motorcycle license

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
MajorFaversham
Party Member
Party Member

Re: motorcycle license

Post by MajorFaversham » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:23 pm

Claus wrote:Here in Germany I had to take a class that was 10 sessions each 90 minutes for theoretical part and 10 sessions each 45 minutes for practical part. After that I had to do the test (theoretical 50 questions, practical 45 minutes of riding) . After i passed both tests I got my motorcycle license and payed DM 1,400 for it (that was $ 700 at that time) . My car and truck license was much more expensive. I had to pay some DM 3,500 ($ 1750 in 1989) and took a class for 3 months or so (two hours in the evening twice a week)

All that training produces the most competent drivers on the road, yet accidents will always happen. When I was stationed in Germany, the question for an autobahn accident wasn’t “how many were injured?”, it was “how many died.”.

2013 Gobi Gear Up: “Yulia Nova”
Iowa
Iowa - Farm it, and they will come.

CarlS
Party Member
Party Member

Post by CarlS » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:31 am

In Germany on the autobahns, if you are driving in the left lane and are not passing, you will get a hefty fine. the same if you are impeding traffic in the middle lane. German drivers adhere to lane discipline - something rarely enforced in the US.
Carl S
Old Soldier

Current rides: 2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC, 2003 Triumph Bonneville T100, 1968 Triumph Trophy TR6R

Past Rides: Too many to list; but of interest here - 2003 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/Velorex sidecar, 2013 HD Sportster w/Texas sidecar, 1974 Yamaha TX650, 1966 Triumph Trophy TR6R

MajorFaversham
Party Member
Party Member

Re: RE: Re: motorcycle license

Post by MajorFaversham » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:32 am

CarlS wrote:In Germany on the autobahns, if you are driving in the left lane and are not passing, you will get a hefty fine. the same if you are impeding traffic in the middle lane. German drivers adhere to lane discipline - something rarely enforced in the US.
Also if you run out of gas, you will receive,a large fine. I advised to carry an emergency fan belt in the event I ran out of gas. Before the police arrived, cut your fan belt and explain that as the reason you are pulled over.

2013 Ural Gear Up: "Yulia Nova"
Iowa

Happytrails
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Happytrails » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:44 am

Very strict. :(
JR - Happytrails

2018 Ural GearUp (soon)
1991 Honda Goldwing SE
Previous rides
Lots of UJMs and some fun sport bikes

CarlS
Party Member
Party Member

Post by CarlS » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:02 pm

:o
MajorFaversham wrote:
CarlS wrote:In Germany on the autobahns, if you are driving in the left lane and are not passing, you will get a hefty fine. the same if you are impeding traffic in the middle lane. German drivers adhere to lane discipline - something rarely enforced in the US.
Also if you run out of gas, you will receive,a large fine. I advised to carry an emergency fan belt in the event I ran out of gas. Before the police arrived, cut your fan belt and explain that as the reason you are pulled over.

Iowa
I had forgotten about that. I remember being given that advice when I got to Germany. Fortunately, I never had to use that trick. :) Also under the Status of Forces Agreement, we did not have to go through the expensive licensing process. I really enjoyed Germany.
Carl S
Old Soldier

Current rides: 2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC, 2003 Triumph Bonneville T100, 1968 Triumph Trophy TR6R

Past Rides: Too many to list; but of interest here - 2003 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/Velorex sidecar, 2013 HD Sportster w/Texas sidecar, 1974 Yamaha TX650, 1966 Triumph Trophy TR6R

Claus
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

Post by Claus » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:20 pm

When I got my truck and car license at the end of the 1980ies it was ok to drive here in Germany. Nowadays we have alot of foreign drivers here who don´t know the law or don´t give a damn about. And our folks here are getting older, you notice that on the Autobahn when an old man drives with 90 kph on the left or middle lane (where there is no speed limit or a limit of 120 or 130 kph) and you can´t overtake him because it is forbidden to ovetake on the right side.The licenses here are not limited (yet). From 2032 they are.That´s when I will have to renew my license the first time.
There is almost no police visible, because the government reduced costs by reducing the numbers of officers during the last decade.
And borders to almost any European country are open. They have much less education in Bulgaria or Romania regarding their licenses and they start to u-turn on the Autobahn sometimes. This causes cruelly accidents. About 80 % of road transport is now hauled by Polish, Bulgarian, Romanian, Lithuanian, Latvian truck drivers and their trucks sometimes are technically dangerous. The police is after them so no chance to control the normal traffic in the known way.
But anyway, it´s still ralatively safe to use Germany´s roads, numbers of accidents still going down every year (or are at least consistent).
In all my driving years I only had two accidents. Both of them because I was young and too competitive.And both of them where only damage to the bodywork, no injuries at all.
When I drive in countries like UK or Denmark or Sweden or USA, It seems to me that traffic there is much more relaxed and taken more easy and that the self-centered behaviour is not so strong like in Germany. I always enjoy that relaxed driving.
owned bikes: 93 Ural hack domestic model, 01 Ural 750 hack
92 BMW R100GS, 92 Suzuki GSX1100G hack, 95 BMW R100R hack with Ural sidecar

MajorFaversham
Party Member
Party Member

Post by MajorFaversham » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:50 pm

Claus wrote:When I got my truck and car license at the end of the 1980ies it was ok to drive here in Germany. Nowadays we have alot of foreign drivers here who don´t know the law or don´t give a damn about. And our folks here are getting older, you notice that on the Autobahn when an old man drives with 90 kph on the left or middle lane (where there is no speed limit or a limit of 120 or 130 kph) and you can´t overtake him because it is forbidden to ovetake on the right side.The licenses here are not limited (yet). From 2032 they are.That´s when I will have to renew my license the first time.
There is almost no police visible, because the government reduced costs by reducing the numbers of officers during the last decade.
And borders to almost any European country are open. They have much less education in Bulgaria or Romania regarding their licenses and they start to u-turn on the Autobahn sometimes. This causes cruelly accidents. About 80 % of road transport is now hauled by Polish, Bulgarian, Romanian, Lithuanian, Latvian truck drivers and their trucks sometimes are technically dangerous. The police is after them so no chance to control the normal traffic in the known way.
But anyway, it´s still ralatively safe to use Germany´s roads, numbers of accidents still going down every year (or are at least consistent).
In all my driving years I only had two accidents. Both of them because I was young and too competitive.And both of them where only damage to the bodywork, no injuries at all.
When I drive in countries like UK or Denmark or Sweden or USA, It seems to me that traffic there is much more relaxed and taken more easy and that the self-centered behaviour is not so strong like in Germany. I always enjoy that relaxed driving.
It's impossible to enforce laws when there are completely open borders and the police presence is reduced. Then the high standards for driving competence are made pointless if the roads are flooded with foreign drivers.

Iowa

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:10 am

Birdy wrote:Well one thing is that a lot of driver in America KNOW better they just don't care. Today I drove from Columbus, Oh to Springfield, Oh about 45 miles. It's three lanes most of the way and we had the normal dimwit in the mid lane doing 65 in a 70 and people passing on both sides. That alone trashes traffic. Then there's the Tracker/Trailers drives that have to take the left lane and 10 miles to pass the guy in the middle so now things are well and truly screwed up. I had enough of the silliness and got of on the back road more easier when all the bond heads are on the Super Slab.

Just a little thought and following the laws and things would have been a lot faster for everyone. But these people don't see it that way...after all "It's all about ME!"

Yes there are people who drive properly to pass the driving test, then when they've got their license, drive however they want. Years ago I used to work with a guy like that.
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta