GONE - 2012 Gear UP near Minneapolis MN

Got some Russian bikes or parts you want to buy or sell? Advertise your wares here. Individuals only - No dealers in this section please.
Forum rules
This section is for individual forum members to buy, sell, or swap bikes, parts or accessories. Once the item has sold, please edit your post and put "SOLD" in the topic subject title. Dealers and other commercial entities need to post in "The Gray Market" section. All listings must be motorcycle related, preferrably for Urals or Dneprs. No guns, real estate, etc. All items must have an asking price or what you are willing to trade for. No auctions or bids here. If you want to auction an item, put it on eBay and post a link to your item's auction on eBay here.
todanshaffer

GONE - 2012 Gear UP near Minneapolis MN

Post by todanshaffer » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:35 pm

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/ ... 77994.html

add missing on craigslist

Comrades - this may interest one of you listed at $7900. At 19000 km it appears to have needed significant head work. Could be the nature of the beast or perhaps a little less attentive love by an owner or dealer somewhere along the line.
Last edited by todanshaffer on Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danger Dan

Central MN where it's prettier than the tourist zone
Ural Patrol 2005
a few Bavarian boxer twins RT, RS, RT oilheads, RT Luftboxer
DR650, G650GS - Einzylinder macht froh!
cat named Marie Curie likes the radiation coming off reprocessed uranium hardened Chernobyl steel used in '05
Russian vocabulary: Урал, Stolychnya

harryball
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Re: 2012 Gear UP near Minneapolis MN

Post by harryball » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:21 am

So, I'm going to say it's probably going to need to sell around $6500. I see no concern over new heads and valves provided the work was done right (so my first question would be why? followed by when? followed by who?)

I like armchair shopping with no intent to buy. :D

Watch some guy now show up and pay $8900 (1000 more than ask) for it without asking a single question just to prove me wrong. :P
---
2017 - cT Gen 2 EFI- "Georgia" My wife's rig.
2017 - M70/Retro Gen 2 EFI- Sigmund. My wife's other rig.
Robert
http://HabitatForBats.org - Give a bat a home!

dogboy443

Post by dogboy443 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:42 pm

Jeez, nice bike. Doesn't need anything except for an a$$ on the seat.
Mark Masztal

2006 Ural Tourist, The Flying Pickle!

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:03 pm

Looks nice.
Yeah I wonder why with so few miles it would have needed valves, heads, gaskets & ignition?
Something hopefully a real buyer is going to ask.
Stagewex

Current Herd all running amok:
2019 Honda CRF450L (Elec Start)
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
2006 Honda "Big Ruckus" PS250 (Elec Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only) *NOT running amok, out for Bottom & Top-End Rebuild.
1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)

List what you "have", keep the others in your precious memory bank.

makarov
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by makarov » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:01 pm

Weren't there head problems on a select number of the 2012's?
2016 Ural Gear Up 2WD
Ural owner since 2009

Morefun71

Post by Morefun71 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:43 am

Guys,

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/ ... 77994.html

I am a wanna-be owner and have been looking for a couple of years. This bike seems like a great first rig, in my completely inexperienced opinion. I am a competent mechanic and have revived two different v-twin basket cases, both carbureted. Yamaha v-stars running mikuini carbs. So, for whatever reason I want a carbed rig for a first one.

I spoke to the owner and he seems like a very straightforward and level-headed guy. He's got a legit reason for the sale etc. I'm going down to have a look and a ride tomorrow. I was wondering what questions you might ask if you were in my shoes.

So here's the story on the maintenance list:

He bought it used from a guy in Minneapolis. After he told me the tale, it sounds like he was chasing a gremlin that got out of hand. He noticed that he could not get more than 50-55 mph on the highway. He tried the common sense stuff like removing windscreen and all that. No dice. Next he started the carb/jetting/fuel system rabbithole and he did some upgrades and still got no more power. He then went to heads, rods, rejetting, etc. Still no dice. Eventually he discovered a carb flaw that was letting fuel leak and I still don't understand how he resolved it. That I expect to understand after tomorrow.

I saw where someone mentioned that this should sell 2k or so less than the asking price. Can you explain that?

I'd appreciate any thoughts and good questions to ask.

Thanks for your time!
Ray
2012 GU Forest Fog
New to me and we are learning to live together. It's tense right now...

Exiled to the frozen tundra of Minneapolis, MN. It's like a gulag, but without the scurvy and fence

Manscout

Post by Manscout » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:02 am

Morefun71 wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:43 am
I saw where someone mentioned that this should sell 2k or so less than the asking price. Can you explain that?

I'd appreciate any thoughts and good questions to ask.

Thanks for your time!
Ray
Having a similar year rig, I found the biggest thing that hampered my speed is wind and a dirty filter. I wonder if he was using the wrong one or did not clean and oil it properly. It could be timing too. 2012 was a decent year. If it was running well and no issues, the asking price would be close. I think $6700 would be good to start and $7500 tops. Your call though on what you are comfortable with.
"It goes nowhere fast, and everywhere cool".

2011 Ural Patrol
Gillette, Wy
Instagram: manscoutwyo

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:23 am

The guy did heads, rods & re-jetting just because of a lack of over 55 power/speed. That sounds weird or at least overkill.
That bike BTW likes 50-55MPH. Doesn't mean it shouldn't do more but...

Off the top of my head 2012 was still powder-coated body?
Some had defective rims (cracks) so look closely at those.

Go look at a couple more in your area and take your time. These bikes don't move or sell at supersonic speed.
You're going into something where the guy at least claims to have or had problems.
Don't jump into something looking at the first pretty one that catches your eye.

If you will add your general location to your signature-line here there may be an owner close to you willing to go check it out as well.

Overall she does look nice & clean. Price seems a bit high especially in soon-to-be frozen Minneapolis.

http://www.crawfordsales.info/?page_id=54
Stagewex

1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only) *NOT running amok, out for Bottom & Top-End Rebuild.

S 854
Commissar
Commissar

Post by S 854 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:52 am

“New: valves, heads, gaskets, raceway push rods, computerized ignition...”

Considering it has a few Raceway bits on it my guess is the ignition is a PowerArc... not necessarily a bad thing...
'07 Arctic: The Russian Raucous Ship

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out...

Morefun71

Post by Morefun71 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:59 pm

Thanks for the insight and tips guys.

I'd love for a seasoned owner to take a second look. I'm in Minneapolis, I will add that to my signature line.

I'll post and update after I get an in-person peek.
2012 GU Forest Fog

Exiled to the frozen tundra of Minneapolis, MN. It's like a gulag, but without the scurvy and fence

Morefun71

Post by Morefun71 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:42 pm

Hi gang, thanks again for the input.

So the wife and I took it out for a nice long ride. I put it through the paces and was very impressed. It stared off cold on the first push of the button. Minimal choke on a 50 degree day. Idle was silky smooth. It runs like a champ and sounds like an industrial sewing machine. Which seemed about right. It made enough power to lift the front end right out of the hole. With both of us in the rig were up to 62-63 mph on the flat. That's more than I want until I get some miles under my belt. No rust and he has done some improvements like cabling the car down etc.

The owner is a great guy, and I think the work just became 1) a legit gremlin chase and 2) something to keep busy with. Both of which I understand. It being Minnesota in the winter, and what the hell else you gonna do all winter? Ski?

So, I am sure I will be picking brains as this little adventure progresses. It's great to have you guys to work with. Thanks again for your time.

Oh, final sale price was $7500. Not that blue book probably means anything, but this model is listed at $6450 TI/$9200 PP. I'm sure I could have gotten him down a couple hundred more dollars, but for me being able to call the guy for insight into the past work and to have him answer the phone is worth it to me. Small world up here.

See you on (or on the side of) the road!
2012 GU Forest Fog

Lokiboy

Post by Lokiboy » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:28 pm

Welcome! Great news on the sale. Glad everyone walks away happy.

As for power at higher speed, based on what you experienced it sounds ok. But, another thing to consider is a rip in one of the carburetor diaphragms. That becomes more pronounced (loss of pwr) as speed increases.

Looking forward to your future progress and ride reports
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
110,000 km and counting

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:13 pm

Well, you sound happy so congrats.
I don't think I've ever read or heard the term here...

"It made enough power to lift the front end right out of the hole"

... with respect to a Ural but I'm a believer in learning something new everyday if possible :)

Again, Congrats, Ride Safe, Healthy & Happy.
Stagewex

S 854
Commissar
Commissar

Post by S 854 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:08 am

stagewex wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:13 pm
Well, you sound happy so congrats.
I don't think I've ever read or heard the term here...

"It made enough power to lift the front end right out of the hole"
My guess is: the seller had the rig parked with the front wheel in a gutter... and no tow rope was needed to get it out...

:rotfl:

... and to the OP... welcome to the party...

:party:
'07 Arctic: The Russian Raucous Ship

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out...

Morefun71

Post by Morefun71 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:57 pm

Glad you guys got the sarcasm! Exactly, its not really a wheelie machine. But oh my god is it fun! Ran like a champ all day. Actually got it to kick start from cold (full choke on a 45* day) on the second kick. However I could not repeat that feat with it warm. I managed to flood it thinking it needed choke. Did start right off with a push of the magic button though after I let it clear. And yup, it's got a PowerArc

As a followup to the gremlin question of not making highway speed (55+), I had 150# of ballast and the wife and was above 60 on the speedo (wife is 135# but don't tell her I said so), I had to bring the ballast with me to get it home. Still goes faster than I'm comfortable riding it until I get some more km's.

Thanks again and cheers!
2012 GU Forest Fog