Really retro

Got some Russian bikes or parts you want to buy or sell? Advertise your wares here. Individuals only - No dealers in this section please.
Forum rules
This section is for individual forum members to buy, sell, or swap bikes, parts or accessories. Once the item has sold, please edit your post and put "SOLD" in the topic subject title. Dealers and other commercial entities need to post in "The Gray Market" section. All listings must be motorcycle related, preferrably for Urals or Dneprs. No guns, real estate, etc. All items must have an asking price or what you are willing to trade for. No auctions or bids here. If you want to auction an item, put it on eBay and post a link to your item's auction on eBay here.
dneprlover
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Re: Really retro

Post by dneprlover » Fri May 01, 2020 4:41 pm

tgtrotter wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:40 pm
Scam ad ?

Certainly smells of it!

BmW R12 ( the most common Nazi bike of WWII) with an M72 sidecar fitted. That bike is worth double that on a bad day
Neval BMW/MT11 800cc hybrid, Neval 2wd MT10-36, Neval standard MT10-36, Neval MT16, another MT11, BMW/MB650 hybrid , K750m , MB750 and a standard MT10-36 outfit + 2 large sheds full of spares for them.

chang jiang bill
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by chang jiang bill » Wed May 13, 2020 9:07 pm

Ok, out of curiosity, I sent this guy an email through craigslist asking where he is located and if I could have someone come and look at the bike. he sent me an email, asking for my email address? I sent it through craigslist. Wouldn't that give him my email address? Why would he ask for it? Also, he didn't respond to my question about having someone come and look at the bike, or where exactly it is located, just offered to send me more photos and tell me that the price is negotiable. It still smells fishy.

treebone
Comrade
Comrade

Post by treebone » Wed May 13, 2020 9:18 pm

Yep, fishy like a tuna boat on a hot day. Trust your gut.
Current- -2015 Gearup Sportsman Adventure Camp Wandawega Edition
Gone but not forgotten- -2009 Patrol, Sold at 26000 klicks

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tomcatfixer » Wed May 13, 2020 9:25 pm

I sent it through craigslist. Wouldn't that give him my email address? Why would he ask for it?
No. Craigslist acts as an intermediary between buyer and seller. You can't see his actual e-mail address and he can't see yours, unless each of you provide the addresses to one another. This is a good safety feature for both of you.
- Chad

Gordonsville, Virginia, USA

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 2001 Ural Patrol "Little Red Bear", 1999 Ural Tourist "The RPOC", Mid-Nineties Ural Tourist "The Heap", 1994 Honda VFR750F

Previous rides:
2007 Honda VTR1000 FireStorm (Super Hawk in U.S.)
2001 Buell Blast! - - - - - - - 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
1993 Honda CBR600F2 - -1984 Yamaha FJ1100
Two different 1986 Yamaha FZX700S Fazers

Rich Maund
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Rich Maund » Wed May 13, 2020 10:54 pm

The sidecar frame and suspension look just like what I got from Weave years ago and then built the sidecar for it that we mounted on my old Retro. Weave told me it was early 50's military production and had the leaf springs to suspend the body and a dog leg torsion bar suspension to support the wheel. Nice heavy duty frame and 2x as heavy as what Ural uses now.
This is my step ladder. I never got to know my real ladder.

treebone
Comrade
Comrade

Post by treebone » Fri May 15, 2020 12:06 pm

Nobody could say that is not an awesome outfit, but the "seller" likely only has the photos to offer.

I see a lot of scam stuff on craiglist, especially with Kubota tractors and John Deere Gators, offering a prime unit for less than a 1/3 of the common value.

Some of them have pictures that appear to have been taken through a dirty window or screen. Some scammers are better than others, but greedy buyers are easy prey apparently.
Current- -2015 Gearup Sportsman Adventure Camp Wandawega Edition
Gone but not forgotten- -2009 Patrol, Sold at 26000 klicks

Mr Wazzock
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by Mr Wazzock » Fri May 15, 2020 3:54 pm

chang jiang bill wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 9:07 pm
Ok, out of curiosity, I sent this guy an email through craigslist asking where he is located and if I could have someone come and look at the bike. he sent me an email, asking for my email address? I sent it through craigslist. Wouldn't that give him my email address? Why would he ask for it?
Like eBay etc. I would expect CL does not give the recipient the email address, only the message.

And these sites recommend do not enter into correspondence outside of the site's own communication facilities, which protect your privacy, so yeah a bad smell!
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

chang jiang bill
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by chang jiang bill » Mon May 18, 2020 7:30 pm

I should not have sent him an email. a day after I got his email I got a call from a friend saying he got a suspicious email which looked like it came from me asking him to open a link within the email. I've been spoofed! I had to change my password and forward a warning to everybody on my contact list not to open any links. So, moral of the story - If you see an ad too good to be true, Don't Mess With It!!

Bill

jvan1954

Post by jvan1954 » Tue May 19, 2020 2:27 pm

Not sure if this is the right place for this but it seems pertinent. There is a dude named James Veitch who jacks with scammers in a major way and is worth checking out. Another guy stalks and out scams the scammers. What amazed me was not the general asshattery and all, it was the fact that this guy got them to routinely spend 2 and up to 5 hours on the phone thinking they were ripping off an elderly lady. To put in that amount of time means it must work often enough to be profitable.
This may be old news to more tech savvy people, but it blew me away.
there is no problem so complex, nor situation so dire, that its solution can not be found in the skillful application of high explosives.
Ride a 2013 ural tourist

Scott
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Scott » Sat May 23, 2020 12:26 am

jvan1954 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 2:27 pm
Not sure if this is the right place for this but it seems pertinent. There is a dude named James Veitch who jacks with scammers in a major way and is worth checking out. Another guy stalks and out scams the scammers. What amazed me was not the general asshattery and all, it was the fact that this guy got them to routinely spend 2 and up to 5 hours on the phone thinking they were ripping off an elderly lady. To put in that amount of time means it must work often enough to be profitable.
This may be old news to more tech savvy people, but it blew me away.
You should check out scambaiter sites like 419eater.com .
Some of the scammers get led on for months doing stupid stuff like posing for photos with weird stuff, getting tattoos, or driving hours through guerrilla held territory in the Congo to pick up a "delayed" cash transfer at a Western Union or pick up a box of busted computer parts after paying hundred$ in COD fees.

Scott Pell
gspell68@gmail.com
http://sites.google.com/site/foilheadz/
1951 KMZ K-750 (The Bull, БУЛ)
1962 KMZ K-750 (The Beast, БИСТ)
1959 IMZ M-72M Solo Rust Buc-Kit Bike

Cheap - Reliable - Fast
Pick any 2 and the other one won't apply!