FB Find - 1997 Ural Deco w/ Trailer - $5k

Got some Russian bikes or parts you want to buy or sell? Advertise your wares here. Individuals only - No dealers in this section please.
Forum rules
This section is for individual forum members to buy, sell, or swap bikes, parts or accessories. Once the item has sold, please edit your post and put "SOLD" in the topic subject title. Dealers and other commercial entities need to post in "The Gray Market" section. All listings must be motorcycle related, preferrably for Urals or Dneprs. No guns, real estate, etc. All items must have an asking price or what you are willing to trade for. No auctions or bids here. If you want to auction an item, put it on eBay and post a link to your item's auction on eBay here.
timbillyosu
Comrade
Comrade

FB Find - 1997 Ural Deco w/ Trailer - $5k

Post by timbillyosu » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:30 am

Not mine and not affiliated. Trailer looks a little worse for wear.

Says it has been sitting for "several months", but the 650 ran when parked. The seller isn't the owner, but says the owner replaced heads, pistons, carbs, and alternator.

I love the fender skirt on the hack. What would you say is a fair price for the package?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 908842152/
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" - Red Green

Looking for a Ural

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Re: FB Find - 1997 Ural Deco w/ Trailer - $5k

Post by Tomcatfixer » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:15 am

Plusses:
- Deco model is cool
- That fender skirt is unique!
- Comes with a trailer
- Nice custom seat

Minuses:
- Does it run? Who knows? Might be a money pit.
- 1997's are Kickstart-only (not a deal-breaker, but something to note).
- That trailer looks like it's had a hard life.

I like the Deco paint scheme and I dig that fender, but couldn't care less about the Tetanus Trailer, so I would offer $2,000 - $3,000 and offer for the seller to keep the trailer, but that's just me. If the bike ran, I would offer $3,000 - $3,500. Without the seller being able to demonstrate it running, you could be looking at a blown crankshaft or stripped final drive gears, for all you know. It's a crap shoot.
- Chad

Gordonsville, Virginia, USA

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 2001 Ural Patrol "Little Red Bear", 1999 Ural Tourist "The RPOC", Mid-Nineties Ural Tourist "The Heap", 1994 Honda VFR750F, 2007 BMW K1200GT

Previous rides:
2007 Honda VTR1000 FireStorm (Super Hawk in U.S.)
2001 Buell Blast! - - - - - - - 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
1993 Honda CBR600F2 - -1984 Yamaha FJ1100
Two different 1986 Yamaha FZX700S Fazers

jaybird
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov
Location: The foothills of the Forked River Mountains, West Barnegat NJ (Do It In The Pines!) 08005

Post by jaybird » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:27 pm

Might be a money pit

Aren't they all? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Happy trails,
Jaybird
2005 Gear-Up, Mr. Nat_ural 108,000+ Kilometers and counting
2013 Retro, Black beauty, AKA Lucky "13"
1995 Olive Tourist
1975 Enfield Diesel Bullet
2008 Enfield Bullet 500
1974 BMW R 75/6
Etc.

Lofty
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by Lofty » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:11 pm

timbillyosu wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:30 am
"ran when parked"

The seller isn't the owner
Two red flags, personally. Others may proceed as they see fit.
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

jaybird
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov
Location: The foothills of the Forked River Mountains, West Barnegat NJ (Do It In The Pines!) 08005

Post by jaybird » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:07 pm

I would have no fear of buying this, depending on the price.
From my perspective any unknown 650 engine/Rig, will need to be gone through, some things checked, some things upgraded, but the price needs to reflect that.

Happy trails,
Jaybird
1995 Olive Tourist
2008 Enfield Bullet 500
1974 BMW R 75/6
Etc.

Scott E
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Scott E » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:15 pm

Tomcatfixer wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:15 am
Plusses:
- Deco model is cool
- Comes with a trailer
- Nice custom seat

Minuses:

I like the Deco paint scheme and I dig that fender, but couldn't care less about the Tetanus Trailer, so I would offer $2,000 - $3,000 and offer for the seller to keep the trailer, but that's just me. If the bike ran, I would offer $3,000 - $3,500. Without the seller being able to demonstrate it running, you could be looking at a blown crankshaft or stripped final drive gears, for all you know. It's a crap shoot.
It's a one wheel drive bike so the final drive would not be hard to fix if the ring gear is stripped. Assembly is time consuming when you do it correctly. I just rebuilt a Ural final drive about a couple of months ago. During assembly you've got to use shims to get the pinion gear placement correct with the ring gear. You may also need several gaskets between the cover and the housing to get the correct ring gear height correct as well. The way to do that is to use acrylic paint to paint 4 of 5 of the ring gear teeth, assemble the drive, turn it a few revolutions, than take it apart again and look at the paint marks on the pinion gear. Then move the shims and add or subtract cover gaskets until the paint marks are even across the pinion gear teeth and about 3/4 depth of paint marking on the side of the pinion teeth above the pinion gear valley. Then you can assemble the final drive the final time. I spent all day doing that on that Ural final drive. While I had it I installed a magnet in the drain plug and after 500Km he came by and we drained the oil and checked the magnet. There was a small amount of fine metal particles on the magnet which is to be expected during that 500Km run in. He whined a little about riding it in our cool Alabama winter temps but now his Ural is ready to go this coming spring and it didn't cost him his first born child and an arm or leg. When I got my Dnepr MT-11 I took the final drive apart and checked it. It was no where near correctly assembled so I had to do the same thing to it. BTY the reason you use acrylic paint is because it washes away easily with soap and water and it's cheap to buy everywhere hobby supplies are sold. A small bottle cost me 50 cents and was more than enough.

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tomcatfixer » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:41 pm

Scott E wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:15 pm
Tomcatfixer wrote:
Plusses:
- Deco model is cool
- Comes with a trailer
- Nice custom seat

Minuses:

It's a one wheel drive bike so the final drive would not be hard to fix if the ring gear is stripped. Assembly is time consuming when you do it correctly. I just rebuilt a Ural final drive about a couple of months ago. During assembly you've got to use shims to get the pinion gear placement correct with the ring gear. You may also need several gaskets between the cover and the housing to get the correct ring gear height correct as well. The way to do that is to use acrylic paint to paint 4 of 5 of the ring gear teeth, assemble the drive, turn it a few revolutions, than take it apart again and look at the paint marks on the pinion gear. Then move the shims and add or subtract cover gaskets until the paint marks are even across the pinion gear teeth and about 3/4 depth of paint marking on the side of the pinion teeth above the pinion gear valley. Then you can assemble the final drive the final time. I spent all day doing that on that Ural final drive. While I had it I installed a magnet in the drain plug and after 500Km he came by and we drained the oil and checked the magnet. There was a small amount of fine metal particles on the magnet which is to be expected during that 500Km run in. He whined a little about riding it in our cool Alabama winter temps but now his Ural is ready to go this coming spring and it didn't cost him his first born child and an arm or leg. When I got my Dnepr MT-11 I took the final drive apart and checked it. It was no where near correctly assembled so I had to do the same thing to it. BTY the reason you use acrylic paint is because it washes away easily with soap and water and it's cheap to buy everywhere hobby supplies are sold. A small bottle cost me 50 cents and was more than enough.
Yeah, I was just using that as an example of one of many potential hidden problems that can't be discovered when purchasing a non-running bike.
- Chad

Gordonsville, Virginia, USA

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 2001 Ural Patrol "Little Red Bear", 1999 Ural Tourist "The RPOC", Mid-Nineties Ural Tourist "The Heap", 1994 Honda VFR750F, 2007 BMW K1200GT

Previous rides:
2007 Honda VTR1000 FireStorm (Super Hawk in U.S.)
2001 Buell Blast! - - - - - - - 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
1993 Honda CBR600F2 - -1984 Yamaha FJ1100
Two different 1986 Yamaha FZX700S Fazers

timbillyosu
Comrade
Comrade

Post by timbillyosu » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:44 am

jaybird wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:07 pm
From my perspective any unknown 650 engine/Rig, will need to be gone through, some things checked, some things upgraded, but the price needs to reflect that.

Happy trails,
Jaybird
So what would you call a fair price, Jaybird?

Thanks for all your input everyone!
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" - Red Green

Looking for a Ural

jaybird
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by jaybird » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:20 pm

timbillyosu wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:44 am
jaybird wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:07 pm

Happy trails,
Jaybird
So what would you call a fair price, Jaybird?

Thanks for all your input everyone!
That's something you'll need to decide for yourself. If you buy it for a price that you can afford and that you're comfortable with, don't look back, it's a rider grade rig not investment grade so no matter what you pay it's not likely to appreciate in the short term. I do think something around $3k or less would be more appropriate even with the trailer, I'd want to see it run and drive around pretty good for anything more.

Happy trails,
Jaybird
1995 Olive Tourist
2008 Enfield Bullet 500
1974 BMW R 75/6
Etc.

tgtrotter
Commissar
Commissar

Post by tgtrotter » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:44 pm

Happy trails,
Jaybird
[/quote]

[/quote]

That's something you'll need to decide for yourself. If you buy it for a price that you can afford and that you're comfortable with, don't look back, it's a rider grade rig not investment grade so no matter what you pay it's not likely to appreciate in the short term.
[/quote]

+1. That what Jaybird said and location location location plays into pricing (1a)
All depends on
(1b) How bad you THINK you want it and FEEL about it, or vice-versa.
(2) There are those who can save money by spending money, my wife for instance. So if you're asking price #1a,b don't really matter.
(3) Are you investing in prominence or ??

I had a 650. Should've would've could've kept it. I'm happy with my 750 and that's all that matters to me. If we were all the same life would be pretty farking boring.

:cheers:
2007 Woodland Green Patrol :foilhead:
Powertrain OEM
2004 FLTRI :machinegun:
1992 Trek 830 :P

Scott E
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Scott E » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:09 pm

Tomcatfixer wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:41 pm
Scott E wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:15 pm
Tomcatfixer wrote:
Plusses:
- Deco model is cool
- Comes with a trailer
- Nice custom seat

Minuses:

Yeah, I was just using that as an example of one of many potential hidden problems that can't be discovered when purchasing a non-running bike.
I purchased my Dnepr MT-11 cheap assuming I would need to take everything and I mean everything apart and put it back together again, which I did. It's best to do the same with that Ural. Assume the worse and make an offer. The worse that could happen is he takes it and you end up with a months long project.

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:59 pm

That fender/fender skirt on the the hack is pretty amazing. Never saw anything like that. Someone loved this rig way in the past.
"Ran when parked" and "moving on to other projects"? Double-whammy.

Agree with the above, assume everything is bad and many parts will need to be replaced even though the seller (who is not the owner?) says they were changed.
That trailer looks to have had a hard rusty life too. My opinion and if I had the room and a lot of time, it's about $4000.00 too high.
I didn't see anything about title or DMV paperwork either?

Assume the worst and don't buy unless you can go to see it. A Black Hole or Diamond In The Rough?
Stagewex

2019 Honda CRF450L (Elec Start)
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)

windmill

Post by windmill » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:16 pm

I've seen nice clean running and licensed 650s go for under $2k, and beat up rusty trailers like that for under $500 on craigslist. I've seen much better deals on much newer Urals.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018/20 M70

timbillyosu
Comrade
Comrade

Post by timbillyosu » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:26 pm

stagewex wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:59 pm
I didn't see anything about title or DMV paperwork either
The seller said they have a clean title for the bike and the trailer read registered in SC, but they don't require titles for the trailer, but offered a bill of sale with it.

I'm thinking about offering them 2k and see if they stop talking to me haha. I'm thinking I wouldn't pay more than $3k

Looking for a Ural

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:57 pm

Are you able to go see it yourself? All the guy can say is "NO" so you have nothing to worry about. Good Luck.
Stagewex

2019 Honda CRF450L (Elec Start)
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)