New GU Owner - and stoked about it!

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
kentuckywoman

New GU Owner - and stoked about it!

Post by kentuckywoman » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:37 pm

Greetings. Never driven a motorcycle but I'm the proud new owner of a 2017 GU! I love long distance bicycling and figure this is a way to do longer distances - and have my dogs join me! We just moved to coastal Carolina and I'm excited about adventuring off road till I get safe enough to hit the pavement. Take my MSF course next weekend. Working on a plan to get my new ride from FL to NC ASAP. Love this forum and FB page. Happy to join the community.

WEGUNTER
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Re: New GU Owner - and stoked about it!

Post by WEGUNTER » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:25 pm

Greetings from another Carolina rider. Fair number of us around. We have the Blue Ridge rally next weekend up in Meadows of Dan at the Willville campground if you want to meet other riders. Rally after that is at Black Mountain near Asheville in October. And of course the biggest rally of them all is in Asheboro NC in May.

Bill

Happytrails
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Happytrails » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:39 pm

Congrats on your new bike. Post a photo when you get a chance.

You'll enjoy the MSF. They really try to make them fun and not intimidating. Its a great way to get licensed. :)
JR - Happytrails

2018 Ural GearUp (soon)
1991 Honda Goldwing SE
Previous rides
Lots of UJMs and some fun sport bikes

hotflash44
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

Post by hotflash44 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:45 pm

all aboard the train to Ural mania, welcome! :cheers:
drive a 2016 gear up asphalt grey .Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

DrFaulken

Post by DrFaulken » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:06 pm

Welcome!! You're going to love your Ural.

What kind of dog(s) do you have? I'm trying to acclimate my 14 year old Beagle/hound mix to goggles and a vest so he can eventually go riding with me.

Are you taking the basic MSF course, or the specialty one for 3-wheeled / sidecar bikes?
2017 Ural GearUp Bronze Metallic

Bendog02760

Post by Bendog02760 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:38 pm

Congrats on the new ride. Get yourself comfortable before adding your 4 legged friend. Lots of good advice out here on acclimating your bud and proper outfit. Enjoy every moment, get your monkey on and be safe!!!!!

:cheers:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Current Rides:
2012 GU (I bought in May 2017) All my GU rides are with my dog, Liberty
HD Road King
HD Wide Glide
Owned about 15 other HD over years
Boston Mass.

Lokiboy

Post by Lokiboy » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:40 am

Welcome, may you have many long and adventurous rides.

Add your location and model/year of you rig in your signature lock so in the future folks can help you better
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
70,000 km and counting

Happytrails
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Happytrails » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:22 am

DrFaulken wrote:I'm trying to acclimate my 14 year old Beagle/hound mix to goggles and a vest so he can eventually go riding with me.
Imagine gettin them to wear "doggles" is a little tricky 8)

JR - Happytrails

2018 Ural GearUp (soon)
1991 Honda Goldwing SE
Previous rides
Lots of UJMs and some fun sport bikes

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:00 pm

Hello and congratulations. :thumbsup:

As you're already used to two wheels (bicycle), you might want to get some sort of sidecar outfit driving tuition, cos it ain't nothing like riding a two wheeler! :D
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta

vetsurginc

Post by vetsurginc » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:15 pm

Where you at? Or better question whom are you getting your rig? Renting a U-haul may be your best bet. Plenty of information on the forum on size to rent. If your getting rig from Holopaw, it will be set up just right. Have fun! Be safe.
Doug
2011 GearUp Vasily (Васи́лий) Main 125, idle 38, Raceway needles, and stock exhaust, MKIII air filter
2010 R1200RT Gustav

MajorFaversham
Party Member
Party Member

Post by MajorFaversham » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:31 pm

CONGRATULATIONS! Take a word of advice who just recently had to move a Gear Up from Miami Beach FL to Davenport, IA. DO IT YOURSELF!

I tried using a transport service recommended by someone on this board and it didn't work out (left me high and dry as well as not giving me a full refund). So avoid LUX AUTO TRANSPORT.

Your goal is to safely get your rig home as quickly and economically possible. DO NOT RELY ON A HAULER that "might" be able to pick up your rig "if" they will be in the area because they have another pick up nearby. Once again i got burned. Not monitarily this time, but it was to be picked up before the seller left on vacation. The "nearby pick up" the hauler was already scheduled to make fell through. He determined going that far to just pick up my Gear Up wasnt worth his time and trouble. So i ended up having to fly to Miami Beach with two days notice to get my rig myself.

Rent a 12' truck from Hertz-Penske. I can guarantee your rig will fit inside. The listed interior dimensions for rental trucks do NOT account for the wheel well boxes on the floor. I had a few inches to spare on each side of the motorcycle and sidecar tires.

2013 Ural Gear Up: "Yulia Nova"
Iowa

MajorFaversham
Party Member
Party Member

Post by MajorFaversham » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:46 pm

After you pick up your Hertz-Penske 12' rental truck, drive to Harbor Freight to buy a pair of loading ramps, chock blocks, and tie-down straps.

I didn't trust the look of the "ladder" type ramps, so I bought the solid aluminum ramps. I was loading by myself and I wanted a solid surface.

The set I purchased has door hinges connecting the ramps together and each ramp has an outer wall to prevent roll offs.

When you remove the hinge pins, the ramps separate to accommodate the width you need.ImageImage

Iowa

MajorFaversham
Party Member
Party Member

Post by MajorFaversham » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:24 pm

Next step: loading by yourself

Luckily, I found a nearby parking lot that had sloped landscaping coming down Fri the sidewalk. I backed the rental truck into the best spot where I could position the ramps so that they were close to horizontal to the grassy slope. I secured everything in the truck. Walked across the street to my motel and drove Yulia over. I made the turn sharp and went up the wheelchair ramp onto the sidewalk. Now I could drive down the slope onto my loading ramp "bridge" and right into the back of the truck with no problems.

I placed the wheel chocks on all wheels and used four 1" ratcheting tie-down straps to secure my rig to the wooden rails running the length of the inside walls of the truck. There were no D-ring tie-down spots installed in the truck so I made do.

I had more straps if needed, but it wasn't necessary. Also I'd rolled the tires onto 3 neoprene anti-fatigue floor mats I threw down so that when I kicked the chock blocks in place, they wouldn't slip.

I also got a 4 pack of those 1/2" thick pads at good old Harbor Freight for $8.99.Image

Iowa

solo1966
Party Member
Party Member

Post by solo1966 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:29 pm

Congrats I love my GUP 2017 have13500 miles on it now.
:foilhead: Love my GOD,country,and fear my government,2017 GU

Kthulu

Post by Kthulu » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:03 pm

Welcome aboard!
2015 M70 - "Orlog"