2011 CRAP Rally?

Planning a local ride or a Rally? Let other folks know here so they can ride along.
Forum rules
This is the place to plan a ride or let others know about upcoming rides. Please post stories and/or pictures of the ride once it happens in the "Ride Reports" section. Please put the city and state of the rally or start of the ride so folks can attend.
Rich Maund
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

2011 CRAP Rally?

Post by Rich Maund » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:39 am

OK..... I know its kinda early to ask about it. But this weather really has me feeling my arthritis and my hands aren't working worth a damn and it has me frustrated and looking forwards to Spring.

I just want you guys in NC to know that if you hold CRAP again next year, you already have a door prize set aside for your camp out! We were out in Virginia Beach a few days ago and stopped at the Romanian convienence store we have out there. Great selection of Moldovan wines, pomegranite wines and all the Baltika's and even excellent Polish beers. The owner always remembers us because of our Ural. (He donated the Baltika mug and Baltika hat that we brought as prizes to the FART Rally.) Well.. this time he has a new blue Baltika hat there on the counter. I ask him how much? He says "For you it's free.". I told him we appreciate it and it'll be the door prize for our first Ural Rally in the Spring.

No way I can top the excellent foods everyone donates to that rally. But I can try to pitch in some door prizes! I'll be sure to bring a Cordura tool roll to give away as well!

Come on Spring! :boogie:
yeah, I might be addicted to brake fluid. But I can stop any time I want.

Dwight
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Re: 2011 CRAP Rally?

Post by Dwight » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:43 pm

Rich Maund wrote:...I just want you guys in NC to know that if you hold CRAP again next year...
RICH!

What is this "IF" business? Good golly, the CRAP rally is one of those few things that are a sure bet - like Death and Taxes...

The day we stop holding the CRAP rally is the day I put my Urals up on the block. :D

It is great to know that the supply of door prizes is already growing. I'll get on the stick and see what I can scrounge up from the usual suspects. I can't promise to come across with anything to rival the Baltika hat and the tool roll; but I can promise that fried rice and/or lo mein will be in abundance; and of course, CRAP cookies are a given!

Dwight
'05 Tourist "Serenity" (We never forget our first...)
'93 Solo (She's gone West, but she'll never be forgotten...)
Ridin' the back roads of Apex and Holly Springs, NC
Visit my website: http://www.dwightrahl.com

Niteblues
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Niteblues » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:19 pm

Well... :?:

Is our crew up for another ride to CRAP? Ken, JD, Bob (all the way this time...), QBall/Speedbump, VTCycle, Syzygy, Sidman? How about you ReCycled? Wanna join us?

We can add more too- BinDerSmokDat, jlogan, reimerdavid, dieseldad?

Last year we went down the DelMarVa peninsula, crossed the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, went through Norfolk, then south to Rt 64West to Raleigh. On the way home we went due north on Rt15 to Culpepper VA, then to Gettysburg, then east to NJ. QBall blasted north a different way since he had to go to CT. It was two days to get there, camping just before the CBBT; one full day and two nights at the CRAP Rally; then two days to get back home, stopping overnight in Culpepper VA.
http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/view ... =2&t=11443
Scott

2004 Ural Patrol

"You can ride farther in one hour than you can walk in a day"

"Media bias contributes to erosion of the perception of truth." Tanya Marcum

johnR
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by johnR » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:56 am

Ohhhhh yeahhhhhhhh-the 5th annual CRAP or "Holy CRAP!!" rally shows no signs of going anywhere-but in the books that is. And Rich, I too am longing for the spring. Getting door prizes together is a fantastic idea (I've been working on some ideas myself). I've got to say-the CRAP has been a tremendous event and looks to keep going. The guys (and gals) that travel to get there makes it just that much better with their stories of the trip.
And Dwight......Dude, your support and that of your family has been a foundation that we have built on. And I thank you for that more than you know. Heck, Dwight made the first "drive by" and took pics for everyone to see.
Now you guys got me really wanting spring to get here.......
John
Dnepr MT-11

MartyL
Benevolent Emperor
Benevolent Emperor

Post by MartyL » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:52 am

:boogie: :clap: :hungry: :moto: :cheers: CRAP!!! CRAP!!! CRAP!!! I've got to make it in 2011!!!
2010 Gear Up
1976 Yamaha XS650C
2018 H-D FLHXS
Peace.... God Bless our brave soldiers defending our freedom. God Bless America!
As I get older, I see the wisdom in Hannibal Lecter......
Ladies,Do your part! Prevent MSB often! Save mankind!!!

Rich Maund
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Rich Maund » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:56 am

Well I've been hurting pretty bad this last week. 'Been in a running battle for years now with the termite company that does the inspections and warranty on our house. They have discovered the extortion racket based on threatening to "Cancel your warranty". You can't sell your house unless it is covered. They have all sorts of expensive and really poor working "solutions" to your crawl space moisture problem. Most of their solutions make the problem worse. Quite simply it has become an extortion racket. This summer I built a all new gutter system for the house. That was a lot of work for just a minor improvement in drainage. I had to work with my son to get under the house and build a new drain line for the air handler. That was a complete PITA but was the one real legitimate thing the inspector found that needed fixed. Finished that yesterday. Now they want to install a "poly barrier" under the house for $1200. I had to ask them what was wrong with the old one they installed for $600 back in 1996 that had a lifetime warranty? They haven't answered that yet. And they want to "Encapsulate" our crawl space and install a dehumidifier under the house for just $3200. Donna looked the equipment up on line and it costs $1800. But that aside, how on earth would that one unit circulate air efficiently around the whole thin space to take care of it properly? It would boost our electric bill too. They can't answer that. I figure they're saving that issue for future expensive fixes they can offer. So I am shopping around for centrifugal fans that I can install inside the access to suck air into the crawl space and lightly pressurize it and then blow moist air out the vents that surround the house. THAT would give it proper circulation and if I just run it on dry days would help immensly. I can build that for under $100. Of course they hate that solution because it cuts them out of the loop. I told them we've done that with our attic for decades and it works great. They just want to be your "Full Service" company! :roll: They are not content with just charging for an annual inspection anymore. They want to extort you into financial ruin.
Funny how this "moisture issue" didn't become a problem until after they installed the poly barrier. That was when the crooked behavior started.) They claim that every year the problem gets worse. But they won't let me watch them take the readings on the joists with their meter because they know they are lying. I know when I am being played.
So I am beat up tired and sore from this work and getting frustrated with myself because ten years ago it wouldn't have fazed me much. My hands have the "dropsies" and I haven't touched real customer work in a week. I am just grateful my customers have such saint like patience with me. Once I finish this vent fan installation I'll contact them back to tell them the "issues" are solved and that they can reinstate the warranty now. Ball is now in their court. Then they'll come by for an inspection and think up more BS to threaten us with.
I wish I could afford a separate certifed inspector and a lawyer as that is the only good solution I see to all this.

In short I am worn out, tired and sore and in need of something to look forwards to. CRAP fills the bill nicely. I hate the holidays. I hate the lack of sun and the crushing pain I get when it is cold and wet out. Spring is my only relief from it. So I latch onto that.

My thanks to you guys who run that rally. It really means a lot to me! I will happily support it any way I can.
yeah, I might be addicted to brake fluid. But I can stop any time I want.

Bural
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Bural » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:57 pm

Richard has been hurting too, Rich. He, also, is not looking forward to the cold winter. His customers have been patient and understanding. He can only do so much before the pain stops him, but he gets up and goes out to the shop every day. Hopefully, we can make the rally. I think we should consider having it later, maybe late in April or early May. Jan
Richard & Jan
1996 Ural Tourist R90 sold
Dnepr MT 16 R80 A work in progress
BMW R90/Dnepr Project (The Beepr)

WEGUNTER
Commissar
Commissar

Post by WEGUNTER » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:03 pm

Gosh: What I wouldn't give to be retired. Am so sick of work that I could throw up all over myself. Of course I don't like being broke either so I guess I gotta keep on working. Missed the BURP and the FART due to work travel and I am bound and determined not to miss the CRAP. Got the wife talked into coming with me so things are looking up.

Bill

BobM
Party Member
Party Member

Post by BobM » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:30 am

I like Jan's idea. April or early May could give us a beautiful spring to look forward to.

Bob :)
BobM
Knoxville, TN
2013 Ural Tourist
2004 Suzuki Burgman 400

WEGUNTER
Commissar
Commissar

Post by WEGUNTER » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:22 am

I'm in for what ever date you guys decide. If we go later in the Spring will need to get the campground reserved early since Jordan Lake can get booked up. Was doing a grocery run the other day and met a guy who lives near me that has a 08 Gear Up. Never even knew he existed. Got his phone number and will make sure he comes to the rally as well.

Bill Gunter
Pinehurst NC
2006 Raven

804elsabroso
Comrade
Comrade

Post by 804elsabroso » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:38 am

Anyone from Richmond VA (other than me) interested in making this trip? I haven't ridden in 2 weeks and I'm looking forward to spring...
2005 Ural Tourist
"The Black Hack"

WEGUNTER
Commissar
Commissar

Post by WEGUNTER » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:25 pm

Link up with the DC riders coming south. Syrgzy and others ought to be picking their route soon.

Bill