Dipstick thermometer

Got some Russian bikes or parts you want to buy or sell? Advertise your wares here. Individuals only - No dealers in this section please.
Forum rules
This section is for individual forum members to buy, sell, or swap bikes, parts or accessories. Once the item has sold, please edit your post and put "SOLD" in the topic subject title. Dealers and other commercial entities need to post in "The Gray Market" section. All listings must be motorcycle related, preferrably for Urals or Dneprs. No guns, real estate, etc. All items must have an asking price or what you are willing to trade for. No auctions or bids here. If you want to auction an item, put it on eBay and post a link to your item's auction on eBay here.
DougB
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Dipstick thermometer

Post by DougB » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:47 pm

I just checked my case...the dipstick threads are M24 x 1.5. Most of the BMW dipsticks seem to be for a 26mm diameter hole or more, so the best bet might be to buy a BMW dipstick and machine down the threads.
----------------------------------
'21 Ural GU
'65 CJ/BMW Conversion
'52 BMW R67/2
'41 Zundapp KS600
'62 Sears/Puch SGS250
'75 VW Westfalia camper
An incredibly understanding wife :roll:
Falls Church, VA, USA

jaybird
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov
Location: The foothills of the Forked River Mountains, West Barnegat NJ (Do It In The Pines!) 08005

Post by jaybird » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:07 pm

DougB wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:09 pm
Just FYI I have a BMW /2 and the dipstick on it and my '21 GU are different thread diameters, with the /2 being larger. I'm trying to find information on the /5 and /6 dipsticks, though.
The /5 and /6 dipstick threads are larger than the Ural.

Happy trails,
Jaybird
2005 Gear-Up, Mr. Nat_ural 108,000+ Kilometers and counting
2013 Retro, Black beauty, AKA Lucky "13"
1995 Olive Tourist
1975 Enfield Diesel Bullet
2008 Enfield Bullet 500
1974 BMW R 75/6
Etc.

jaybird
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov
Location: The foothills of the Forked River Mountains, West Barnegat NJ (Do It In The Pines!) 08005

Post by jaybird » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:14 pm

treebone wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:54 pm
I put a dipstick thermometer on my harley dyna.
Frankly I found it very distracting, and caught myself a few times trying to read it while riding. Might have been my last ride.

I later bought one of these heat sensors, pretty cheap online.

I can get a reading off the head near the spark plug, or the oil filter, and the tranny or final drive.
Not near as cool, but I can use it when I pull over if curious, and live to talk about it.

[attachment=0]DSCF3670.jpg[/attachment
May be just me, but, after over three years of riding, I've not found that gauge to be a distraction at all.
I have a couple of those IR thermometers, we use them, they're definitely handy.

Happy trails,
Jaybird
1995 Olive Tourist
2008 Enfield Bullet 500
1974 BMW R 75/6
Etc.

jeffsaline
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by jeffsaline » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:34 pm

I just measured the dipstick threads on a 1975 R90/6. M26 x 1.5 and the 1 Ltr. mark is 10 3/4" from the bottom of the threads.

My 2010 Gear Up dipstick is M24 x 1.5 and they are poorly done threads. It is 8 7/8" from the bottom of the threads to the middle of the lower bend in the stick.

Best,

Jeff
Jeff Saline
2010 Gear Up
-Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick Two
-Just because something isn't true, no reason you can't believe it. Hub McCann Second Hand Lions
-Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

Little Spliff

Post by Little Spliff » Tue May 04, 2021 5:28 pm

Hi all,

the RR dip-stick gauges to fit the 2019- engines is the RR58 type. Pretty easy to get from the OM. If that helps you in the US..
Ordered mine today, price is 69€ incl. shipping.

Cheers,

Spliff
Fork out all your cash for a Hypercar, blast along and have your license taken..
Buy Ural, go sh!t slow and have a blast! :boogie:

`20 T-TWD

DougB
Comrade
Comrade

Post by DougB » Thu May 06, 2021 12:05 pm

I also bought the RR dipstick and it arrived today. The rod section is exactly the same length as the blade on my '21 GU's stock dipstick. Here's where I found it: https://www.kickstartershop.de/en/oil-t ... except-m72

The seller was responsive and the item well packaged. Just wanted to let you all know it's the right length.

- Doug
'21 Ural GU
'65 CJ/BMW Conversion
'52 BMW R67/2
'41 Zundapp KS600
'62 Sears/Puch SGS250
'75 VW Westfalia camper
Falls Church, VA, USA

Bar None
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Bar None » Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:32 pm

DougB,
What temp are you getting on the oil a hot engine? I had one on one of my previous Urals but don't remember the max temp.
I think you want a reading of at least 100 C,
Vince in Fort Myers,FL or Robbinsville,NC
Owned a 2012 Yamal and a 2015 cT in the past.
2021 Ural cT
2020 Ice Bear Vision 150 scooter

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:29 am

65€/$80 for an oven thermometer you can stick in your dipstick hole?
That's ridiculous and I'll argue it serves no useful purpose.

If the oil is "too hot" you are going to stop riding?
And that's if you can read it while riding.
Who decides what is "too hot" anyway?

Oil not warming up fast enough? What can you do about it?
It's pretty useless for providing any valuable info, oil temp is what it is, based mostly on air temp and riding conditions.

Order two of these for $2.85ea and JB weld them into these plugs for $16.09 for 2, sell one for your total cost, get a free oil temp gauge.

DougB
Comrade
Comrade

Post by DougB » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:14 pm

You can definitely roll your own...I tried and failed, though, because finding a thermometer in the right length can be challenging (though I did successfully machine the threaded adapter on my lathe). A lot of probe thermometers are actually hollow through most of the "stick" area and only sealed on the bottom. For something like that, you can't just trim the stick to length. Thermometers that aren't glycerine- or oil-filled will tend to vibrate at the needle, too. For most off-the-shelf dipstick thermometers, the dial can be rotated once the threaded portion is firmly seated in the case...and the thermometer is held in place with o-rings that provide a seal but allow rotation.

At that point you've invested time searching and then modifying the parts you've received. My time is worth more than that, so I'm happy to buy something someone else has put together...the same way I was fine sending Kalaber my cash for the winch/trailer bar. It's your bike, do whatcha like.
'21 Ural GU
'65 CJ/BMW Conversion
'52 BMW R67/2
'41 Zundapp KS600
'62 Sears/Puch SGS250
'75 VW Westfalia camper
Falls Church, VA, USA

DougB
Comrade
Comrade

Post by DougB » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:17 pm

As for what's "too hot", every type of oil has a temp point where the oil will start to break down or lose its lubricity. For conventional oils that can start at 260 degrees F. So yes, if I were running conventional oil (I don't) and I saw 260 on the gauge I would use that as an excuse to stop for coffee. If I were in a hurry the Ural isn't the bike I'd pull from the corral.
'21 Ural GU
'65 CJ/BMW Conversion
'52 BMW R67/2
'41 Zundapp KS600
'62 Sears/Puch SGS250
'75 VW Westfalia camper
Falls Church, VA, USA

jaybird
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by jaybird » Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:02 pm

I'm favorable to mine. It's a nice Farkle and improves the look of the motorcycle.
There's really no need to look at it while moving, it will hold temperature until after you stop.
I look at it as more of a diagnostic tool if I'm having some kind of trouble.
Honestly, I'm not commuting anymore and doing most of my estimating with Google, so I'm only running around local, I haven't looked at it in so long I don't remember what temperature it normally runs at.
I think if someone were to make a batch of them they could probably sell them pretty quickly., I'd buy another.

Happy trails,
Jaybird
1995 Olive Tourist
2008 Enfield Bullet 500
1974 BMW R 75/6
Etc.

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:12 pm

I've had a few years ago on a couple different Harleys. Aftermarket I think, Drag Specialties?
Never found them to be very accurate (checked with IR Heat sensor) and in the end if I was in bad traffic and getting hot you could hear the difference in a Big Twin, didn't need to look down. But they did look cool.
Maybe they make them to better or higher standards nowadays?
Stagewex

2019 Honda CRF450L (Elec Start)
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:17 pm

stagewex wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:12 pm
I've had a few years ago on a couple different Harleys. Aftermarket I think, Drag Specialties?
Never found them to be very accurate (checked with IR Heat sensor) and in the end if I was in bad traffic and getting hot you could hear the difference in a Big Twin, didn't need to look down. But they did look cool.
Maybe they make them to better or higher standards nowadays?
Place the dipstick in boiling water and check to see that it reads 212F/100C.
That is a good test and close enough to what oil temps should be to be accurate as a temperature verification.

Laser thermometers are notoriously bad at measuring temperatures on reflective metals, like engines.
The good ones that can adjust for emissivity and reflectivity automatically are several hundred dollars or more.

If you have one for less than $100 you can sometimes manually enter in a value based on what you are measuring or they have no adjustment and are bad at either end of emissivity range.

We laser thermometers where I work and we spend about $400 for the decent ones and they are checked periodically.
We might be lucky if we get 6-8 months before they go out of calibration.

People think because it is a nice digital readout and there is a laser involved, it is a precise method, but like anything else, they have limits.
If you are just using it comparatively say measuring header temps before after a mod, it gives you a value to go with (higher or lower) but don't trust the actual temp it gives you.

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:58 pm

Case in point, just did this test...

From left to right...Centech Laser IR from Harbor Freight, Thermoworks dial (same as link above) and Nubee Laser IR.
The Nubee is slightly better than the HF one and alows for entering the emissivity of the surface being measured.
Still a pretty cheap IR thermometer, I bought it before COVID sent the prices of these things through the roof because everyone wanted to check forehead temps...which they are HORRIBLY inaccurate for but I digress.

I left the dial thermometer on the aluminum trailer in the sun until the reading stabilized and then measured with both laser thermometers.

The cheap HF read 95.1F the Nubee read 102.7F

And the dial thermometer read...

120F!

I checked that thermometer in an ice bath (32F) and in boiling water (212F) when it arrived, so I know it is calibrated and accurate.
Also the "palm of my hand test" told me that the trailer was significantly hotter than 95F.

So this goes to show you, take IR thermometer temps as a comparative tool, (it's hotter here than there) not as an accurate measurement.

windmill

Post by windmill » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:49 pm

I had a dipstick thermometer and also found its readings questionable/ambiguous when compared to a meat thermometer. It seems that it was actually reading the engine case temp through the housing rather than the oil through the dipstick portion. Its reading would also drop significantly in the rain.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018/20 M70