Riding a Ural in Texas this March

Planning a local ride or a Rally? Let other folks know here so they can ride along.
Forum rules
This is the place to plan a ride or let others know about upcoming rides. Please post stories and/or pictures of the ride once it happens in the "Ride Reports" section. Please put the city and state of the rally or start of the ride so folks can attend.
Scott in Shoreview
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Riding a Ural in Texas this March

Post by Scott in Shoreview » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:47 pm

Hey guys,
I'm planning on visiting my folks in Texas this March and considering a day or two of riding while I am down there. Ideally, I'd like to rent a Ural or other sidecar rig since I'll be traveling with my dog. I've found some places right in New Braunfels that rent bikes but nothing on 3 wheels. If any of you have any leads please let me know. Or, if you have a set up and you are willing to rent to an experienced and insured sidecar pilot please let me know. Definitely would take reliability over pretty...

Thanks so much in advance and I can be more specific about dates if you are interested.

Scott in Shoreview
'85 Voyager Hack
'79 Suzuki GS550
Scott in Shoreview
'85 Voyager Hack
'79 Suzuki GS550
Ural-less for now
scott@digital-dog-productions.com

Spyder
Comrade General
Comrade General

Re: Riding a Ural in Texas this March

Post by Spyder » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:52 am

Where in Texas will you be - New Braunfels? What dates?
Spyder
---------
'07 Gear-up - "War Pig" with 1945 MG-34 - "Buzz Kill"Image

"Why you buy motorcycle is broke from factory?" - Ukranian vendor representative at work

Scott in Shoreview
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Scott in Shoreview » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:37 am

New Braunfels is spot on. My folks live in an RV park just off the interstate until mid-April. I'll be down in mid-March with dates yet to be determined.

Looking forward to getting out of here as winter in MN sucks already. Spring yet??

Scott in Shoreview
'85 Voyager Hack
'79 Suzuki GS550
Scott in Shoreview
'85 Voyager Hack
'79 Suzuki GS550
Ural-less for now

Spyder
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Spyder » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:51 am

How do you feel about an '07 Gear-Up? When you get your dates squared away, let me know. We might could work something out.
Spyder
---------

"Why you buy motorcycle is broke from factory?" - Ukranian vendor representative at work

sputnik
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by sputnik » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:34 am

how cool is that! :cheers:

Scott in Shoreview
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Scott in Shoreview » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:28 am

Spyder,
I'm definitely interested. I'll square away the dates and let you know the week I'll be down. That would be so great to work something out. Did I read on ADV that this is the GU you flipped? :shock: If so I hope you all came out OK.

Stay tuned...

Scott in Shoreview
'85 Voyager Hack
'79 Suzuki GS550
Scott in Shoreview
'85 Voyager Hack
'79 Suzuki GS550
Ural-less for now

Spyder
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Spyder » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:51 pm

Yeah, same bike. I had a 260 lb. Prospect in the sidecar, too. It basically went a$$ over off the front and hack tires - I was turning left under power but snapped it right and rolled off the throttle (no brake) and sidecar inertia took care of the rest. Think of a triangle where the front tire is the lower left corner, the hack tire the lower right and the point of the triangle is the direction of the flip (if that makes sense). We sorta did an endo, I guess.

The bike went over forward at an angle, I jumped clear and hit the deck, rolled to my feet and looked back. The bike was on it's back and the Prospect was inside making a Hell of a racket. I tried to flip it over but in that deep sand it wasn't happening, but a bunch of the Brothers ran down there and we got 'er back on 3 wheels pretty quick (less the hack windscreen and both mirrors, a crooked spotlight and minor denting of the tub around it's base, slewed [but still straight] headlight and a broken rung on the luggage rack). He laid on the deck while we checked him out, and once we determined he was OK we started kicking him and calling him names (all in good fun, you understand) and he got up and shook it off like a good Marine.

The bike started right up and has been going strong ever since.

Prospect's sunglasses were broken but other than a few scrapes and bruises for both of us that was about it. When he patched into the Club he sent me an email saying he would be honored if I would allow him to take the name of the bike as his road name, to commemorate the event. I agreed, and he became Leatherneck War Pig (big bald dude on the right):

Spyder
---------

Scott in Shoreview
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Scott in Shoreview » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:32 pm

Whoa... not sure I'd want to be upsetting that guys apple cart. Glad everyone was smiling afterwards. Again, stay tuned as I solidify my plans. See you here and on ADV!!

Scott in Shoreview
'85 Voyager Hack
'79 Suzuki GS55
Scott in Shoreview
'85 Voyager Hack
'79 Suzuki GS550
Ural-less for now

Spyder
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Spyder » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:26 pm

Yeah, he's a big dude all right. Whenever we run into a particular issue that may need to be handled bluntly the call goes up to "Deploy War Pig" :lol:

But, on the other hand, if he likes and respects you he'd rip his own arm off and give it to you if he thought you could use it.
Spyder
---------