Powder coat

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
dogcrazyjen
Comrade
Comrade

Powder coat

Post by dogcrazyjen » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:22 pm

So I screwed up pulling into the garage (someone put crap on MY side of the garage and I misjudged how far over I was) so I scraped up the paint on the tub fender on the garage door opening. I would like to at least prime it so I don't get rust. Anyone have any idea how to paint it so it sorta matches the rest? I have the olive powder coat on a Gear up. I would prefer it not look like something out of Joe Dirt.
Jen Kuhn
2012 Gear Up "Simon"
Total Newbie

chaos2
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Re: Powder coat

Post by chaos2 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:47 pm

Good luck. If it's anything like mine you can use your fingernail to chip the rest of the paint off the fender then prime and paint it properly.
past afflictions include limey motocars and bikes, R60/2 & a R65ls, and a Citroen.
Now a 2012 rusty GU and a 87 K75s with 200k miles both bought new
dual K&N cones on homemade intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles
Modtop exhaust
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

wooden nickel
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

Post by wooden nickel » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:47 pm

Worst comes to worst, OD makes a good base for a camo paint job.
I may not be good, but I'm slow.
Nick
2014 M70 Retros, the sports car of Urals.

Snakeoil

Post by Snakeoil » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:16 pm

Call your local dealer and ask what they would do or who they would use.
Regards,
Rob
Proud member of the Peanut Gallery
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".

hotflash44

Post by hotflash44 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:14 am

dogcrazyjen wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:22 pm
So I screwed up pulling into the garage (someone put crap on MY side of the garage and I misjudged how far over I was) so I scraped up the paint on the tub fender on the garage door opening. I would like to at least prime it so I don't get rust. Anyone have any idea how to paint it so it sorta matches the rest? I have the olive powder coat on a Gear up. I would prefer it not look like something out of Joe Dirt.
if you want it to look like original, i suggest letting a real good paint shop do a color match, they can get it almost perfect,that said its not power coat paint.there are shops that will power coat but paint would be cheaper. if i had this i would get a color match in a spray can which they can do and spray myself. good luck :cheers:
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

Lmo

Post by Lmo » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:45 pm

"Powder coat" is basically a skin; it is applied as a powder, and after baking it melts onto the substrata. Unless it's applied over a chemically bonded high temperature primer it seldom really adheres to the substrata.

It is, or was, a cheap way to get a reasonably uniform "paint" job. The down sides being: the moisture migrates under it leading to hidden corrosion, and being a vinyl plastic "real" paint doesn't bond to it well. Touching up powder coat, with powder coat, isn't possible (because of the requirement to apply electrostatically and the baking required). The only real fix is to strip the original coating and re-power coat the part (not practical).

Rust-o-leum "Restore" converts rust to an inert oxide. Apply a primer over it, and then paint. Try to ensure that the paint seals up the edges of the damage. And hold your breath for durability. But not for too long.... .
Lew Morris
Dnepr w/ '06 Ural Drive Train
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

1973 BMW R75/5 (original owner)
1947 HD FL (long gone, forever regretful)