if the ignition system is doing it's thing by grounding the coil/ sending the spark signal, at the proper time.
2018 Gear Up
2013 Retro Solo
2001 Patrol - Sold

Michal
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Michal » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:07 pm

Type V is not grounding the coil. It has self regulated circuit switching on "only" 6 Amps. With low resistance (cca 1 ohm) coil provided with that it's only 6V when switched on. Such coil would overhead if switched on fully. The advantage is that it works with full current (full spark energy) even when electric voltage drops to 6V, which happens with electric starter cranking.
By my deeds I honor him, flat twin.
Михаил
2002 Днепр 650 Молодежный Чоппер (КМЗ-8.157.022)
2005 Урал 750 Спортсман (2WD)