Idea: January/February Southern Arizona Rally in Quartzsite

Planning a local ride or a Rally? Let other folks know here so they can ride along.
Forum rules
This is the place to plan a ride or let others know about upcoming rides. Please post stories and/or pictures of the ride once it happens in the "Ride Reports" section. Please put the city and state of the rally or start of the ride so folks can attend.
tx2sturgis
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Idea: January/February Southern Arizona Rally in Quartzsite

Post by tx2sturgis » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:49 pm

I just got back from Quartzsite and wow, what an ideal place for a Ural Rally in January.

The weather in January is generally pleasantly warm, averaging around 50 at night and 70-80 during the day. Much of the USA was having snow and blizzards, and we were enjoying nice warm afternoons!

Lots of trails to ride, places to ride to, and things to see. Stores and vendors everywhere...whatever you need or want, its available.

Thousands of snowbird RVers are in the area for the winter and there are lots of campgrounds and vendors everywhere to support that community. During the 2 weeks surrounding the Big RV Tent Show, there is a LOT of traffic around Quartzite, but the weeks before or after would not be a problem.

I did not have my Ural along with me on this trip, so I missed out on riding some great trails in the area, but I did see a couple of Urals while I was there.

I did get to go along as a passenger on a small UTV and took some pictures of that area, near some petroglyphs.

Camping info:

Normal BLM (Bureau of Land Management) land is free to camp on for 2 weeks, then you have to move 25 miles to camp again for another 2 weeks. There are no facilities on public BLM land. But, there are sections of BLM land called LTVA, (Long Term Visitor Area) and they provide fresh water, dumpsters for trash, and small clean restrooms (pit toilets).

Staying at the LTVA areas costs $40 for 2 weeks, or $180 for up to 7 months. You have access to fresh water, dumpsters, and the restrooms.

If you are camping in the LTVA areas in a tent or van, car, SUV, whatever, with no holding tanks, you must camp within 500 feet of one of the pit toilets. If you are in an RV with black tanks of 10 gallons or more, you may camp anywhere you like.

Nice, clean showers are available in Quartzite at the Laundromat, $8 for 20 minutes. They have laundry machines and a small restaurant, so you can eat breakfast or lunch, get your clothes AND your body all squeaky clean. I made use of the showers a couple of times, I was there 3 weeks. I also had a portable shower tent at my campsite, so staying clean is not an issue.

I took hundreds of photos, from ground level and with my drone, and the area is vast and camping is dense in some areas and very spread out in others...so you have a choice of neighbors and 'communities'.

There are areas with expensive motorhomes, all the way down to people camping in cars and tents. The camping areas are mostly flat, and dry, hard packed ground. Some areas are rocky, some are similar to gravel, and some are simply dusty sand. There are scrubby trees in some areas, that provide some shade during the day. The area only gets a few inches of rain per year, so mud was never an issue for us.

Cautions for those with pets:

Coyotes roam the area at night, so pets MUST be looked after, and on a leash or kept close to camp after dark. Open and concealed carry in Arizona is legal without a permit, just FYI for those interested.

There are areas with Cholla, or 'jumping cactus', and if your pet finds one of these, and touches it, you will have a problem getting the thorns out.

I made a short trip to Mexico, and you can walk across at Los Algodones near Yuma and buy cheap prescription drugs, liquor, cigarettes, and even get quality dental work done at about 1/3 of the cost in the USA. I had dinner at Eureka Plaza, and it was GOOD! You DO need a passport to re-enter the USA.

I give the area a 2 thumbs up...maybe we can organize a rally in this area next winter....I even thought of a name if it hasn't already been used:

URSA: Ural Rally Southern Arizona

Anyone else interested?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by tx2sturgis on Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:17 am, edited 9 times in total.
Rural Ural in Tulia Texas!

Current Ural: 2013 Ural Solo sT

Previous Ural: 2013 Ural Patrol

tx2sturgis
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Re: Idea: January Southern Arizona Rally in Quartzite

Post by tx2sturgis » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:58 pm

More pics:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tx2sturgis
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by tx2sturgis » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:00 pm

My afternoon in Mexico, including a nice dinner and a 30 minute line to get back to the USA:

tx2sturgis
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by tx2sturgis » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:02 pm

Vendors everywhere, and places to rest after walking, for a beer and burger:

tx2sturgis
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by tx2sturgis » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:08 pm

Rigs of every size and price range:

sasha_j
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by sasha_j » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:08 pm

We were at the Plomosa Rd free 2 week area last month for a rally. Q in winter is fun although we prefer February after the RV Tent show is closed and crowding is less.
Sasha J

http://www.laura-n-sasha.com
2014 Ural Gear Up, Sage Green, expertly dialed in by UNIQUE RIDES in Fort Collins, Colorado
Full Time RV'er with late-model wife

stagewex
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by stagewex » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:46 pm

A favorite place for many years for the RV and dual-sport/ATV crowd.
Did you get to do any of the trails? I'm going to post that picture of the TW you snapped. I think it's someone I know from the TW200 forum.

Where Patton trained his men/tanks before heading to Europe.
Stagewex

2019 Honda CRF450L (Elec Start)
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)

tx2sturgis
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by tx2sturgis » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:20 pm

Here is a better shot of one of many TW200's that I saw, this one is equipped with a ham radio and antenna at Quartfest, (a ham radio event), and then a picture of a Ural rider (who is on the board here but I dont have his name) at the RTR event.
2018-01-25 15.04.44.jpg
2018-01-19 17.45.18.jpg

tx2sturgis
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by tx2sturgis » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:28 pm

One friend I met was trading pins and I swapped a couple for these:

tx2sturgis
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by tx2sturgis » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:32 pm

stagewex wrote:
Did you get to do any of the trails?

{snip}

Where Patton trained his men/tanks before heading to Europe.
I was not there with my bike so I didnt ride any trails, but there are LOTS of trails to ride. I wonder if the training you mention was at the Yuma Proving Grounds?

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:06 pm

Start at the beginning of the 16 pages in this thread over at the TW200 Forum. They go fast.
These guys spend most if not all of January and February in and around Quartzite, sometimes moving camp or their RV's from time-to-time. Real friendly bunch and some pretty hairy video's. If you want to ask questions or post I think you have to join but its free and you don't actually need to own or even want to own a TW.

Couple days ago an ATV'er had a fatal crash... no helmet/77 years old.

http://tw200forum.com/forum/trails-off- ... 018-a.html
Stagewex

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:17 pm

Here's one of my favorite videos they posted a couple weeks ago,Steep Hillclimb on a Stock TW:
We could do this easy on 3 wheels... right? They were practicing for a more challenging climb the next day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ozb97Bk058w
Stagewex

tx2sturgis
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Re: Idea: January Southern Arizona Rally in Quartzsite

Post by tx2sturgis » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:00 pm

A few years back, I looked at buying a TW200, but instead, I bought the Ural Solo sT.

Obviously they are different tools for different jobs, and I would like to have both, but space and money constraints allow me currently to only own one bike.

I needed that one bike to be able to handle light duty trail work, surface streets, and interstate travel, (in moderation).

I won't be climbing steep dirt trails, but I CAN travel at normal road speeds with ease.

I tend to think of the Ural as a heavy dual-purpose bike, skewed about 80/20, street/trail.

I can and have been able to keep the taillights of an aggressively ridden KLR-650 in sight!

8)

SonnyAZ
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by SonnyAZ » Thu May 10, 2018 2:59 pm

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: u

I’m sure there would be a few AZ Uralistas would be interested in such a gathering.
The Desert Dweller
'10 Taiga Gear-Up "Vladimir"
HackDog
"Misty Blue" Gone but not forgotten :cry:
HackDog in Training "Sheila"
NURD # AZ27

goldendale
Comrade
Comrade

Post by goldendale » Sat May 19, 2018 12:02 am

I would be interested.....