WTB - WANTED - nice, clean Retro or cT (T)

Got some Russian bikes or parts you want to buy or sell? Advertise your wares here. Individuals only - No dealers in this section please.
Forum rules
This section is for individual forum members to buy, sell, or swap bikes, parts or accessories. Once the item has sold, please edit your post and put "SOLD" in the topic subject title. Dealers and other commercial entities need to post in "The Gray Market" section. All listings must be motorcycle related, preferrably for Urals or Dneprs. No guns, real estate, etc. All items must have an asking price or what you are willing to trade for. No auctions or bids here. If you want to auction an item, put it on eBay and post a link to your item's auction on eBay here.
Desantnik-VDV
Comrade General
Comrade General

Re: WTB - WANTED - nice, clean Retro or cT (T)

Post by Desantnik-VDV » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:18 am

jeffsaline wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:08 am
Fuel Tank Cleaning

I use oxacilic acid for cleaning fuel tanks. I learned about it on a KLR forum. It is used as a deck brightner and available at the hardware store. It won't hurt paint if you don't leave it on there dry. Look in the deck care products section and read the ingredients of the products. You'll know you have the correct product when you see oxacilic acid and probably nothing else. I mix it at about one part acid to three parts water. In 2017 I helped a local shop clean a fuel system on a bike with 16 miles on it. It had been stored with fuel in it for 11 years. It took 3 days to get the tank really clean with a couple of applications of pressure washer inside to help the process. The paint looked like new (which it was) when we were done.

Best,

Jeff

Thank you Jeff.
I think it will be hard to get a pressure washer inside Urals tank. Do you mean the paint inside the tank looked like new?
Alex
2007 GearUp - BMD (Боевая Машина Десанта)

The rest is just history.

jeffsaline
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by jeffsaline » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:24 pm

Alex,

There was some pitting from all the corrosion inside the tank but the metal was sound and clean.

I've used POR-15 and it is a fine product when used according to the directions. But I've now stopped lining tanks once they are clean and just keep them filled with quality fuel. I don't get rust as there isn't any moisture inside the tank. Using POR-15 on a painted tank takes some doing to keep from damaging the paint. I once tested some of the preparation products and just getting a drop on the paint and immediately (meaning less than a second on the paint) wiping it off with a wet rag still left a mark I couldn't rub out. I've heard but never tried it that you can coat the exterior of the tank in melted paraffin and that will protect the paint. When all is done use boiling water to remove the paraffin. If I was going to use POR-15 I would try that procedure.

Best,

Jeff
Jeff Saline
2010 Gear Up
-Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick Two
-Just because something isn't true, no reason you can't believe it. Hub McCann Second Hand Lions
-Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

Desantnik-VDV
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Desantnik-VDV » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:25 pm

I got a pint size can of Red-Kote if it is acceptable for Urals tank :) Planning to use that inside the tank. Prior to coating I will use acetone to prepare insides for coating and to remove any moisture.
It looks like I got all crude and varnish out of the tank with one application of some household cleaning chemicals. Zap Professional, lime gone and TSP Elbow Grease. Was planning, however did not use and bolts and nuts for shaking. I only had a solution with hot water in there. And now doing the same second time to clean more. Inside the tank is good and sound metal color like brand new, with one small area of rust. There still was about 2 gallons of brownish varnished gas inside when I drained it yesterday.
Alex
2007 GearUp - BMD (Боевая Машина Десанта)

The rest is just history.